Home made dog food

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Re: Home made dog food

Postby branguscowgirl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:53 am

Contrary to what some people believe, dogs can develop deadly pancreatitis from eating many "people" foods.
Also certain "raw diets" are not balanced. A dog can literally starve to death eating say, just chicken. If you want your dog to live a long healthy life I suggest you talk to you vet about it.
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:03 am

As for what allforage said about "dogs living along time without scientific kibble", you are correct sir. But not long enough. The average life span of our pets has increased considerably from the knowledge that we have gained over the years. And I for one will take advantage of every bit of it to keep my dogs healthy and around as long as I can. :tiphat:
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:16 am

OwnedByTheCow wrote:We if my dad brings the dog hunting with him he can hunt for his own food!!
Since it will be a bird dog does that mean he can eat wild bird?

You do not want to let the dog do that. It will ruin it as a bird dog and can make it sick.

I have a friend who cooks for her dogs (makes their own food). The cost does not matter to her, and it can get expensive. She supplements with vitiamins.
I agree with branguscowgirl. Find a good quality commercial dog food. And I agree with dun. Read the labels and then determine what is the best for your dog.

This link is helpful.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/homemade-dog-food

Talk to your veterinarian about your dog's diet and health care.

ETA another link: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_7/features/Home-Prepared-Dog-Food-Nutritional-Information_20568-1.html
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”