Blow flies on calves

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
lifeflower
Beginner
Beginner

Blow flies on calves

Postby lifeflower » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Ok I got a question here I have had some issues with dairy calves 2 day old dairy calves some of them nothing I do helps one thing I've noticed that is similar to the ones that have died on me is blow flies is the first sign of a problem and I am Not sure what it really means all I know is the outcome is the same they stop drinking milk and eventually die no matter antibiotics or anything else helps
0 x

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Blow flies on calves

Postby A.J. » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:30 am

Sorry for your troubles. I would try to contact a vet ASAP. It sounds like there may be some other things going on with them. Are they scouring of having respiratory issues?
0 x

lavacarancher
GURU
GURU

Postby lavacarancher » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:49 pm

Life, in my part of Texas blow flies were eliminated about 50 years ago. Very seldom see blow flies anymore. What I'm calling a blow fly lays its eggs in a wound on an animal and the eggs hatch into maggots. Used to be when you cut bull calves you always had to doctor the wound with "screw worm" dope to keep the flies off until the cut healed. Now days you don't have to do that because there are no blow flies. Maybe you have something else going on? As already suggested contact your vet. Look somewhere else for the problem.
0 x
If you think you're in charge, try bossing someone else's dog around.

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:56 am

There are other types of flys that lay eggs in wounds and on poopy butts. All it takes is about 8-12 hrs. for a bad maggot infestation. I had a problem with my chickens this summer. Just eating too many tomatoes gave them dirty butts. The maggots burrowed deep into their back ends, creating deep pockets and tunnels that I had to flush out daily and treat with Antibiotics. They recovered with treatment, but I was diligent.

I am not clear on what you are seeing in your calves.........maggot infestations?
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”