Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
User avatar
NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 10:18 pm
Location: Central Nebraska

Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby NECowboy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Alright so looking for some quick meals that are filling and good, whether it is slow cooker than set and forget about it, or come home and make it up in 30 minutes.

Usually don't have the time or interest to spend much more time than that cooking so give me what you got. Dainty salads, sandwiches, or tortellini soup are probably not going to be of interest. :lol: Wife and I eat too much fried foods - they are easy, satisfying, and cheap but not good for the body. :lol:
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

User avatar
Margonme
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Princedom

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby Margonme » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:37 pm

Hard to beat the incredible eatible egg. Fried or boiled. A very nice meal.

Boiled egg is healthy but fried in olive oil is too.
Last edited by Margonme on Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4957
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:38 pm

Tuna fish Sammy
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

User avatar
Margonme
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Princedom

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby Margonme » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:40 pm

I am always surprised by how much energy I get out of an avocado. Cut it in two. Remove the seed and spoon out the meat.
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4957
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:41 pm

Home made pizza.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28061
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby TexasBred » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:49 pm

NECowboy wrote:Alright so looking for some quick meals that are filling and good, whether it is slow cooker than set and forget about it, or come home and make it up in 30 minutes.

Usually don't have the time or interest to spend much more time than that cooking so give me what you got. Dainty salads, sandwiches, or tortellini soup are probably not going to be of interest. :lol: Wife and I eat too much fried foods - they are easy, satisfying, and cheap but not good for the body. :lol:

My standby is Marie Callender chicken pot pies. Sometimes a fried egg sandwich. And don't forget fried baloney on Sundays. :lol:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3924
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:50 pm

Just so you know, I hate beef roasts, or any roast, for the most part. That being said, I have found the magic recipe that allows me a to consume beef roasts in large quantities.

Slow cooker recipe for 4-5 lb roast.

Rub roast with 1-2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper, and 2 cloves minced garlic. Put into crock pot.

Mix 1/4 cup soy sauce, 3 tablespoon balsalmic vinegar, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and 2 teaspoon ground mustard. Pour over roast. Cover on low heat for 6 hours or until tender - it will fall into pieces.

I can almost polish off an entire roast myself when it is cooked this way with a solid helping of horseradish on the side. Sooooo good.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

User avatar
NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 10:18 pm
Location: Central Nebraska

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby NECowboy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:58 pm

TexasBred wrote:
NECowboy wrote:Alright so looking for some quick meals that are filling and good, whether it is slow cooker than set and forget about it, or come home and make it up in 30 minutes.

Usually don't have the time or interest to spend much more time than that cooking so give me what you got. Dainty salads, sandwiches, or tortellini soup are probably not going to be of interest. :lol: Wife and I eat too much fried foods - they are easy, satisfying, and cheap but not good for the body. :lol:

My standby is Marie Callender chicken pot pies. Sometimes a fried egg sandwich. And don't forget fried baloney on Sundays. :lol:


Oh man Marie Callender's chicken pot pies are awesome, love the beef ones too! Also like fried pork chop, ribs, Salisbury steak, just about anything Marie fixes but that doesn't count only the fried egg sandwich or fried baloney! :lol:
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

User avatar
NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 10:18 pm
Location: Central Nebraska

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby NECowboy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Aaron wrote:Just so you know, I hate beef roasts, or any roast, for the most part. That being said, I have found the magic recipe that allows me a to consume beef roasts in large quantities.

Slow cooker recipe for 4-5 lb roast.

Rub roast with 1-2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper, and 2 cloves minced garlic. Put into crock pot.

Mix 1/4 cup soy sauce, 3 tablespoon balsalmic vinegar, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and 2 teaspoon ground mustard. Pour over roast. Cover on low heat for 6 hours or until tender - it will fall into pieces.

I can almost polish off an entire roast myself when it is cooked this way with a solid helping of horseradish on the side. Sooooo good.


What are you crazy a rancher and don't like beef roasts? Tender is the key to a roast. I've added soy sauce but not balsamic, Worcestershire, or ground mustard will have to try that.
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3087
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:56 pm

Kangaroo tail, potatoes, onion and seasoning in the slow cooker first thing in the morning, ready for dinner. Just the thing for a winter evening meal.

If your a bit short on kangaroo tails let us know and we will set up an export market.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3924
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby Aaron » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:56 pm

NECowboy wrote:
Aaron wrote:Just so you know, I hate beef roasts, or any roast, for the most part. That being said, I have found the magic recipe that allows me a to consume beef roasts in large quantities.

Slow cooker recipe for 4-5 lb roast.

Rub roast with 1-2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper, and 2 cloves minced garlic. Put into crock pot.

Mix 1/4 cup soy sauce, 3 tablespoon balsalmic vinegar, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and 2 teaspoon ground mustard. Pour over roast. Cover on low heat for 6 hours or until tender - it will fall into pieces.

I can almost polish off an entire roast myself when it is cooked this way with a solid helping of horseradish on the side. Sooooo good.


What are you crazy a rancher and don't like beef roasts? Tender is the key to a roast. I've added soy sauce but not balsamic, Worcestershire, or ground mustard will have to try that.


