Cooking a whole steer?????

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
HDRider
GURU
GURU

Re: Cooking a whole steer?????

Postby HDRider » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:02 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I seen on youtube where they aged a piece cant remember the piece but for 45 days I bet that thing was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x34rnT10EXo
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:44 pm

HDRider wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I seen on youtube where they aged a piece cant remember the piece but for 45 days I bet that thing was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x34rnT10EXo

Nice video.. Not exact one but same difference
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:41 pm

I have done it. Take a while and a lot of wood.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:I have done it. Take a while and a lot of wood.

What technique did you use?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:04 am

Whole steer on a spit. Used half a 250 gallon propane tank for the pit. Made the spit out of a piece of pipe. Used hickory wood for lots of coals. You need the fire going well in advance so you are cooking on coals.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:24 am

Red Bull Breeder wrote:I have done it. Take a while and a lot of wood.

We need to have a big CT rendezvous and you can show us how it's done.

I have always wanted to do that.
0 x
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 101 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:41 am

I've cooked up to 600 # of beef in a pit if that would help ya, Always in roasts 10 -14#, never with a bone in, don't think I would do that with the way we do it, let know if you want info. Good luck 101
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:41 pm

101 wrote:I've cooked up to 600 # of beef in a pit if that would help ya, Always in roasts 10 -14#, never with a bone in, don't think I would do that with the way we do it, let know if you want info. Good luck 101

Making sure i'm following you. You cut everything in to roast bone out 10-14 pounds, and then smoked it like it was boston butts or shoulders? If so, that sounds like it would work.

I'm afraid people are committed to spit roasting this thing. It would be cool to do, I'm just afraid of a catastrophic failure.

If my math aint wrong, the carcass broke down in quarters works out to 80 pounds each. Four of us, could take a quarter, and cook it at our house, in whatever our prefered method was. I've got a cabinet smoker. I'd cook mine in that.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:44 pm

I personally don't think it will be very good . In order to make it worth eating nothing will need to be cooked past med rare. You can not achieve that on a whole qtr. IMO. Its not like a whole hog that has the fat to keep it all moist as the thicker parts reach desired temp. I may be completely off base because ive never done it but my simple mind cant wrap around how you accomplish making it palatable.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:46 pm

M-5 wrote:I personally don't think it will be very good . In order to make it worth eating nothing will need to be cooked past med rare. You can not achieve that on a whole qtr. IMO. Its not like a whole hog that has the fat to keep it all moist as the thicker parts reach desired temp. I may be completely off base because ive never done it but my simple mind cant wrap around how you accomplish making it palatable.

I think you are right.
0 x

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:56 pm

You will have cuts that suit everone. Some will get cooked more that other. Just figure on a lot of time.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:11 pm

M-5 wrote:I personally don't think it will be very good . In order to make it worth eating nothing will need to be cooked past med rare. You can not achieve that on a whole qtr. IMO. Its not like a whole hog that has the fat to keep it all moist as the thicker parts reach desired temp. I may be completely off base because ive never done it but my simple mind cant wrap around how you accomplish making it palatable.

Your probably right. The steer is a gift, so might as well go all in.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Beef is my favorite food group. That said, if I was calling the shots on this feed, I'd trade the gifted calf for enough cash to buy a couple fat hogs and make the good Christian cowboy folk happy about dinner. If you do roast that calf, stay up front in the chow line and let us know how the loin is! May the Lord bless your gathering, no matter what's on the menu.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

barnyard
Beginner
Beginner

Postby barnyard » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:07 am

I cooked a whole steer for my daughters wedding this past spring. It hung at 530lbs. Had local beef packing plant hang for10 days. We put it on a spit just like you would a hog, wrapped wire around it at 1-2" spacing, cooked it over wood, took 12.5
hours and came out great. I was very nervous as we were serving 300 people without a backup plan, but it could not have come out any better. Just make sure your help does not drink to much cause when its done is when you need all the help!!
0 x

barnyard
Beginner
Beginner

Postby barnyard » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:11 am

We did not serve individual cuts, we cut and pulled it mixed it all up, the served is 3 ways, plain, barbeque sauce, and a mushroom sauce.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”