What to do with beef heart

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: What to do with beef heart

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:07 am

Kathie, all are made using hearts or some percentage thereof. When its ground to mince it really doesn't matter where the protein comes from just the percentage of fat and how you choose to restructure it. Like hamburger, its just ground beef what you do with it is up to you.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:31 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Kathie, all are made using hearts or some percentage thereof. When its ground to mince it really doesn't matter where the protein comes from just the percentage of fat and how you choose to restructure it. Like hamburger, its just ground beef what you do with it is up to you.

Looks wonderful. I'm good for one or two good feeds of beef heart a year -- like it sliced about 3/4" thick, dredged in flour, season it w/ salt and pepper, and bacon fat is the best thing to fry it in, to just over medium. Fried onions, of course. Liver doesn't do much for me -- best liver is in hunting camp vs. beef.
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:57 pm

Jogeephus wrote:By itself, I don't much care for it but transformed into Cervelat is heaven. Cervelat is what we are giving people for Christmas this year.

:shock: :shock: :shock: , I'm in!...... I don't care what part of any animal it came from! Look delicious Jo!
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:42 pm

I don't knowingly eat guts, viscera or entrails.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:17 pm

greybeard wrote:I don't knowingly eat guts, viscera or entrails.

So you don't eat link sausage?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:59 am

GB that don't leave much "comfort" food for you but sardines. Tell the truth. You will pop open a can of spam every once in a while. :nod:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

rla442
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rla442 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:22 am

Beef and deer heart I love and consider some of the best and tender cuts off the animal. I'll cut and trim them then bake with some basic seasoning. When I sell my beef and the customers don't want the hearts, I'll take them and cut them into small cubes, pack them in mason jars with garlic, onion and a pinch of salt then pressure can them. Its easier to deal with them in mason jar instead of having these large hearts accumulate in the freezer. Then when you want to make a quick meal or beef gravy, dump the jar of heart into the pot and have at it. Pressure canning it makes it easy and quick to fix or mix into anything. You also don't have to explain to the kids or the visitors what it is they are eating because they don't see you pull a coconut sized heart out of the oven. Cubed and pressure canned and most will never know its heart they are eating.
0 x

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby j_20 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:54 am

I have 3 in the freezer right now I'm going to slice season and grill one this weekend then hope to try Jo's suggestions on the other 2 in the near future.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:12 pm

TexasBred wrote:

GB that don't leave much "comfort" food for you but sardines. Tell the truth. You will pop open a can of spam every once in a while. :nod:

Depends if the dogs are out of dog food and I still have any spam left from the last hurricane emergency ration or not. I'll open them a can if we run out of dog food.
(note I said 'knowingly")
I used to like it fried, long ago, but they seemed to have changed the recipe nowadays and I can't stand it. They probably put (or removed) pork rectums--inverted from the mix.....
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Had kaszanka the other day. Pretty good stuff. Not beef heart but pork heart and a few other organs. Oh, and a quart or so of blood. I'm sure a beef heart would have worked just as well.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:00 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Had kaszanka the other day. Pretty good stuff. Not beef heart but pork heart and a few other organs. Oh, and a quart or so of blood. I'm sure a beef heart would have worked just as well.

No.

No

No".........absolutely not............ :2cents:
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:27 am

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Didn't really care for that one myself.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:24 am

Jogeephus wrote::lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Didn't really care for that one myself.

Why?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:45 am

Jogeephus wrote:Had kaszanka the other day. Pretty good stuff. Not beef heart but pork heart and a few other organs. Oh, and a quart or so of blood. I'm sure a beef heart would have worked just as well.

Sounds like the Blood Sausage we made when I was a boy. I can't remember everything that went into it, but I believe it was the meat from the hog's head, along with the kidneys and heart, and of course enough blood to give it color. It was cooked three times by the time it was served. When we butchered the hogs they would first cook the meat, then grind it, mix it with seasoning and the blood, stuff it in the large casings, and then boil it. Then when you got ready to eat it they would slice it and fry it. Because of the blood it would turn coal black when fried. I could eat it okay, but don't miss it.

My folks were all of German ancestry. I assume the kaszanka is from some region of eastern Europe, or do you know?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:51 am

HDRider wrote:
Jogeephus wrote::lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Didn't really care for that one myself.

Why?

I don't care for groats because as a child I had a bait of it. Sausage itself is not bad tasting at all its just the groats I don't care for.

Rafter S wrote:I assume the kaszanka is from some region of eastern Europe, or do you know?

Its Polish. The German version would be Wurstebrei or Grützwurst which are both essentially the same. All are made with the offal ground and mixed with groats mixed with blood then stuffed in the hog middles and cooked like you say. While I may not care that much for this I can't help but admire their ingenuity and frugality because one pig will produce enough of this to feed over 20 people.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”