Jo - I am taking your advice

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Jo - I am taking your advice

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:44 pm

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Jo - I am taking your advice

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:37 am

Good for you! You might as well go pick out a new tractor because you'll be able to pay cash for it with the savings you'll have since you won't be buying any cheese anymore.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:48 am

Jogeephus wrote:Good for you! You might as well go pick out a new tractor because you'll be able to pay cash for it with the savings you'll have since you won't be buying any cheese anymore.

Lol I am ordering cheese making kit and the chemicals needed lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:58 am

When you make your first cheddar you'll have to make some bacon cheddar bread. Stuff is pretty awesome and is about as cheesy as it is baconny.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:19 am

Jogeephus wrote:When you make your first cheddar you'll have to make some bacon cheddar bread. Stuff is pretty awesome and is about as cheesy as it is baconny.

Very nice I will have to try it.. is there a place you recommend ordering the supplies from?
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:46 am

Pretty sure the author of the book you bought has a website you can order from.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:41 am

Jogeephus wrote:Pretty sure the author of the book you bought has a website you can order from.

True I just figured id ask you the food guru...
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:11 am

Let me know how it goes Jules, it's something I've thinking about trying it out also, but we eat very little cheese, maybe a pound every couple of weeks. Jo, when you make a batch of cheese how much do you usually make and does it freeze well?
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:06 pm

Alan wrote: Jo, when you make a batch of cheese how much do you usually make and does it freeze well?

I think it freezes like any other cheese but I don't know why you'd do this because its a lot like salami. I normally work in ten gallon batches and this will yield around 10 lbs of hard cheese or 20 lbs of soft cheese. Normally I'll make the hard cheese then rework the whey and get some soft cheese - maybe another 2-3 lbs. This soft stuff doesn't last that long but normally you want to age the hard cheese and the longer you age it the better it gets so you could just wax it and leave it in a cool room indefinitely and let it age like fine whiskey or wine. There are also some cheeses you don't wax and just hang in your kitchen till you need it.

As much cheese as Sky eats it might take him some time to build up enough to start aging but if he makes it regularly before long he'll have a backlog of cheeses aging. Its not difficult to make, just takes some time and planning.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:33 am

Alan wrote:Let me know how it goes Jules, it's something I've thinking about trying it out also, but we eat very little cheese, maybe a pound every couple of weeks. Jo, when you make a batch of cheese how much do you usually make and does it freeze well?

I will do so I have to order the supplies and then ill get cracking at it. I really want to make tons of provolone and smoke it.

Jogeephus wrote:
As much cheese as Sky eats it might take him some time to build up enough to start aging but if he makes it regularly before long he'll have a backlog of cheeses aging. Its not difficult to make, just takes some time and planning.

I will need to spend 2 - 8 hr days starting off to get ahead
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:48 am

Thanks Jo, for what ever reason I didn't think about the aging time. For whatever reason I have an image of Sky licking the bowl after making his first batch of cheese. :yuck: :lol:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:52 am

You'll save a fortune if you have a good source of milk.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”