Saddle Bread

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Saddle Bread

Postby TexasBred » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:03 am

NECowboy wrote:
inyati13 wrote:Jo, are you married?

Inyati and jo meet up and get married off of cattle today! :heart: I wonder if anyone has ever gotten hitched or started dating off our forum! :lol2:

SirLoin and Medicine Woman did I think.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:04 am

M-5 wrote:
NECowboy wrote:
inyati13 wrote:Jo, are you married?

Inyati and jo meet up and get married off of cattle today! :heart: I wonder if anyone has ever gotten hitched or started dating off our forum! :lol2:

I don't think they are married but CB and TB qualify as quarreling like and old married couple

That wern't no quarrel. That was a civilized discussion between a redneck piece of white trash and a wet back.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:50 pm

Looks good Jo! will definitely try one.

Kingfisher, the secret to using a bread machine is to not bake in it.
Let the machine do the kneading and the 1st rise, but then pull the dough out of the machine for the punch down and second rise. Baked in the machine seldom produces a satisfactory loaf of bread.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:13 pm

CottageFarm wrote:Looks good Jo! will definitely try one.

Kingfisher, the secret to using a bread machine is to not bake in it.
Let the machine do the kneading and the 1st rise, but then pull the dough out of the machine for the punch down and second rise. Baked in the machine seldom produces a satisfactory loaf of bread.

Kinda... It ain't Jo quality, but it is better than store bought. We use ours a lot and we seldom buy bread at the store.

Like I said tho, it ain't Jo good.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:58 pm

True HDR, not exactly the same as hand kneaded, but minor recipe adjustments can help alot. Adding wheat gluten to the recipe will get you extremely close to a hand kneaded loaf
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Would this be good to make as a first time bread maker? I mean I can do biscuits pretty good but never tried loaf bread. Also, are you sure the recipe is right where it says "1/2 cup bacon"? Seems like half a cup of bacon is just not enough bacon.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:09 am

Craig Miller wrote:Would this be good to make as a first time bread maker? I mean I can do biscuits pretty good but never tried loaf bread. Also, are you sure the recipe is right where it says "1/2 cup bacon"? Seems like half a cup of bacon is just not enough bacon.

I suck at making bread so yes it would be easy for a first time bread maker because if I can do it I'm sure you can. Besides, how can you screw up something with bacon and cheese? As for the amount of bacon, that is just what I used. Actually, I don't think there is such a thing as too much bacon.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Commercialfarmer
GURU
GURU

Postby Commercialfarmer » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:44 am

Jo, where did you learn to cook? I'm sure you've created a lot of stuff by trial and taste, but you have so many good ideas, just curious how you got started.

Wish I would of started paying attention sooner. I'd give a weeks wages to be able to reproduce grandma's Sunday fried chicken.
0 x
X

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:16 am

CottageFarm wrote:True HDR, not exactly the same as hand kneaded, but minor recipe adjustments can help alot. Adding wheat gluten to the recipe will get you extremely close to a hand kneaded loaf

I think Jo is going gluten free nowadays.......
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:16 pm

Commercialfarmer wrote:Jo, where did you learn to cook? I'm sure you've created a lot of stuff by trial and taste, but you have so many good ideas, just curious how you got started.

Started with the scouts then working my way through college I learned restaurants were an easy place to find employment if you were willing to work weird hours and didn't mind working through the holidays. Then being a broke bachelor cinched it. Now its just more of a matter of wanting to be totally self sufficient.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:36 pm

greybeard wrote:
CottageFarm wrote:True HDR, not exactly the same as hand kneaded, but minor recipe adjustments can help alot. Adding wheat gluten to the recipe will get you extremely close to a hand kneaded loaf

I think Jo is going gluten free nowadays.......

Yep, I've found gluten free bread topped yolk-less mayonnaise is more spiritual.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:38 pm

Off topic, but I can't look at the title of this thread and not think it's supposed to be in the horse section.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Commercialfarmer
GURU
GURU

Postby Commercialfarmer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:26 am

Jogeephus wrote:
Commercialfarmer wrote:Jo, where did you learn to cook? I'm sure you've created a lot of stuff by trial and taste, but you have so many good ideas, just curious how you got started.

Started with the scouts then working my way through college I learned restaurants were an easy place to find employment if you were willing to work weird hours and didn't mind working through the holidays. Then being a broke bachelor cinched it. Now its just more of a matter of wanting to be totally self sufficient.

Funny, only job i remember applying for and not getting an offer to work was at a couple restaurants in college.

Self sufficency is probably illegal and dangerous. If untaxed liquor can make you go blind, what do you think a whole pantry full of untaxed stuff could do?
0 x
X

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:14 am

Commercialfarmer wrote:Self sufficency is probably illegal and dangerous. If untaxed liquor can make you go blind, what do you think a whole pantry full of untaxed stuff could do?

Probably kill you if its not organic and gluten free! :lol2:

It amazes me to watch what people buy in the stores these days. Boxed, prepared processed foods which are all overpriced. Many buying this crap are poor and it just doesn't make sense to me. I grow a big garden and once I've picked what I want I give it away but very few will come pick it even though its free. It baffles me because when I was living hand to mouth I lived out of my garden and ate rabbit and chicken and I ate very well for next to nothing. Now that I have the means to buy about anything I want we still eat for next to nothing and to think I'm eating something good that the taxman didn't get a cut off makes it all the better and with my savings I can more easily justify life's necessities like guns and ammo and other cool stuff.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”