crockpot/slow cooker

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: crockpot/slow cooker

Postby M-5 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:33 pm

Make a roux in a pan with flour use liquid off of roast then pour it back in crock pot.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:37 pm

jd720 wrote:Pork butt works really good. Season it with some seasoned salt and put it in the Crockpot with some apple juice and an onion quartered let it cook 8-10 hours. When its done take it out pull it apart and put it back in with a new liner then dump a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce in there mix it up and your good to go. The apple juice helps tenderize it and gives it a sweeter flavor.

I bought a little well marbled Boston butt today. Going to inject it w apple sauce and smoke and give the crock pot a whirl. Cold front coming and pulled pork sounds good!
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:40 pm

My wife made a apple cobbler in the crock pot about a month ago. And I couldn't believe how good it was. A scoop of ice cream, actually three, and I was set. It was absolutely delicious. If you're interested I could ask her the particulars.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:44 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:My wife made a apple cobbler in the crock pot about a month ago. And I couldn't believe how good it was. A scoop of ice cream, actually three, and I was set. It was absolutely delicious. If you're interested I could ask her the particulars.

Go ahead jmj that sounds good!
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:45 pm

Kingfisher wrote:
jd720 wrote:Pork butt works really good. Season it with some seasoned salt and put it in the Crockpot with some apple juice and an onion quartered let it cook 8-10 hours. When its done take it out pull it apart and put it back in with a new liner then dump a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce in there mix it up and your good to go. The apple juice helps tenderize it and gives it a sweeter flavor.

I bought a little well marbled Boston butt today. Going to inject it w apple sauce and smoke and give the crock pot a whirl. Cold front coming and pulled pork sounds good!

Never done much injecting does that add a lot of flavor king?
0 x
"So guess I'll stay right where I'm at, wear my boots and my cowboy hat...I gotta live my life and write my songs beneath these western skies" - Chris LeDoux, Western Skies

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:55 pm

NECowboy wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:My wife made a apple cobbler in the crock pot about a month ago. And I couldn't believe how good it was. A scoop of ice cream, actually three, and I was set. It was absolutely delicious. If you're interested I could ask her the particulars.

(1) box yellow cake mix. (1) can of pie filling (can use any kind if you don't like apple) and (2) sticks of butter.

Put pie filling on the bottom. Then cover with the cake mix. And then lay the two sticks of butter on top. Cook on low for around 4 hours. Easy enough.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:57 pm

Cross-7 wrote:http://topslowcookers.com/2016/10/13/the-easiest-crockpot-chicken-sausage-and-shrimp-gumbo/

Sorry for the late reply, but I would like to try gumbo for the first time. The recipe calls for 1 (one) medium shrimp. I know it's wrong but I'm new to shrimp in meal any suggestions to the correct amount to use in this recipe?

Thanks
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:25 pm

Your just using enough for you to eat. I like shrimp in each bite, so I cook a seafood with with alot of shrimp. You don't want big shrimp either. Shrimp in the 31-35 count (31-35 shrimp per pound) is a good size.

I highly recommend not cooking a chicken and sausage gumbo and add shrimp. That's a waste of seafood and ruins a chicken and sausage gumbo.

The longer you cook a gumbo, the better it will be and less of a roux taste.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:30 pm

M-5 wrote:Make a roux in a pan with flour use liquid off of roast then pour it back in crock pot.

I'll give that a try next week. Will smother a roast this weekend.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:36 pm

MudHog wrote:Your just using enough for you to eat. I like shrimp in each bite, so I cook a seafood with with alot of shrimp. You don't want big shrimp either. Shrimp in the 31-35 count (31-35 shrimp per pound) is a good size.

I highly recommend not cooking a chicken and sausage gumbo and add shrimp. That's a waste of seafood and ruins a chicken and sausage gumbo.

The longer you cook a gumbo, the better it will be and less of a roux taste.

I'm not a Louisiana boy so guess I claim to be no expert on gumbo why does shrimp ruin it mud?

Alan id probably use a pound. I like bigger shrimp (16-20 in a pound). Be sure to peel em I can't stand having to pick off shells in a restaurant.
0 x

NECowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby NECowboy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:39 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
NECowboy wrote:

(1) box yellow cake mix. (1) can of pie filling (can use any kind if you don't like apple) and (2) sticks of butter.

Put pie filling on the bottom. Then cover with the cake mix. And then lay the two sticks of butter on top. Cook on low for around 4 hours. Easy enough.

I always called it dump cake. Best in a Dutch oven over a fire. Have done both cherry and apple pie filling like the cherry the best. It is awesome though!
0 x

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:47 pm

Just a different taste. We have chicken and sausage and then we have seafood. Generally speaking too, chicken and sausage will be a dark roux and seafood will be a light roux.

Seafood gumbo will have shrimp, crab, and oysters in it. Chicken and sausage will have chicken, sausage, and task.

I'm not saying other people might not like it, but for me it just has a different taste. If I get a bite of shrimp, I'd want to be eating a seafood gumbo which has a completely different taste than a chicken and sausage gumbo.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:05 pm

MudHog wrote:
M-5 wrote:Make a roux in a pan with flour use liquid off of roast then pour it back in crock pot.

I'll give that a try next week. Will smother a roast this weekend.

On gravy don't cook your roux dark you only want it light Carmel color
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:40 pm

I thought this looked really good
I do HB meat and potatoes like that and season it up good and make burritos, but never thought to add onions, tomatoes and beans. I'll probably use chili beans instead of kidney beans.

http://slowcooker.cooktopcove.com/2016/ ... kerkitchen
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:41 pm

I put the leftover pulled pork in some big bell peppers the other day w enchilada sauce , cheese and some leftover peppers I ran thru the grinder. They were ok.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”