What kind of farm dog would you recommend?

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
FarmersDigest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: What kind of farm dog would you recommend?

Postby FarmersDigest » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:08 am

CaddoFarms wrote:A lot of guys around here run those BMCs on hogs and I have been around some great ones. Never had a chance to work with one but have thought about buying some before and might in the future. Weenie dogs are some of the funniest quirkiest dogs I've been around but have had more clients have trouble with potty training than anything else lol.

Another thought is a Weimaraner, I have a ten year old one and he's been one of my most loyal and obedient dogs, short haired good family dog. They can be a similar challenge when young as a lab especially chewing things but great trainable dogs and a shorter coat than a lab.

For hogs, that would make sense, as hogs can be real mean! Man I'll have to do some research, as you guys have helped me think of a couple of breeds I'd like to get! Thank you for responding.
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:24 am

Never owned one but am told that the Pyrenees/Anatolian cross is an even better dog.[/quote]
That's what my buddy has. Burt & Ernie. Real laid back. They watch the goats. Every once in a while they look at you like " I could take you down if I wanted to..." But ive never seen em be aggressive.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

FarmersDigest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FarmersDigest » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:32 am

Kingfisher wrote:Never owned one but am told that the Pyrenees/Anatolian cross is an even better dog.

That's what my buddy has. Burt & Ernie. Real laid back. They watch the goats. Every once in a while they look at you like " I could take you down if I wanted to..." But ive never seen em be aggressive.[/quote]

That would make sense, I really think at times, it's best to mix breeds. Usually you get the best of each breed, and less of the health problems. Lol that sounds like what we would want! Thank you for responding!
0 x

CaddoFarms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby CaddoFarms » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:36 pm

If your after a LGD I highly, highly agree the Pyrenees would be great. My neighbor has two and they spend their whole lives amoungst chickens goats and sheep and they have never lost anything to a coyote or other predator. It is one of my future breed possibilities also. And yes mixed breeds are hard to beat in health and often times temperament. Purebreds in many cases have been bred selecting for single traits like size or coats it has lead to many breeds with chronic issues including bad temperaments (example mean Chihuahuas lol). I think mixed breed dogs are kinda like the benefits we see cross breeding cattle.
0 x

FarmersDigest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FarmersDigest » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:19 am

CaddoFarms wrote:If your after a LGD I highly, highly agree the Pyrenees would be great. My neighbor has two and they spend their whole lives amoungst chickens goats and sheep and they have never lost anything to a coyote or other predator. It is one of my future breed possibilities also. And yes mixed breeds are hard to beat in health and often times temperament. Purebreds in many cases have been bred selecting for single traits like size or coats it has lead to many breeds with chronic issues including bad temperaments (example mean Chihuahuas lol). I think mixed breed dogs are kinda like the benefits we see cross breeding cattle.

I love how noble and loyal they look. Now that's awesome, never losing an animal. I couldn't agree more! That's why if I ever go for pure bred dogs, I find a real breeder. One that pays the good money for their breeding dogs, tests, and only breed for quality, temperament, and health. Rather than money! Yes, the health problems are getting to be so bad! Lol yes devil Chihuahuas! Mixed breeds are great! Yes, agreed again, cross cattle.
0 x

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Postby Named'em Tamed'em » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:13 am

We've had heelers for 40 years, always been good with my kids. Some were hard headed though. Females only here.
0 x
Get over it! It could have been alot worse.

HOSS
GURU
GURU

Postby HOSS » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:25 pm

I have a red heeler and a German shepherd pup. The heeler is the smartest dog I have ever owned no contest. Be prepared for full time energy with a heeler though. They are a challenge as a pup.....nothing is safe. They will chew and bite on everything. Like someone else said they need a job. Mine, if not kept busy, makes a hobby out of collecting the ear tags off of cows. He will grab their ear tag and pull it off. Then he brings the tag into the garage. This GS pup is helping keep him out of trouble since he now has a buddy to occupy him while I'm at work.
0 x

dbrews1954
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby dbrews1954 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:11 pm

lot of good reading and info here, going through the same thing, i have a 12 year old rott, i have had 2 of them great dogs, now i bought a farm with some beef cattle, been looking at dogs, would like to try a different breed even though i think the rott could be trained to herd, they are the oldest herding dog there is, they go back to the roman days, but have decided to try a heeler, have not got him yet, but put money dn, hope i did not make a mistake by not going with a rott, well good luck on finding a new farm dog
dave
0 x

Kell-inKY
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Kell-inKY » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:37 am

Our farm came with a Great Pyrenees. Awesome dog, but ancient, we liked him so much that when he passed we got another one. This dog was great around chickens but then ate a donkey foal!, she had to go, did not want her eating a calf when the time came. So since we don't learn our lesson well we went and bought 2 full blooded pups to "raise them right". Put them around our chickens and they did great, then one day they both started killing and nearly wiped out our entire flock. $300 lesson there. I won't own another Pyrenees, plus the long hair is a pain. But I sure did like the old guy, constantly walking the perimeter on guard.

We are left with our mutt from the dog pound of my sons. My vote is a mutt
0 x

fenceman
GURU
GURU

Postby fenceman » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:58 am

Anydog will do, as long as its a border collie
0 x
You can all go to he//.
I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:58 pm

Kell-inKY wrote:Our farm came with a Great Pyrenees. Awesome dog, but ancient, we liked him so much that when he passed we got another one. This dog was great around chickens but then ate a donkey foal!, she had to go, did not want her eating a calf when the time came. So since we don't learn our lesson well we went and bought 2 full blooded pups to "raise them right". Put them around our chickens and they did great, then one day they both started killing and nearly wiped out our entire flock. $300 lesson there. I won't own another Pyrenees, plus the long hair is a pain. But I sure did like the old guy, constantly walking the perimeter on guard.

We are left with our mutt from the dog pound of my sons. My vote is a mutt

Never have seen one like that. Ours would actually lead the geese from the back yard down to the tank to take a daily swim....then bring htem back....
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

PBangus
Beginner
Beginner

Postby PBangus » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:25 pm

I have had Pyrenees for about 10 years and would not trade them for the world. Do an awesome job keeping unwanted visitors out or the pasture and the yard. Great with all of my animals, (cows, chickens, cats, goats). Every time I have a calf born They in the pasture they are right there...not too close... But there, and will stay out there until mom feels like it's time to bring the calf up. Awesome dogs.
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”