Almost every roast I ever ate until I found this recipe was far too dry. Dry meat to me is like eating leather, hence why I dislike poultry in general, gets too dry - greasy dark meat is the only thing I might eat.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14184
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby greybeard » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:39 pm

Key to keeping a roast (roast by definition means roasting) is to sear it first--keeps the juices in. I usually use a chuck roast. I just pat it dry with paper towels, rub your favorite brisket rub (or equivilent) all over it, dust it good with flour, patting it on, then sear it a few minutes all sides in a big skillet with about 2 tablespoons of oil. Don't matter if it gets a little 'over' brown. while it's searing, cut up your onions, potatoes, carrots or whatever in pretty big chunks. enough to fill in the empty places in the same big skillet. Lots of times I include a bell pepper cut in big chunks. Remove skillet from heat when browned to suit ya, place the vegs all around the roast, sprinkle more flour right on the top of the roast, shake salt/pepper or whatever on the vegs, and cover the top of the roast with vegs if it's a taller skillet or Dutch oven type. Slowly add about 2 cups of water--depending on the size of the skillet. Don't over fill the skillet with water--water doesn't need to cover the roast--don't pour the water in such that it rinses the seasonings off the vegetables. Put a lid on the skillet and place it in a 375 deg oven for about 1 hr-maybe 1.5 hours if it's a big roast. When it comes out, it'll be almost falling apart, in it's own gravy from the flour water mixture and the potatoes will have a nice lite brown glaze on them, cooked to perfection.
Sounds kinda time consuming, but you're doing the vegetables while the searing is happening--I can have one in the oven in 15-20 minutes tops. With a 3" tall X 14 diameter round skillet, I use a standard collander of prepared vegetables--works out perfect. I usually don't peel the carrots, but do wash them good.

(My wife 'can' cook this but is lazy about it--does them without the flour or searing--always comes out dry and often tougher.)

We usually have some leftover, and we make a veg/beef soup with it the next day in a slow cooker, adding canned stewed tomato, more taters, carrots, onions and whatever we have, and enough water to make the soup. nyum nyum
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 10:18 pm
Location: Central Nebraska

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby NECowboy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:48 am

greybeard wrote:Key to keeping a roast (roast by definition means roasting) is to sear it first--keeps the juices in. I usually use a chuck roast. I just pat it dry with paper towels, rub your favorite brisket rub (or equivilent) all over it, dust it good with flour, patting it on, then sear it a few minutes all sides in a big skillet with about 2 tablespoons of oil. Don't matter if it gets a little 'over' brown. while it's searing, cut up your onions, potatoes, carrots or whatever in pretty big chunks. enough to fill in the empty places in the same big skillet. Lots of times I include a bell pepper cut in big chunks. Remove skillet from heat when browned to suit ya, place the vegs all around the roast, sprinkle more flour right on the top of the roast, shake salt/pepper or whatever on the vegs, and cover the top of the roast with vegs if it's a taller skillet or Dutch oven type. Slowly add about 2 cups of water--depending on the size of the skillet. Don't over fill the skillet with water--water doesn't need to cover the roast--don't pour the water in such that it rinses the seasonings off the vegetables. Put a lid on the skillet and place it in a 375 deg oven for about 1 hr-maybe 1.5 hours if it's a big roast. When it comes out, it'll be almost falling apart, in it's own gravy from the flour water mixture and the potatoes will have a nice lite brown glaze on them, cooked to perfection.
Sounds kinda time consuming, but you're doing the vegetables while the searing is happening--I can have one in the oven in 15-20 minutes tops. With a 3" tall X 14 diameter round skillet, I use a standard collander of prepared vegetables--works out perfect. I usually don't peel the carrots, but do wash them good.

(My wife 'can' cook this but is lazy about it--does them without the flour or searing--always comes out dry and often tougher.)

We usually have some leftover, and we make a veg/beef soup with it the next day in a slow cooker, adding canned stewed tomato, more taters, carrots, onions and whatever we have, and enough water to make the soup. nyum nyum


I like beef roasts the best like yourself. So much you can do with the meat. For Aaron, oven bags (usually next to the slow cooker liners at Walmart and same manufacturer I think Reynolds) keep a chicken or turkey pretty moist from my experience.
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

User avatar
Margonme
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Princedom

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby Margonme » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:10 am

wbvs58 wrote:Kangaroo tail, potatoes, onion and seasoning in the slow cooker first thing in the morning, ready for dinner. Just the thing for a winter evening meal.

If your a bit short on kangaroo tails let us know and we will set up an export market.

Ken


:lol2:
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

User avatar
creekdrive
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:09 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby creekdrive » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 am

Aaron wrote:Just so you know, I hate beef roasts, or any roast, for the most part. That being said, I have found the magic recipe that allows me a to consume beef roasts in large quantities.

Slow cooker recipe for 4-5 lb roast.

Rub roast with 1-2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper, and 2 cloves minced garlic. Put into crock pot.

Mix 1/4 cup soy sauce, 3 tablespoon balsalmic vinegar, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and 2 teaspoon ground mustard. Pour over roast. Cover on low heat for 6 hours or until tender - it will fall into pieces.

I can almost polish off an entire roast myself when it is cooked this way with a solid helping of horseradish on the side. Sooooo good.


This sounds pretty good - I took a roast out last night and think I will try doing it this way today. Thanks for the idea! I always use the slow cooker for roasts, because whenever I've tried to cook a roast in the oven it always ends up dry.

I've done the '3 Packet Slow Cooker Roast' a few times before - it's quick & simple, and tastes pretty good too.

1 cup of water
1 Package of dry Italian Salad Dressing mix
1 Package of dry Ranch Salad Dressing mix
1 Package of dry Brown Gravy mix

Mix together. Pour over top of the roast in the slow cooker. Cook on Low for 6-8 hrs. I've thrown potatoes & carrots in the slow cooker with the roast quite often for a full meal that's quick & easy.
0 x


Return to “Recipes and Cooking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest