cooking pork chops

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Margonme
GURU
GURU

Re: cooking pork chops

Postby Margonme » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:07 am

callmefence wrote:
ez14 wrote:
Margonme wrote:
I am obviously no chili expert. Does anyone put beans in chili?

im with jmj i've never had chili without beans (i thought it had to have beans to be chili)

me and one of my brothers ate a bunch of raw pork once by accident (i know how do you eat raw pork and not know? we were hungry i guess!) he got sick (nothing serious) but i was completely fine

Rafters right . in fact I think it's against the law to call it chili once you put beans in it . you can call it chili with beans but not just chili. Not a serious crime just a ticket I think... ;-)

Here on the Bright Raven Simmental Farm the Prince has issued a standing Pardon for putting beans in your chili.

:banana:

That's a banana pepper!
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:38 am

Beans on the side--if at all--pintos. And no, there ain't no such thing as chili beans--they're like unicorns, flyin cars and honest politicians. A few Springs ago, I actually heard a young guy with a furrin accent come in and ask the girl at the feed store for some chili beans to plant. I think maybe he was from Neptune or Pluto. :bang: :bang: I grabbed my stuff off the counter and left before the laughter started. Moron.

We buy boneless whole loins most of the time, chill it in the freezer till almost frozen then slice it into pork steaks. Not near as flavorful as some of the usual chops, but I'm not supposed to eat much fat.
Count me in that bunch that says pork and poultry has to be cooked thru well, but not dried out and burned. My wife is still of the old belief that apples or applesauce should be served with any pork. I can't stand to see or taste any blood in fried chicken.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:40 am

callmefence wrote:
ez14 wrote:
Margonme wrote:
I am obviously no chili expert. Does anyone put beans in chili?

im with jmj i've never had chili without beans (i thought it had to have beans to be chili)

me and one of my brothers ate a bunch of raw pork once by accident (i know how do you eat raw pork and not know? we were hungry i guess!) he got sick (nothing serious) but i was completely fine

Rafters right . in fact I think it's against the law to call it chili once you put beans in it . you can call it chili with beans but not just chili. Not a serious crime just a ticket I think... ;-)

No, it's a serious offense.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Margonme
GURU
GURU

Postby Margonme » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:39 pm

greybeard wrote:Beans on the side--if at all--pintos. And no, there ain't no such thing as chili beans--they're like unicorns, flyin cars and honest politicians.

GB, I surrender on the practice of putting beans in chili. If callmefence says it is not the right thing to do, well, that resolves that!

Lots of folks in this part of the world call kidney beans - chili beans. Including my dear departed MA.

I place into evidence a can of Bush Chili Beans provided by the traveling Baptist Preacher and Bush Bean Salesman, our own Mr. Bigfoot.

0 x
Long Live the Prince.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Margonme wrote:
callmefence wrote:
ez14 wrote:im with jmj i've never had chili without beans (i thought it had to have beans to be chili)

Here on the Bright Raven Simmental Farm the Prince has issued a standing Pardon for putting beans in your chili.

:banana:

That's a banana pepper!

You can't pardon yourself. I don't think politicians can even do that.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:17 pm

I think no beans in chili must be a Texas thing!
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

ranchersswiss
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ranchersswiss » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:13 am

I also cook my pork well. I love to try different recipes for pork chops. I usually get recipes in this site. http://allrecipes.com/recipes/674/main- ... ork-chops/
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:41 am

M-5 wrote:
HDRider wrote:
M-5 wrote:Since the steak thread keeps me hungry every day. My second favorite is a pork. I like pretty much Like any cut of chop but my favorite is a slice butt grilled to med rare.

I like pork too. Butt is hard to beat.

I always heard you were supposed fully cook pork.

urban legend -- how did folks eat meat before fire .

Hmmm....and life expectancy was what? 35 years or so?

It's not a large window to get a chop done and remain juicy or dry it out because it's over cooked. You can do it. Just as a steak, a chop benifits from a 5 minute rest before cutting. Pull it off the fire just before its done and let it coast into perfection...... :D

Like Greybeard, I usually buy the loin and cut my own too. Vacuume seal and freeze.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:32 pm

Margonme wrote:
I place into evidence a can of Bush Chili Beans provided by the traveling Baptist Preacher and Bush Bean Salesman, our own Mr. Bigfoot.

Kidney beans by any other name are still kidney beans.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby City Guy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:24 am

Wow you guys are good cooks. When I owned my restaurant we served a lot of pork and were one of the first two restaurants to receive the Illinois Pork Producers Assoc. "Award of Excellence". Our default internal temp was 145 degrees unless customer wanted something different.
Jogeephus got it exactly correct. Pigs (or any other animal for that matter) can only get the worm from eating other infected animals, so a strict vegetarian diet on concrete or pasture is the answer. At home we like about 140 degrees internal temp
0 x
Play the music, not the notes; read the story, not the words.

MaryAnnJeply
Beginner
Beginner

cooking pork chops

Postby MaryAnnJeply » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:02 am

In our camp, the simpler food is to prepare, the better. We like to spend time visiting rather than cooking. One of our favorite fireside meals is grilled pork chops. We buy a full pork loin when its on sale much cheaper than pork chops, slice it into boneless chops between 3/4-1 thick and separate them into quart ziplocs with two or three nice, thick chops in each bag. I add half a bottle of 30 minute marinade to each bag. Pick one you like. I find the garlic balsamic works really well with pork. The vinegar int he marinade makes the pork very tender and the garlic...well, its garlic You cant go wrong with garlic Seal them up and freeze the works.

When we pack for camping, the frozen pork chops go in the top of the cooler. Take them out of the cooler late morning and let them thaw. By the time they thaw, the marinade will have done its thing. I grill them for 8-12 minutes depending on the fire, and put em on a plate

The best part is that theres really no cleanup. Dispose of the ziploc bag and brush off the grill.
0 x

warped04
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby warped04 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:59 pm

HDRider wrote:I always heard you were supposed fully cook pork.

Fully cooking pork was because of Trichinosis, which at one point in time was the way they "thought" to prevent it. But they were wrong, and Trichinosis has been pretty much eliminated. On any menu I write, pork is default served "mid rare" according to the health dept. But it's one more battle I have with the health dept. as I feel their temps for pork are antiquated and based off beef steak temps instead of treating it like it's own animal. And that's because of ground pork.

And I will on occasion eat bacon raw because it's been cured, but it's a bad habit I picked up in culinary school.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:34 pm

warped04 wrote:
HDRider wrote:I always heard you were supposed fully cook pork.

Fully cooking pork was because of Trichinosis, which at one point in time was the way they "thought" to prevent it. But they were wrong, and Trichinosis has been pretty much eliminated. On any menu I write, pork is default served "mid rare" according to the health dept. But it's one more battle I have with the health dept. as I feel their temps for pork are antiquated and based off beef steak temps instead of treating it like it's own animal. And that's because of ground pork.

And I will on occasion eat bacon raw because it's been cured, but it's a bad habit I picked up in culinary school.

You sound like me Warped. :nod:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

warped04
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby warped04 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:39 am

Jogeephus wrote:You sound like me Warped. :nod:

Fighting with the health dept or bad habits from culinary school? :lol:
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:58 pm

warped04 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:You sound like me Warped. :nod:

Fighting with the health dept or bad habits from culinary school? :lol:

Little of both I guess but I'm regulated by the USDA rather than health department. Same tree just a different monkey. :lol2:

I won't mention what I cook my chicken to. ;-)
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”