Herding Dogs advice

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Herding Dogs advice

Postby Gators Rule » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Lane wrote:I use a dog daily on my place and have bred and trained Border Collies for about 30 years. I would suggest that if you do not
have a dog training background your best approach would be to buy a started dog from a good working bloodline suited for
your type of stock. I would also suggest you work a deal with someone with good dogs to come and "dog-break" your cow
herd. This does not mean letting someone come and abuse your cattle, but to use strong dogs to train them to respect a dog.

A young, inexperienced dog can get run-off by mature cows that have never seen a dog. Training cows can be done in a couple
sessions with good dogs by gathering and holding up the herd. The dogs need to be able to put cows that want to "quit the bunch"
back into the herd and once they return leave them alone. If the group is really tough the dogs may need to bite most of the
cows a time or two, but they must not harass individuals. Once cows are "dog-broke" they will remember it the rest of their life.

To be successful in a real working environment a dog doesn't need a lot of commands, but you need control of the dog. Depending
on how you work your cattle will determine what type of dog you want. For woods or swamps baying-type dogs may work, but
they don't typically drive well, heelers are driving dogs and typically won't cover a herd well, Border collies are popular because
they can gather (that's their natural instinct) and they can be taught to drive as well as fetch.

Bottom line, in my opinion, you can't expect a young, untrained dog of any breed to be a lot of help and putting a young dog in
bad situations too many times will take strength out of them that you can never put back.

To answer your other question, I am in Louisiana and its hot, the length of hair or breed of dog does not make as much difference
as the nature of the individual. A pup that is "wrapped too tight" will burn himself out much quicker.

If I can be any more help, just ask. By the way, Len Dalton passed away last year.

Thank you everyone! Lots of great advice!

Lane, I'm going to take your advice and start looking around now.

David
0 x

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Postby plumber_greg » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:48 am

I got a border collie last year, maybe year before. He was trained and goin' to be in the some kind of Ok. futurity. He got kicked in the back hip, broke it and they removed his hip. I was able to buy him at a reduced price, however still high. My question, I want to get a female pup. How hard is it to train one with another. You gotta' realize, I seem to change commands every day. Snoop Dog just knows what I want, he looks at me, I point, say something, and he does it. Wouldn't take 50k for him. Would a started dog work better, or should a pup start with a dog she is gonna' be working with? Thanks for the opinions guys. Greg
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Greg, it depends on the dog in my experience. If they want to work really bad and have a lot of desire to please you then you can make some okay dogs that way.
As far as changing commands, my cousin is a working cowboy and his wife does dog trials and trains all of the dogs and he takes them when they're ready for real ranch work. He complained to her about the dogs pausing and not taking direction well and she asked him to show her... It turns out that they were using "come" and "away" differently and the dogs were learning on their own that the commands were switched. :lol: The dog that I have from them I just tell to "come" and he goes whichever direction he thinks is best. He has a list of commands that he knows but I only know, come, walk up, and G!@-D@#$%! and he does just fine with those.
0 x

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Postby plumber_greg » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:28 pm

CP, G!@-D@$%! is my favorite command!!!!! That usually occurs when Snoop Dog thinks he knows better than me what to do. gs
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack

Shanghai
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shanghai » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:46 pm

0 x
Don't ever give up, ever give in, ever stop trying, ever sell out. If you get knocked down, pick yourself up, brush yourself off and start where you left off. But never, ever, ever give up

Rniemann
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Rniemann » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:30 pm

I pick my first hangin tree cattle dog up this coming weekend. I have been researching for some time and this dog seems to be the ultimate breed. I guess we will see.
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”