Collie question

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
User avatar
Deepsouth
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3069
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:05 pm
Location: where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far north

Collie question

Postby Deepsouth » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:16 pm

Is there a breed of miniature English Collie?
0 x
I don't plant taters and I don't plant cotton but I keep rolling along.

User avatar
M5farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5158
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:06 am
Location: Sunshine State

Re: Collie question

Postby M5farm » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:35 pm

You looking for a lap dog?
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

User avatar
branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6040
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Collie question

Postby branguscowgirl » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:42 pm

Some believe that the Sheltie or Shetland Sheep dog is a miniature Collie. Though a member of the Collie lineage, they are not really "a miniature". Just a smaller package of their own breed.
From what I understand........
I once had a Sheltie.
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

User avatar
Deepsouth
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3069
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:05 pm
Location: where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far north

Re: Collie question

Postby Deepsouth » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:49 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:Some believe the Sheltie or Shetland Sheep dog is a miniature Collie. Though a member of the Collie lineage, they are not really "a miniature". Just a smaller package of their own breed.
From what I understand........
I once had a Sheltie.


yeah I knew about the sheltie and thought it might be a miniature Engish but googled it and found out they are a different breed. I thought that one may be what i want but it says they bark alot. I don't need that. Google does not show a miniture collie.


And yes I'm looking for a lap dog!
0 x
I don't plant taters and I don't plant cotton but I keep rolling along.

User avatar
branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6040
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Collie question

Postby branguscowgirl » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:56 pm

They do not always bark a lot. Like any breed, individual personality and training count.
They look exactly like a miniature Lassie. Their hair takes a lot of grooming! The ones I have been around could be sneaky nippers, (like many herding dogs.)
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11116
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Collie question

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:03 pm

Corgi/heeler makes a nice small dog.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Deepsouth
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3069
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:05 pm
Location: where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far north

Re: Collie question

Postby Deepsouth » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:06 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:They do not always bark a lot. Like any breed, individual personality and training count.
They look exactly like a miniature Lassie. Their hair takes a lot of grooming! The ones I have been around could be sneaky nippers, (like many herding dogs.)


It also said that they are very intelligent, great with kids and people they know but a little shy around strangers but they shed bad. BCG, have you ever had one or been around them much?
0 x
I don't plant taters and I don't plant cotton but I keep rolling along.

User avatar
branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6040
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Collie question

Postby branguscowgirl » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:12 pm

Deepsouth wrote:
branguscowgirl wrote:They do not always bark a lot. Like any breed, individual personality and training count.
They look exactly like a miniature Lassie. Their hair takes a lot of grooming! The ones I have been around could be sneaky nippers, (like many herding dogs.)


It also said that they are very intelligent, great with kids and people they know but a little shy around strangers but they shed bad. BCG, have you ever had one or been around them much?

Yes I had a tri color, my friend had a blue merle. True that they are intelligent, mine was shy also. He would sneak up behind and bite strangers in the back of the leg.
If someone other than me tried to move him away, he would bite them. Very protective.
The hair was a nightmare. Tangled and matted if you did not groom a lot. They are double coated, so you have a thick undercoat to remove in the summer. Forget about shaving it off, because they look hideous shaved! Plus they need it for insulation.
Personally, I would never have one again. But some people do not mind the grooming and personalities will very as with any breed, so I would hate to label them all as "nippers".
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

User avatar
branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6040
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Collie question

Postby branguscowgirl » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:14 pm

I hear and see a lot of good things about miniature schnauzers. And Corgis are pretty neat too.
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

CaddoFarms
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Caddo Mills, TX

Re: Collie question

Postby CaddoFarms » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:34 am

Bigfoot wrote:Corgi/heeler makes a nice small dog.


That would be a cool cross. I have seen corgis bred with some breeds that made the most interesting cool dogs, my favorite was a corgi/weimaraner my wife wanted that dog bad lol.
0 x

User avatar
Deepsouth
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3069
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:05 pm
Location: where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far north

Re: Collie question

Postby Deepsouth » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:45 pm

CaddoFarms wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Corgi/heeler makes a nice small dog.


That would be a cool cross. I have seen corgis bred with some breeds that made the most interesting cool dogs, my favorite was a corgi/weimahappens theife wanted that dog bad lol.


I have a good friend who raises corgis to sell. I like them but he is getting $600 apiece for them. Thats to high for my taste. Maybe I should throw that old long haired winner dog over in with one of his gips and see what happens. :lol2:
0 x
I don't plant taters and I don't plant cotton but I keep rolling along.

Angus Cowman
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7151
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:35 pm
Location: the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)

Re: Collie question

Postby Angus Cowman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

They are breeding Corgis and heelers they call them Cowboy Corgis
0 x
If they had to actually work with a Spade and Hoe versus electing them we would all be better off (Caustic Burno 2011)

User avatar
branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6040
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Collie question

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:17 pm

Angus Cowman wrote:They are breeding Corgis and heelers they call them Cowboy Corgis

There sure are some cute crosses. I would check all the humane societies. :D
Ours are loaded with small dogs. The heart breakers are the ones that the owners have passed away. :(
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

User avatar
Deepsouth
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3069
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:05 pm
Location: where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far north

Re: Collie question

Postby Deepsouth » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:35 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:
Angus Cowman wrote:They are breeding Corgis and heelers they call them Cowboy Corgis

There sure are some cute crosses. I would check all the humane societies. :D
Ours are loaded with small dogs. The heart breakers are the ones that the owners have passed away. :(


The thing is when I was a boy I had a collie but I'm not sure what it was. It was colored like an English but I don't remember it being as big as an English. It may have been a Shetland. It would work cows, tree squirrel, bay snakes and run deer. What more could a boy ask for. It would fight other male dogs and was pretty protective at the house.
0 x
I don't plant taters and I don't plant cotton but I keep rolling along.

ram
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:02 am

Re: Collie question

Postby ram » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:16 pm

I too had a collie when I was a wee lad.
0 x


Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests