Farm dog/puppy questions

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Kell-inKY
Rancher
Rancher

Farm dog/puppy questions

Postby Kell-inKY » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:05 pm

Son has a birthday coming up, he wants a new puppy, we have little experience with dogs except for my other son's mutt who is lazy but a good dog. We have cattle and chickens, we had to get rid of some pyrenese pups due to them wiping out our chickens/ducks, don't want another large breed either. Narrowed it down to 3 choices.

We have a chance to get a Corgi, will this dog do ok by itself all day or is it high strung like a lot of working dogs?

He likes beagles, they seem pretty sedate, how do they do in the winter and being left alone?

Blue heeler (my choice), can this dog be socialized/trained to be accepting of visitors? Sometimes we have people come out to the farm when we are not there, our mutt does fine but I know Heelers are known for being protective. My wife absolutely hates them, and I absolutely love these dogs, go figure.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Farm dog/puppy questions

Postby dun » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:31 pm

I do love Corgi's. But like a lot of workign dogs, some of them need a job or to be kept penned when no one is around. Healers absolutley have to have a job. They will herd anything that moves and eventually a lot of them take to kililng stuff like chickens/ducks/geese/guineas. Not their fault, the get things moving by gripping (nipping/biting their legs). Once they draw blood they can be real serious killers.
Beagles are hounds, they are layed back when they arent; running rabbits, but some of them, particularly the field trial strains are hyper as a border collie.
Healers can be acclimated to having people around, but once they are their pretty useless at gaurding the place.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:27 am

All three of those are good breeds. I don't have any direct experience with Corgis though. Beagles are good all around dogs, but if left alone can tend to wander off hunting wherever their nose leads them. I know you didn't mention them in your three, but an Australian Shepherd might be a good fit. Depending on the reason she doesn't like Heelers, An Aussie might be a happy medium for both of you if she absolutely doesn't want a Heeler. They are good working dogs, but love family time too. Not all dogs are the same, but the ones we've had and been around are a little overall more people friendly to people outside the family than the Heelers we and our friends have had.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:00 am

This is a great product for farm dogs. If you have a problem with them getting livestock, this stops it 100%....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4_qQ1ePTdg
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Kell-inKY
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Kell-inKY » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:09 am

Finally found a beagle in time for his birthday, tiny, just 7 weeks old but is a rounder. Dad was big time rabbit hunting beagle, mama was lemon colored beagle. Just hope he sticks around when he gets older, he already has his nose down following scents and he's no bigger than a minute.

Was out of luck trying to get one at a shelter, they either wouldn't let us have one because we were going to let the dog live outside (???) or others had a deal where they sold all of their puppies to petsmart? strange, places are full up with pit mixes anyway.

Funny little puppy.
0 x

TCFRH
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby TCFRH » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:26 pm

Kell-inKY wrote:Was out of luck trying to get one at a shelter, they either wouldn't let us have one because we were going to let the dog live outside (???) or others had a deal where they sold all of their puppies to petsmart? strange, places are full up with pit mixes anyway.

Yep. Shelters around here are begging for people to adopt their dogs, but only if they're going to be indoor dogs with free access to a fenced yard, and no chains or tie outs. I'll continue to do business with the local farmer/breeders and Amish instead. I'd prefer a pup anyway so I know if it decides to kill chickens, I only have myself to blame for poor training.

Cute pup!
0 x
Beef and Poultry

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”