What kind of farm dog would you recommend?

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
FarmersDigest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: What kind of farm dog would you recommend?

Postby FarmersDigest » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:06 pm

dun wrote:I think you have about the ideal right now. With a little training it can taught to herd also.

I would love to have another Rottweiler, but my hubby thinks they are too much of a liability. Ours now is going to be 11 and he's not as young as he used to be.
0 x

FarmersDigest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FarmersDigest » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:10 pm

Alan wrote:For a rott ten is pretty old, but you know this already. Also if your current dog has always been a town dog there's a chance you may lose him/her just letting him/her run on the farm. Whole new set of rules for dogs and cats moving to a farm. Some cattle will attack them, yotes will try to take down a old dog, etc.

We are on our second lab/Chesapeake bay cross, I have no idea how that cross popped up as a pup when our first one past. The two best dogs ever, they protect their territory by barking, play with the grand kids and lay at our feet, or hog the front of the wood stove. Great dogs, labs, lab crosses (the right cross).

Yeah, our vet can't believe it! Our dog Jude, who we just put down, was almost 13. He was a golden retriever/border collie cross. The best dog ever! The vet said we can make dogs live a long time! My rott goes where I go. My parents have 40 acres and we go up there, he stays with me. When they watch him for us, he stays where they are. He is a big momma's boy. Yeah, I wouldn't use him now, I couldn't handle him getting injured.

I've seen those being listed a lot around here! They sound like a great mix!
0 x

FarmersDigest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FarmersDigest » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:15 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:I am going to always say a lab is the perfect all around dog. Mine are taught to live cohesively even with the chickens and cats at a very young age. However I wouldn't trust a "bird dog" that hadn't been raised with chickens.
I adored my Rot/Lab cross. But she was a bit dog aggressive.

I have bred labs and done a lot of research. You have to be very careful (as with any pure bred) of genetic disorders. If you go the route of a breeder make sure the parents have been tested free for eyes, hips, knees and renal dysplasias. It saves a lot of heart ache later.

I have heard stories about labs being a bit high strung and stubborn. Yeah, my rott is a little dog aggressive, but it usually takes the other dog acting aggressive first.

Yeah, I've heard you have to be careful with a lot of breeds, as so many people are just worried about making a buck. Rather than caring about the breed and producing quality pups/dogs.
0 x

FarmersDigest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FarmersDigest » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:17 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:A mutt that ain't hard headed, but has brains enough to listen to you.
Usually the strays that just show up fall into this category.

Lol very true! I don't seem to be lucky enough to get strays.
0 x

FarmersDigest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FarmersDigest » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:19 pm

Nesikep wrote:I think Blue heelers are pretty good dogs if they have working parents..

Friend has a Pitt bull as a farm dog.. a lot of bark but a very friendly dog if the boss says you're a friend.. that dog adopts all the orphaned farm animals..chicks, kittens, lambs, piggies and calves all have a friend with him!

I like blue heelers, but I do like bigger dogs.

Pitts are good dogs, but again hubby thinks those are too much of a liability. Thanks to the media!
0 x

FarmersDigest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FarmersDigest » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:21 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:A Corgi! Ours loves the kids, barks at strangers, and helps with the cattle. She sleeps on my bed, and goes to all the shows with me. I have had just about every type of dog, and I can honestly say a Corgi is the best dog I have ever had. Calm, cool, and in control! lol

My cousin has one of those, very cute! I just think that they are too small. I worry about them getting under my feet, and the smaller they are, the more likely your able to break a bone. :( My rott likes to be where I am and sometimes I don't see him. Poor guy.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:43 am

One of the reasons I like the heelers is they are a little less dependent on human interaction than collies (the worst) and labs.. I can't speak much for any other breeds..

Maremas are also very good dogs and sound like a good match for what you're looking for.. Defend the farmyard, bark at strangers and wildlife, good with kids, and are a bit bigger... You can see them at night well too, though they camouflage in snow pretty good (they're white)
My friend and his GF had one, when she moved out and moved about 2 miles away, there was no way the dog wanted to go with her, so my friend inherited the dog... it wasn't keen on leaving the farm unattended.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:57 am

Nesikep wrote:One of the reasons I like the heelers is they are a little less dependent on human interaction than collies (the worst) and labs.. I can't speak much for any other breeds..

Maremas are also very good dogs and sound like a good match for what you're looking for.. Defend the farmyard, bark at strangers and wildlife, good with kids, and are a bit bigger... You can see them at night well too, though they camouflage in snow pretty good (they're white)
My friend and his GF had one, when she moved out and moved about 2 miles away, there was no way the dog wanted to go with her, so my friend inherited the dog... it wasn't keen on leaving the farm unattended.

The OP doesn't want have to brush a lot of hair. Wouldn't Maremeluts need brushing.

dun, I'm the keeper of my daughter's 2 Pit Bulls and while they are wonderful dogs with the folks they know and recogonize, as well as other dogs when introduced slowly and properly, they will take a stranger down in a flash if they perceive thereat. I certainly don't worry when I'm out of town and my wife is home alone.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:26 am

We don't have a dog, and I hate it for my kids. They'd love to have one. I live on one of the busiest roads in my county. A friend of mine has a corgi/blue heeler. It's a nice dog. Smart and loyal.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

suzorse
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby suzorse » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:49 am

LGD s are great to have if you have livestock and predators , they will also guard the family
they also work better in pairs , that is why you always see more than 1 with sheep , they are raised with the stock they are guarding also , but they do go threw teenage years , they are free thinkers
and do not do well with obedience training , most you can not train that way , these are the breeds most common Akbash , Pyrenees , Anatolian, Maremma , or any of these 4 crossed together , these are large dogs , read up on LGDs before going with these breeds, most do not need daily brushing Pyrenees may need to be shaved once in a while, for a general farm dog other breeds to consider are English Shepherd , Australian
Shepherds , other good dogs are X bred , Border , Aussey , heeler , I have had quite a few of this cross
and they are smart dogs ,
Suzanne
0 x
long time member of Keeping a Family Cow
permitted raw milk dairy 006
Ginger the Jersey/Highlander/Angus/Hereford milk cow
Sweet Pea Jersey/Hereford milk cow
and the ever changing
bottle calves

FarmersDigest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FarmersDigest » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:10 am

Nesikep wrote:One of the reasons I like the heelers is they are a little less dependent on human interaction than collies (the worst) and labs.. I can't speak much for any other breeds..

Yeah the couple that are on the farm now, own a border collie, and man that thing is every where all the time! He's very loyal though. I like loyal.

I love the livestock guardian dogs. We were thinking of getting a couple of them, but they usually don't like to be in the house. I like the idea of a house dog. :D
0 x

FarmersDigest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FarmersDigest » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:13 am

Bigfoot wrote:We don't have a dog, and I hate it for my kids. They'd love to have one. I live on one of the busiest roads in my county. A friend of mine has a corgi/blue heeler. It's a nice dog. Smart and loyal.

Yeah that would be hard, but I understand why you don't want to take the chance. My Aunt had their dog run out on a busy road, and was hit by a car. It was the worst thing ever!

Wow, that's a mix. I bet a small dog though. Right?
0 x

FarmersDigest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FarmersDigest » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:22 am

suzorse wrote:LGD s are great to have if you have livestock and predators , they will also guard the family
they also work better in pairs , that is why you always see more than 1 with sheep , they are raised with the stock they are guarding also , but they do go threw teenage years , they are free thinkers
and do not do well with obedience training , most you can not train that way , these are the breeds most common Akbash , Pyrenees , Anatolian, Maremma , or any of these 4 crossed together , these are large dogs , read up on LGDs before going with these breeds, most do not need daily brushing Pyrenees may need to be shaved once in a while, for a general farm dog other breeds to consider are English Shepherd , Australian
Shepherds , other good dogs are X bred , Border , Aussey , heeler , I have had quite a few of this cross
and they are smart dogs ,
Suzanne

Yeah, I've done some reading about them. I've read that they are a dog that stay with the breed of animal they want to, not what you want them to protect. Well my rott went through stages, but it was with challenging me. Oh that's good, no daily brushing. I grew up with Malamutes and I don't like all the hair. Loved the breed though, and man is that a stubborn breed. :D Yeah and with how big the LGDS are, I worry about the amount of food they will need.

I liked the idea of Aussies, border's, but I just don't think they are too protective. The ones I've met welcome anyone and everyone. They are very smart, and that's one of the thing's that attracted me to those breeds.
0 x

AllForage
GURU
GURU

Postby AllForage » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:47 am

If you like the guard dog thing talk to some Great Pyrenees folks. My understanding is that they are the freindliest of all those breeds. Although every Maremma I have met has been a real sweetheart. They will adapt to whatever lifestyle you want them too. And every dog needs to be brushed unless you like hair all over all the time.

I like heelers but they are a commitment and take effort.

I think there is only one place for pitbulls and that is not breathing. Period. My kids are not allowed anywhere there is one. I will stop there.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:24 am

The biggest drawback to the serious herding breeds (heelers, aussies, BCs, etc. is their commitment to doing a job. If you don;t have a job for them they will find one on their own. You probably won;t like the one the choose for themselves.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”