Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Koffi Babone
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Quick Meals (Hearty and Satisfying)

Postby Koffi Babone » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:16 am

30 min meals:

1) Fried Cod filets with rice and carrots (you need a rice cooker)

slice carrots, put in pot, fill water level just under carrots. Simmer in a pot with about a tablespoon of butter and about half tablespoon of sugar. Simmer until almost all the water is gone (about 25min)

Meanwhile, take your cod filet (fresh or frozen. I have frozen variety that are about 1 lbs each) salt (especially if frozen to get to start thawing process) and pepper. Flour all sides, melt butter in a frying pan and fry the fish until cooked (the frozen filet takes about 20 min, don't forget to flip the fish)

Rice in the rice cooker takes about 20 min too, make sure water level is about 1.5 cm (0.5 inch) above uncooked rice.

2) Spaghetti/spaghettini and pasta sauce:

Salted boiling water for the pasta. Pasta will cook in about 10 min, but gotta taste it. Make sure you have loads of water and butter the pasta after straining it.

Sauce takes about 30 min, if you are fairly organised. Slice onions (half rings or diced), fry in olive oil or butter. Dice your other veggies (carrots, celeri, zucchini, minced garlic etc or you can grate zucchini and carrots), and add to onions once onions are soft. Salt mixture. Add your ground beef (skip this part if you want a vegetarian dish). Fry the tomato pasta separately then add to mix (either remove initial ingredients or use separate pan) and diced tomatoes (canned tomatoes speed things up). Add spice (thym, basil, shiso leaves, cinnamon, cumin, etc) and simmer for as long as you can wait.
0 x

lavacarancher
GURU
GURU

Postby lavacarancher » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:20 am

Deep fried Oreo's are pretty good too.
0 x
If you think you're in charge, try bossing someone else's dog around.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:37 am

lavacarancher wrote:Deep fried Oreo's are pretty good too.

I agree

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=101814
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:28 am

A favorite of mine when I was a kid was something my Granny would fix for me. She was an expert on "lunching up something", or fixing something out of what, at first glance, appeared to be nothing.

Tuna and eggs. My kids named it Daddy's Surprise when they were little, and I still eat it. Drain the can of tuna, I like mine in water not oil, and scramble with eggs. Good stuff. I like it with whole wheat saltines and hard cheese, sharp cheddar at least. I have also added a few slices of jalapenos, or some Franks's/Tobasco or pepper juice vinegar. You can do what you like. Really fast and I think pretty good, and stays with you longer than may be expected. Bigger can of tuna and three xtra large barnyard eggs, half a tube of crackers and cheese, and I'm good for the day.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:40 pm

Thanks everyone for recipes. Easy to overthink what to make which makes it hard to begin with. I also like to cook with what on hand and keep stuff in freezer or pantry as Lord knows I hate grocery shopping!
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:08 pm

So how on earth do y'all choose what to make? Plan out a weekly menu? I find recipe searching and menu planning exhausting too many dang choices!
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:11 pm

We used black beans instead of kidney beans and added in tortilla chips

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/taco ... DetailPage
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:25 pm

Mix diced onions and Panko bread crumbs in with HB meat and make into individual size patties
Put in casserole dish
Add red potatoes, whole green beans and corn
Put in a little water and cover and cook in oven for 30-45 till HB is done
Quick easy meal
0 x

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:55 pm

Cross-7 wrote:Mix diced onions and Panko bread crumbs in with HB meat and make into individual size patties
Put in casserole dish
Quick easy meal

Have u ever had tater tot casserole, sounds kind of like that but not the cream of mushroom soup in there and plain potatoes instead of tater tots.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:12 pm

NECowboy wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:Mix diced onions and Panko bread crumbs in with HB meat and make into individual size patties
Put in casserole dish
Quick easy meal

Have u ever had tater tot casserole, sounds kind of like that but not the cream of mushroom soup in there and plain potatoes instead of tater tots.

Yep I can eat my weight in tater tot casserole
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:25 pm

Another I cook a lot, especially when I cook out on the grill
Cut up zucchini, squash, red potatoes, smoked sausage, shrimp.
Put in a big Dutch oven or disposable foil pan
Season( my favotite is garlic and black pepper) and cover and cook till veggies are done
0 x

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:27 pm

Cross-7 wrote:Another I cook a lot, especially when I cook out on the grill
Season( my favotite is garlic and black pepper) and cover and cook till veggies are done

Wish I liked veggies better ur eating better than me. Smoked sausage and shrimp and potatoes sound good then ears of corn that's lowcountry boil. Old bay seasoning.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:33 pm

Can't go wrong with a good cut of meat sliced against the grain like fajita strips
Cut chicken breast the same way.
Cut up some peppers of your choice ( I like red and yellow bell peppers, banana peppers, green chilies ) cut up an onion, a little salsa.
Wrap in foil pack avid throw on grill till nearly done.
Open up pack and pour all in big wok and cook till most of the liquid is cooked off
Most not all or it'll be dry
Serve with tortillas, salsa and guacamole
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm

NECowboy wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:Another I cook a lot, especially when I cook out on the grill

Wish I liked veggies better ur eating better than me. Smoked sausage and shrimp and potatoes sound good then ears of corn that's lowcountry boil. Old bay seasoning.

Corn on the cob works too with the other veggies
Serve with a big grilled steak
0 x

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:41 pm

Cross-7 wrote:Can't go wrong with a good cut of meat sliced against the grain like fajita strips
Cut chicken breast the same way.
Cut up some peppers of your choice ( I like red and yellow bell peppers, banana peppers, green chilies ) cut up an onion, a little salsa.
Wrap in foil pack avid throw on grill till nearly done.
Open up pack and pour all in big wok and cook till most of the liquid is cooked off
Most not all or it'll be dry
Serve with tortillas, salsa and guacamole

Hate peppers, squash (unless it's cooked and mashed up with ritz crackers, butter, egg, and cheese aka squash casserole), zucchini, lot of stuff. Can't say I've ever been a veggie fan that's probably what I'm supposed to eat though. More of a meat n taters kind of guy.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”