any hog guys on here?

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Re: any hog guys on here?

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:21 pm

rla442 wrote:I've also tossed around raising a couple pigs. I've heard that too hot of an electric fence will kill a pig. Is there any fact to that and if so, how hot of a charger do you need?

Feeder pigs will be fine, weaners it will give them a heart attack, but you will probably get feeders.

trappersteve wrote:Thanx tb I may keep a sow or two for breeding, do I need to feed them ant different . I don't want them too big for breeders probably about 300 pounds or so

Just don't feed breeding gilts any palean, which is in a lot of commercial finishing rations.
Breed her at 7 months, if the time scale for farrowing works out for you.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Good thread. I have facilities to raise a couple hundred probably and if I loose my mind I just might try it lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

PBangus
Beginner
Beginner

Postby PBangus » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:41 pm

We do a couple of hogs a year, and a couple for my daughter and her family. Sturdy fencing can't be overstated. They are tough on everything. A big ol' mud is also a must. They do not like the extreme hat at all and if not careful you could lose a few. I have a sprinkler set up on a timer that goes of 3 time a day for 1/2 hour, and of course the mud hole in the shade. Best pork I have ever had. Can't eat store bought anymore! Good luck.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:10 pm

My market pigs always got a starter, a grower and a finisher. I was using ACCO feed at the time, but I don't remember the recommended weights when a switch was to happen. Experimented once and started my finisher about 30 days sooner than recommended. Ended up with the best pork I ever produced.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:44 pm

we raise two of pigs every year. I have a friend who raises show hogs and I buy her culls when they are 6 weeks old. Our pen is elevated on skids with a board floor and roof on one end. It is easy to keep clean and easy to load into and out of when it is time for the pigs to make the final journey. I fed a good quality pig feed that does not contain paylean nor medicated, plus they get our extra milk.
A fresh source of water is important too.
As the others said, homegrown pork is the best. I like the show bred pigs because they tend to be leaner with a lot of muscle mass. Tender and tasty!
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:09 pm

Since Chippie brought up show pigs, you might make sure to ask about a stress gene carrier if you go that route. To many pigs just fall over dead because of that.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:01 am

I haven't had any problems with that Slick and the only thing that gets the pigs during our Fair in September is the heat. Our barn is old with a low roof and it gets hot in there. We've been waiting for a new building for about 15 years. :(
The industry is working to eliminate the gene. My friend's pigs are not carriers.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:09 am

chippie wrote:I haven't had any problems with that Slick and the only thing that gets the pigs during our Fair in September is the heat. Our barn is old with a low roof and it gets hot in there. We've been waiting for a new building for about 15 years. :(
The industry is working to eliminate the gene. My friend's pigs are not carriers.

Pleased to hear they are trying to rid it. I've seen those hogs vibrate walking down the isle. Not pretty when the kid is washing one, its vibrating and then falls over dead.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:24 am

people are getting wise because many carriers' carcasses will not pass inspection because it affects the quality of meat.
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:11 am

PSS, and PSE is most of the time only in hamp, and hampx, and the number of pigs carrying it has reduced greatly since the packers threaten to quit buying hamps.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”