What to do with beef heart

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

What to do with beef heart

Postby j_20 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:47 am

Let me hear what you guys do with it. Heard of making a lunchmeat type spread out of it, that sounds good. What about pickling it? What recipes ya got?
0 x

fnfarms1
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: What to do with beef heart

Postby fnfarms1 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:50 am

Feed it to the dog. LOL. That's what I do with heart, liver, and tongue. Mom used to make liver and onions, wasn't to bad. But just can't do tongue or heart
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:50 am

0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:55 am

It's been years since I've eaten beef heart, but if I remember right my mother would slice it and turn it in batter and fry it, similar to chicken-fried steak. I can take it or leave it. Now liver, that I give to the dogs or use for fish bait. The only thing I know of that tastes worse than beef liver is chicken liver.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:08 am

It had been a while since I’d tried heart, so I kept one from one of the deer I shot this year. Last time I tried it I didn’t care for it, but I actually liked it this time. I sliced it about ¼”-3/8” thick, and seasoned it more than most other cuts, I think I used garlic powder, thyme, and rosemary before cooking, coated in flour, and fried on super high heat. A little crisp on the outside and med rare inside was perfect for me. When I took off the skillet I put on some salt and pepper.
Now, it wasn’t my favorite piece of meat, but I’ll keep the hearts from now on. And this was venison, so I’m sure beef would taste better, at least to me.
Liver on the other hand, just isn’t for me. I can eat it, but only in small quantities. Chicken liver is one of the most putrid things I‘ve ever tried. It’s baffling to me that some people actually like
0 x

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby j_20 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:19 am

my taste must be a little different haha i love beef, pork, and chicken liver. now beef tongue on the other hand im no fan of the dog gets that
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:34 am

j_20 wrote:my taste must be a little different haha i love beef, pork, and chicken liver. now beef tongue on the other hand im no fan of the dog gets that

You're right about tastes being different. I've occasionally gotten surprised by a bite of chicken liver in chicken and dumplings and almost had to leave the table to be sick. Beef tongue, on the other hand, is good stuff. My mother would boil it. Then we'd peel the skin off and slice it. Makes the best sandwich you ever ate.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby j_20 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:43 am

thats the same way we cook it when we have it but i have to cover it in gravy to tolerate it. never tried it on a sandwich though maybe i'll give it a shot
0 x

fenceman
GURU
GURU

Postby fenceman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:19 am

j_20 wrote:my taste must be a little different haha i love beef, pork, and chicken liver. now beef tongue on the other hand im no fan of the dog gets that

Nothing better than liver and onions. And if you like roast beef, you gotta like tongue
0 x
You can all go to he//.
I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby j_20 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:44 am

I do love liver and onions, cook it a few times a year. Only have it when we butcher something though, I refuse to store buy liver.I soak it in milk for a while then dust it in flour and slap ya momma and fry it up. Doesnt get much better than that.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:46 am

fenceman wrote:

Nothing better than liver and onions. And if you like roast beef, you gotta like tongue

I like it too, with some rich dark gravy.. Mmmm

I like all kinds of stuff. Used to eat pork brains in my scrambled eggs when I was a kid.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby j_20 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:41 pm

I dont know about the brains never tried em. I know a few people who claim to like em though.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:15 pm

j_20 wrote:I dont know about the brains never tried em. I know a few people who claim to like em though.

Pork brains with scrambled eggs was always our standard breakfast on the morning after butchering hogs. They were okay, but it's not something I miss or crave. Kind of like blood sausage.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:57 pm

Rafter S wrote:
j_20 wrote:I dont know about the brains never tried em. I know a few people who claim to like em though.

Pork brains with scrambled eggs was always our standard breakfast on the morning after butchering hogs. They were okay, but it's not something I miss or crave. Kind of like blood sausage.

I'd gladly give you my share. :mrgreen:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:26 pm

I only eat the outside of a cow.
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”