Meat Master Jogee - or other butchers

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Meat Master Jogee - or other butchers

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:20 am

What is a good meat cleaver that's heavy duty and doesn't cost $ 700.00 like some I seen ? I have been butchering quite a bit lately and love my knifes I have but the cleaver sometimes is like swinging a ax over and over.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Meat Master Jogee - or other butchers

Postby M-5 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:26 am

just go to an antique store and buy one. Plenty of old ones around that will still take and edge.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:41 am

M-5 wrote:just go to an antique store and buy one. Plenty of old ones around that will still take and edge.

That's a good idea.. I will have to find some antique stores around and see if they have any.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:19 am

My dad collects them he has 20 or 30 hanging in his shop , When they travel he usally picks up several at yard sales and antique stores for around 15 to 20 bucks a piece
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:36 am

M-5 wrote:My dad collects them he has 20 or 30 hanging in his shop , When they travel he usally picks up several at yard sales and antique stores for around 15 to 20 bucks a piece

I need to go to some yard sales and look there is plenty here maybe even a craigslist ad
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:48 am

0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:16 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Did a quick search found this
https://richmond.craigslist.org/atq/6110518372.html

Just a suggestion Jules......when you go look at that cleaver wear a hoodie and put on a white hockey mask....... you may get a get discount! Always willing to help out friends! :mrgreen:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:17 am

Alan wrote:

Just a suggestion Jules......when you go look at that cleaver wear a hoodie and put on a white hockey mask....... you may get a get discount! Always willing to help out friends! :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:57 pm

Alan wrote:

Just a suggestion Jules......when you go look at that cleaver wear a hoodie and put on a white hockey mask.......
you may get a get discount!

Won't he be embarrassed when seller opens the door wearing the same outfit!
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:07 pm

if you do find a old one make sure its not pitted and you can take some 800 grit sand paper and it will shine up like new money. never put those high carbon blades in the dish washer or leave them in water. Use wash wipe and rub a little veg or olive oil on it
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:50 pm

M-5 wrote:if you do find a old one make sure its not pitted and you can take some 800 grit sand paper and it will shine up like new money. never put those high carbon blades in the dish washer or leave them in water. Use wash wipe and rub a little veg or olive oil on it

Thanks good tips
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:51 pm

If weight is the issue and you are not whacking bones heavier than a chicken ; look into a Chinese cleaver. Usually made with high carbon steel and they sharpen up like a razor......they also don't hold that edge for long but they make a great light duty cleaver
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Ontario Knife makes an "Old Hickory" 7" for under 30 dollars.Don't know how heavy but it's new and Made in USA.Their models are good carbon steel models priced right.They still make the two-edged "pig sticking" model.Just bought one for a friend who was butchering a hog last year.I have the old one my Grandaddy used and a newer one.
1095 carbon steel-same as in the USMC K-bar. @53-58 Rockwell.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:34 am

You ain't foolin me.
You aren't looking for a meat cleaver.....you're looking for a giant cheese whacker.

seriously tho.. I haven't tried any yet, but I have had about 3 different people reccomend RADA knives and cleavers.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:32 am

skyhightree1 wrote:What is a good meat cleaver that's heavy duty and doesn't cost $ 700.00 like some I seen ? I have been butchering quite a bit lately and love my knifes I have but the cleaver sometimes is like swinging a ax over and over.

These people make a decent butcher tools knives, cleavers and steels.
I have some that are 50 years old.
https://www.knifemerchant.com/products. ... uctLine=60
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”