Saddle Bread

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Saddle Bread

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Saddle Bread

Mix together everything you need for making white bread and to 14 ounces of the dry mix add 1/2 cup crispy cooked bacon and 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Add liquids and fold twenty times then form in ball and cover and let rest for about an hour in a warm place. It will rise but not double. Once its risen place on greased cookie sheet and form into a loaf being careful not to press on the top of the loaf. If you wish, you can slice the top of the loaf with a sharp knife for creases.

Place in 400F oven - or dutch oven if camping for 30-40 minutes till browned.

End result is a firm bread with the flavor of a ham/bacon & cheese sandwich. Its firm and almost has a meaty texture. Should keep in your pack or saddlebag safely till consumed. Very good for pork and been sopping or just eaten by itself. Its very nutrient dense and filling.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

bball
GURU
GURU

Re: Saddle Bread

Postby bball » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:31 pm

Jo, have you ever tried putting some jalapeños in there? Looks darn tasty. Thanks for posting the recipe.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:46 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Saddle Bread

Mix together everything you need for making white bread and to 14 ounces of the dry mix add 1/2 cup crispy cooked bacon and 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Add liquids and fold twenty times then form in ball and cover and let rest for about an hour in a warm place. It will rise but not double. Once its risen place on greased cookie sheet and form into a loaf being careful not to press on the top of the loaf. If you wish, you can slice the top of the loaf with a sharp knife for creases.

End result is a firm bread with the flavor of a ham/bacon & cheese sandwich. Its firm and almost has a meaty texture. Should keep in your pack or saddlebag safely till consumed. Very good for pork and been sopping or just eaten by itself. Its very nutrient dense and filling.

Jo please do biscuits! :D
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

inyati13
GURU
GURU

Postby inyati13 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:50 pm

Jo, are you married?
0 x
A man's home is his Castle, A man's farm is his Kingdom. Prince Inyati.
Prince of Bright Raven Farm

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:54 pm

Sound awfully good. Gotta get my wife to try this.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:59 pm

Thanks Jo you know im not a good bread maker but will try :lol:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks once again Jo! I'll give this a try in a day or two.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:29 pm

inyati13 wrote:Jo, are you married?

Inyati and jo meet up and get married off of cattle today! :heart: I wonder if anyone has ever gotten hitched or started dating off our forum! :lol2:
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:34 pm

NECowboy wrote:

Inyati and jo meet up and get married off of cattle today! :heart: I wonder if anyone has ever gotten hitched or started dating off our forum! :lol2:

I don't think they are married but CB and TB qualify as quarreling like and old married couple
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:39 pm

M-5 wrote:
NECowboy wrote:

I don't think they are married but CB and TB qualify as quarreling like and old married couple

Who that?
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:22 pm

NECowboy wrote:Jo please do biscuits! :D

Biscuits are easy. If you want them to be big and fluffy you need to use plenty of lard or butter.

Here is a recipe I like for Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits - Cat head Style.

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen plus more for greasing baking sheet
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cold buttermilk

DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Generously grease bottom of a baking sheet with butter.
Use a box grater to grate cold butter into a small cold bowl Place bowl in freezer when you are done. Key is keeping butter cold.

In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until well combined. Add grated butter and, using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until it's the size of small peas. Don't use your hands because this will warm the butter! Key is keeping it cold.

Pour in cold buttermilk and stir mixture with a wooden spoon just until a dough forms (do not overmix).
Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; treating it as delicate as a newborn baby, very gently pat into a rough ball adding a little flour if its too sticky. Use a sharp knife or bench scraper to cut dough in half. Place one half on top of other half, and very gently press halves together, shaping into a rough ball again. Repeat 3 times. (this makes additional airy pockets in the biscuits)

Gently shape dough into a rough rectangle about 1-inch thick. I then use a quart Mason jar ring to cut the biscuits and transfer to the buttered baking sheet. I put the biscuits where they bump up against one another and I think this gives a higher rise but some space an inch apart.

Place baking sheet in freezer 10 minutes to re-chill dough. You gotta keep the butter firm till its heated in oven.

