Accidents Happen so quickly.

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
M5farm
GURU
GURU

Accidents Happen so quickly.

Postby M5farm » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:35 am

Ran over my dog (blue) Sunday morning with the tractor. I was building a fence and was going to move the pallet I had all of my stuff on. I drove up to it and inserted the forks I lifted the pallet and put it in reverse and backed up and felt him under the back tire. I got off of him and he was yelping and drug himself out from under the tractor. I got off and tried to calm him down and checked his rear end. Obvious dislocation and breaks by the movement. I was a mile from the house so I jumped back on the tractor to go get my gun thinking I have to put him down. I get to the house and jump in the jeep and go back up there and he is standing and is toting his left rear leg. I put him in the jeep and as soon as I move he jumps out. (He does not like to ride) so I arm him up and hold him while trying to drive back to the house.
I put him in a carrier and start making calls to the vet offices. Our LA vet that was on call was in church and the answering service said he would not be available till after 1pm, It was 930am. My SA vet does not work on weekends. My cousin works for him and took him over to her house for her to look and see what I needed to do. She called him and described the injury and he gave her a recommendation. Blue had no external injuries and was not bleeding anywhere. He had no apparent internal injuries and was not swelling anywhere. Vet told me to keep him in the carrier and administer the pain meds to keep him sedated and resting and have him at their office this morning. My wife took him over there and they have him sedated and will get the xrays and call me later and let me know what the prognosis is and if there is anything they can do. It was a tough Day.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

CottageFarm
-

Re: Accidents Happen so quickly.

Postby CottageFarm » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:40 am

I'm really sorry D, that just sucks. Hoping for a positive prognosis for you
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:42 am

Hope everything works out for Blue.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:43 am

I can't say on here what I think of your Vet. :mad:
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Tim/South
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Tim/South » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:47 am

I hope he gets better.
Good dogs are hard to come by.
0 x
“You cannot get the water to clear up
Until you get the pigs out of the creek.”

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:49 am

Sorry to hear of your stressful Sunday morning, sounds like Blue is going to be alright with rest and meds. Good luck.

Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:03 am

I'm with 3way. We have two local vet clinics here, and one of them has a vet on duty for emergencies 24/7. I'm not sure about the other one. It used to be a one-man show, and of course he couldn't be available all the time, but I think he has another vet there now.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:13 am

3waycross wrote:I can't say on here what I think of your Vet. :mad:

3way- I Too was disappointed. we have used our SA vet for over 20 years and is as good as they come and probably the best LA vet out there but will not make farm calls anymore I know his hours and what level of service he gives( he would have met me at his office if he had of been Home) . I thought I had a emergency vet ( has always responded and even fixed a dog on Christmas year before last)but apparently The wrong DR. was on call this past weekend. I called a couple more Emergency vets and they acted like it was not urgent either. So I made the decision to keep him comfortable and get him to the vet this morning that I trust.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:17 am

Hope Blue is fine. Hang in there M5. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:36 pm

Broken femur . He will be in hospital a few days but prognosis is good. According to vet. I'm changing his name to lucky blu
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:00 pm

M5farm wrote:Broken femur . He will be in hospital a few days but prognosis is good. According to vet. I'm changing his name to lucky blu

Great news!

I wish him a speedy recovery.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:11 pm

I know from experience that the vet can't do a whole lot until swelling goes down and Blue is stable (not thinking I'm going to die, or m5 just went for his gun...... Oh shyt I'm okay... Really dad.... factor! :lol: ) Sounds like all is good, and blue will be fine ..... How about your wallet? Including the guilt factor?
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:13 pm

That sucks. The worst part is feeling so guilty.
I ran over one of mine last year. I saw a blur of fur in my side mirror as I was going around a tight spot. He jumped off the bed to escape the tree branches that scrape over the back of the truck and landed on the hillside and then rolled down under the back duel wheels. He never made a sound but took off like a shot. I grabbed a rifle and spent an hour looking for him and never did find him. Finally I gave up and went back to the truck and he was there on the bed breathing really fast and hard. It took me two hours to get him to a LA vet that I'm friends with and by then he was semi okay... but man I felt like shyt. I can't believe he got a clean bill of health after that and I wish I had one tenth of his toughness.
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Guilt has been working on me all day yesterday and today. He is 1/2 lab and 1/2 Aussie. His sire (Aussie) got hit by a truck 10years ago. The hip that was injured back then aggravates him and he totes that leg when he runs. My youngest said blu would be fine cause of his daddy. He goes with me everywhere around the house and in the pastures and I took him dove hunting and he was retriveing very good.

I had already decided that if they had to take his leg I was going to have him put down. When my wife called and asked what I wanted to do to get his leg fixed she was afraid I was going to tell them to put him down and not spend 600.00 bucks on him. Guilt won that round.
0 x

Deepsouth
GURU
GURU
Location: where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far north

Postby Deepsouth » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:34 pm

I hate that happened M5! I hope he heals up quickly.
0 x
I don't plant taters and I don't plant cotton but I keep rolling along.

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”