walk in cooler

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

walk in cooler

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:34 pm

I want to build one does anyone have any pictures of the ones they built ? Is it worth building one vs buying one ? I only want one thats a 4'x4' as the only thing that may get hung in it are a couple of deer or couple hogs. I look forward to any suggestions pics or input.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Re: walk in cooler

Postby HDRider » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:51 pm

$3K New - I bet a used one is half that
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Walk-in-St ... 2580888751

$2.5 K Salvage truck
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commercial-Ref ... 2670172701

How would you build one?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:06 pm

HDRider wrote:$3K New - I bet a used one is half that
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Walk-in-St ... 2580888751

$2.5 K Salvage truck
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commercial-Ref ... 2670172701

How would you build one?

I was thinking of just building one like i would a shed and frame it and put alot of the insulation in it was my thinking the thick foam sheets and regular insulation in between the studs
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:10 pm

What would you use to cool it?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 pm

HDRider wrote:What would you use to cool it?

A ac unit .. they have devices that control the units as if they were chiller fans
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Sky, I don't know if you remember Hook posted some photos of one he made with an AC unit.

Ken
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:57 pm

I know a guy that built one, and I’m pretty sure he YouTubed the whole thing. I’ll see if I can find it.....
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:07 pm

2 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Thanks you all
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Seen them built for a restaurant before. They make for a great place to sleep in the summer.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

hdrockn
Beginner
Beginner

Postby hdrockn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:22 am

We built one. Coolbot is the greatest. Found and extended post on an archery forum with lots of builds. Since there are no options close by for butchering our beef we did this instead. Part of the reason for raising a smaller breed so we can handle the carcass. So I let the beef hang for two weeks and then begin butchering. The coolbot keeps the temp just above freezing and the electric usage for the 3 weeks it runs doesn't show up much on my bill.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 am

hdrockn wrote:We built one. Coolbot is the greatest. Found and extended post on an archery forum with lots of builds. Since there are no options close by for butchering our beef we did this instead. Part of the reason for raising a smaller breed so we can handle the carcass. So I let the beef hang for two weeks and then begin butchering. The coolbot keeps the temp just above freezing and the electric usage for the 3 weeks it runs doesn't show up much on my bill.

Nice... How big is yours?
0 x

hdrockn
Beginner
Beginner

Postby hdrockn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:31 am

6x8.We used osb, 2x6 with batt insulation.....can't buy the thick foam here like we could in Idaho. Important to insulate the floor since you lose a lot of cold there. It sits in the corner of the barn. I'll get some pictures if you are interested.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:47 pm

hdrockn wrote:6x8.We used osb, 2x6 with batt insulation.....can't buy the thick foam here like we could in Idaho. Important to insulate the floor since you lose a lot of cold there. It sits in the corner of the barn. I'll get some pictures if you are interested.

Yes please
0 x

zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby zirlottkim » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:38 pm

https://www.frigidcoolers.com/ I ordered a commercial freezer from this company several years ago. They offer small walkin, 110v units with refrigeration pre-mounted. Instillation is fairly simple.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”