Transfer baking sheet directly from freezer to oven and bake biscuits 10 to 12 minutes until golden and fluffy. I like to brush melted butter on the tops just before they are finished.

If you make these and like them but want them to be crazy flaky and super soft substitute lard for the butter. The lard has to be nearly frozen too and treat it the same way. Lard biscuits are old school and frowned on today but they are simply the best.

Now as you are waiting for this to cook toss some patty sausage in the skillet and save the grease and add some of flour and salt and pepper to make your gravy. Substitute black coffee for water when you are making your gravy for some extra flavor and you'll have a meal fit for a king.

Let me know what you think.

You can add shredded cheese to this as well but they won't be as fluffy but will be good all the same. About a cup of cheese should be plenty.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:37 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
NECowboy wrote:Jo please do biscuits! :D

Biscuits are easy. If you want them to be big and fluffy you need to use plenty of lard or butter.

Here is a recipe I like for Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits - Cat head Style.

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen plus more for greasing baking sheet
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cold buttermilk

DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Generously grease bottom of a baking sheet with butter.
Use a box grater to grate cold butter into a small cold bowl Place bowl in freezer when you are done. Key is keeping butter cold.

In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until well combined. Add grated butter and, using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until it's the size of small peas. Don't use your hands because this will warm the butter! Key is keeping it cold.

Pour in cold buttermilk and stir mixture with a wooden spoon just until a dough forms (do not overmix).
Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; treating it as delicate as a newborn baby, very gently pat into a rough ball adding a little flour if its too sticky. Use a sharp knife or bench scraper to cut dough in half. Place one half on top of other half, and very gently press halves together, shaping into a rough ball again. Repeat 3 times. (this makes additional airy pockets in the biscuits)

Gently shape dough into a rough rectangle about 1-inch thick. I then use a quart Mason jar ring to cut the biscuits and transfer to the buttered baking sheet. I put the biscuits where they bump up against one another and I think this gives a higher rise but some space an inch apart.

Place baking sheet in freezer 10 minutes to re-chill dough. You gotta keep the butter firm till its heated in oven.

Transfer baking sheet directly from freezer to oven and bake biscuits 10 to 12 minutes until golden and fluffy. I like to brush melted butter on the tops just before they are finished.

If you make these and like them but want them to be crazy flaky and super soft substitute lard for the butter. The lard has to be nearly frozen too and treat it the same way. Lard biscuits are old school and frowned on today but they are simply the best.

Now as you are waiting for this to cook toss some patty sausage in the skillet and save the grease and add some of flour and salt and pepper to make your gravy. Substitute black coffee for water when you are making your gravy for some extra flavor and you'll have a meal fit for a king.

Let me know what you think.

You can add shredded cheese to this as well but they won't be as fluffy but will be good all the same. About a cup of cheese should be plenty.

Thanks for the super detailed instructions and tips! What is cat head style? Do you have a preference for a particular brand biscuit flour?
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:53 pm

Cat head biscuits are just named that because they are the size of a cat's head. One biscuit should do you. My grandmother used to make lard biscuits about the size of a silver dollar. These were really good with a scoop of jelly but for adding meats and eggs I prefer the bigger biscuit.

I don't have a favorite flour. I use White Lily, Gold Medal and Martha White. I think any will do because I think its more of how you treat the flour and dough more than anything else. I used to make a lot of biscuits for the Scouts in a dutch oven then one day I tried to make some in the house and just couldn't make them worth a flip. Harder I tried the harder the biscuits got. Then I figured out the temperature problem and how I was trying too hard hence the suggestion about treating it like a baby and the cooling.

BTW - that recipe will make a lot of biscuits and they really are best served fresh so rather than cooking the whole batch you can freeze uncooked biscuits to cook later and they will be just as good when they come out the oven.
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:00 pm

So what's all the stuff to mix for white bread? What's the advantage of bread machine vs oven?
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:45 am

Kingfisher, I don't know anything about bread machines but I think they would just limit your options. My daughter is the bread maker in the family and she can make some really wonderful breads so there are a lot of options to choose from but I just used a basic rustic bread whose base just consist of yeast, salt and all purpose flour. (1 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast, 1 tablespoon salt, 6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour)
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”