Reagan's Runt

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
kucala5
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Reagan's Runt

Postby kucala5 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:46 am

Our Jack Russell, Reagan had her pups on Friday. The runt is truly a runt; small and not vigorous like the other four. I'm making sure she gets latched on every two hours to nurse, otherwise she gets pushed out. Anything else I need to do or watch for? We've only raised one other litter and the 'runt' fended for himself just fine. We go to the vet tomorrow but in the meantime suggestions are appreciated.
0 x
Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
Abraham Lincoln

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Reagan's Runt

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:28 am

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. I'd make sure Reagan gets plenty of nutrition. Cute pic, thanks for sharing.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:52 am

It could be a long process. My lab had one in a litter of 8 and I was still taking it inside to eat when they were 6 weeks old. She turned out to be a great dog but had some food aggression issues later in life.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:12 pm

We had a Basset that had between 11 and 13 pups each time (6 litters). Even with her first litter (13) show would divide them about in half and put one half on each side of the welping box. If one crossed over she would whine like crazy till I moved it back to it's own group. The runt could go back and forth and nurse with either group. We were trying to figure out how we were going to deal with all those pups and Becky figured it all by herself.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Make sure that the runt is getting stimulated to defecate ok to. (Just as important as nursing.) I am sure that you probably know, that is the only way that they can eliminate for awhile.

Sometimes even when you are putting (the runt) on a teat, they do not get enough because of a weaker suck reflex. So watch for a full belly and a good elimination. :D

They are adorable!!
Last edited by branguscowgirl on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:02 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:Make sure that the runt is getting stimulated to defecate ok to. (Just as important as nursing.) I am sure that you probably know, that is the only way that they can eliminate for awhile.

Sometimes even when you are putting (the runt) on a teat, they do not get enough because of a weaker suck reflex. So watch for a full belly. :D

They are adorable!!

of course that means licking it's butt every time it eats! :shock:
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:05 pm

3waycross wrote:
branguscowgirl wrote:Make sure that the runt is getting stimulated to defecate ok to. (Just as important as nursing.) I am sure that you probably know, that is the only way that they can eliminate for awhile.

Sometimes even when you are putting (the runt) on a teat, they do not get enough because of a weaker suck reflex. So watch for a full belly. :D

They are adorable!!

of course that means licking it's butt every time it eats! :shock:

Don't forget 3way, every time it wakes up also! :D

Actually, try using a tissue for that.
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

kucala5
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kucala5 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:46 pm

Thankfully Reagan is being very attentive to her needs in that regard. The big kids are just pushing and shoving too much. There is dramatic size difference between her and the other four. Just got in from feeding the cows though and she was latched on and sucking hard. Hoping she's gaining some strength and will.
0 x
Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
Abraham Lincoln

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:30 pm

kucala5 wrote:Thankfully Reagan is being very attentive to her needs in that regard. The big kids are just pushing and shoving too much. There is dramatic size difference between her and the other four. Just got in from feeding the cows though and she was latched on and sucking hard. Hoping she's gaining some strength and will.

Just make sure Reagan doesn't want to jump up and lick you in the mouth. :yuck: :yuck:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:43 pm

TexasBred wrote:
kucala5 wrote:Thankfully Reagan is being very attentive to her needs in that regard. The big kids are just pushing and shoving too much. There is dramatic size difference between her and the other four. Just got in from feeding the cows though and she was latched on and sucking hard. Hoping she's gaining some strength and will.

Just make sure Reagan doesn't want to jump up and lick you in the mouth. :yuck: :yuck:

That would be a whole new meaning to "puppy breath"
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”