What are you eating today?

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: What are you eating today?

Postby greybeard » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:20 am

ez14. wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Water rat.

Muskrat? I ate that once

I believe Joegephus is talking about eatin beaver again.......He raises & breeds them so he'll always have a plentiful supply. One of his favorite hobbies..pets really but he eats the culls. Tried it myself but all I've ever been able to do is have high heads that r..u..n..n..o..f..t.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:01 am

Yep, beaver again. When people talk about sustainability think beaver because there seems to be no way to get rid of them. I believe if a nuclear bomb hit we'd still have cockroaches and beavers. If anyone wants a beaver starter kit I can hook you up. Twice as profitable as raising Emus. Greybeard can vouch for how easy they are to raise and care for.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 am

greybeard wrote:
ez14. wrote:

Muskrat? I ate that once

I believe Joegephus is talking about eatin beaver again.......He raises & breeds them so he'll always have a plentiful supply. One of his favorite hobbies..pets really but he eats the culls. Tried it myself but all I've ever been able to do is have high heads that r..u..n..n..o..f..t.
now that you mention it I do remember he eats beaver. Makes sausages and stuff
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 am

Yep, they're like them tater chips..nobody can have just one.....
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:37 pm

greybeard wrote:Yep, they're like them tater chips..nobody can have just one.....

First one I ever saw I thought was neat. Now they are everywhere and are causing some major problems. We had a county bounty on them at $20/tail but the money ran out. Trapping is becoming a pretty good business for the few who don't mind a little work since some are paying up to $75/beaver to get them off their land. Common price for trapping is $250 to breach the dam and set traps including three on site visits. First two beavers are included in the initial price then its $75 a tail.

They are a pain in the azz but the meat is good and the pelts are nice. Of course the prize is the tail since its the key component in making the ShytSlapper 2000.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:09 pm

I saw today, they have begun making a small mud/grass dam on the channel that keeps my pond at a manageable level. Didn't have any tools with me, so I just kicked a hole in it, but I'm sure they'll have it fixed by morning. It'll get a connibear tomorrow.
0 x

Covet Not!

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:55 pm

greybeard wrote:I saw today, they have begun making a small mud/grass dam on the channel that keeps my pond at a manageable level. Didn't have any tools with me, so I just kicked a hole in it, but I'm sure they'll have it fixed by morning. It'll get a connibear tomorrow.

They are fun aren't they?! ;-)

I'm in a pizzing match with a grown bull beaver. He's trap wise and keeps tripping the traps. He's chewed through three aircraft cable snares, broke a carabiner and carried off a leghold and the other day I caught him with another leg hold trap and a 220 conibear set as a foothold and the pulled free of both these traps and left them in a tangled mess with the cables nearly chewed in two. A 330 would do the trick but he's trap wise and avoids them like the plague. I've upped the game and have two drowning sets set up using #5 legholds but he hasn't been back yet. I hope all this rain gets him stirring around again because I want his hide.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:11 pm

looks good i see that brew sitting there with you... :D
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:11 pm

2 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Looks great!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:15 pm

frieghttrain wrote:Looks great!

Thanks I asked for rare steak but apparently if you get rare steak you get rare green beans too.. I am glad the potatoes weren't rare.
0 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:16 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
frieghttrain wrote:Looks great!

Thanks I asked for rare steak but apparently if you get rare steak you get rare green beans too.. I am glad the potatoes weren't rare.

:lol:
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
greybeard wrote:I saw today, they have begun making a small mud/grass dam on the channel that keeps my pond at a manageable level. Didn't have any tools with me, so I just kicked a hole in it, but I'm sure they'll have it fixed by morning. It'll get a connibear tomorrow.

They are fun aren't they?! ;-)

I'm in a pizzing match with a grown bull beaver. He's trap wise and keeps tripping the traps. He's chewed through three aircraft cable snares, broke a carabiner and carried off a leghold and the other day I caught him with another leg hold trap and a 220 conibear set as a foothold and the pulled free of both these traps and left them in a tangled mess with the cables nearly chewed in two. A 330 would do the trick but he's trap wise and avoids them like the plague. I've upped the game and have two drowning sets set up using #5 legholds but he hasn't been back yet. I hope all this rain gets him stirring around again because I want his hide.

Mine are pretty young I think. I found a little short narrow dam they had constructed and kicked a hole in it with my boot a few days ago and figured they'd rebuild it overnight like the other times but it was still running water yesterday. Today tho, when I went down with a shovel to demolish it, found it was plugged back up.
I dug it completely out. We'll see what happens the next few nights since we're supposed to have good weather for a couple days.

This is pretty recent and right next to that little dam. Sweetgum sapling. If they'd cut the small tallow trees that are all around that area too, I'd let them be, but they won't touch them.
I can't spray there because that water runs right into the river about 100 yards away.

0 x

Covet Not!

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 am

Yeah if we could just get them to eat what we wanted them to eat and dig where we wanted them to dig beavers would be an asset.

I concluded my nemesis beaver is not a beaver but a gator. Pictured are two drowning rigs and as you can see one is missing its snap link and its trap. Based on game cam video one of these caught a coon and it drowned then a few hours later something came and rippled the water and took the coon and the trap and broke the snap link which is supposed to hold 240 lbs. It stole my trap!

0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:57 am

A water graboid..
Dang. That's impressively depressing. Traps ain't cheap and rigs are time consuming. (It's why I gave up on snares altogether)

Or, You have, an aquatic assquatch!!
1 x

Covet Not!

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”