deer tenderloin

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

deer tenderloin

Postby farmboy80 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:28 pm

Wanting a good recipe for deer tenderloin (back strap).
Thanks in advance!
The easier the better!
0 x
God, Family, Friends, Cattle. The order of the last two is debatable!

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Re: deer tenderloin

Postby hillbilly beef man » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:51 pm

Beat it with a meat mallet till it has the consisity of cube steak. Soak in buttermilk 24 hours, then roll in a mixture of flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Fry in a cast iron pan with plenty of hot oil. Make a pan of gravy with the drippings to pour over it. Do not check cholesterol for several days.
2 x
Teaching a child to work and manage money will take them futher in life than any education that they could ever receive.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Use pork chop Shake and Bake spices, and bake till the center is 120 degrees and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. A typical backstrap takes about 35 to 40 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees.
This is probably my second favorite behind fried, but anything fried is better in my book.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:00 pm

hillbilly beef man wrote:Beat it with a meat mallet till it has the consisity of cube steak. Soak in buttermilk 24 hours, then roll in a mixture of flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Fry in a cast iron pan with plenty of hot oil. Make a pan of gravy with the drippings to pour over it. Do not check cholesterol for several days.

Yep. What we call chicken fried steak.
0 x
Always take care of your credit. When you need it. It will take care of you.

Tennessee Tuxedo

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:03 am

It doesn’t need much. I fry in a blazing hot pan for about 30 seconds per side for a piece about 1/2” thick. Pull, add salt and pepper, and let it sit for about a minute. Should be somewhere between rare and med rare.
0 x

hdrockn
Beginner
Beginner

Postby hdrockn » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:04 am

M.Magis wrote:It doesn’t need much. I fry in a blazing hot pan for about 30 seconds per side for a piece about 1/2” thick. Pull, add salt and pepper, and let it sit for about a minute. Should be somewhere between rare and med rare.

I agree with this....for the tenderloin.....but tenderloin is not the backstrap. The loin is the backstrap. Did you miss the beautiful tenderloin on the inside of the ribs when you were butchering?
0 x

tater74
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tater74 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:54 am

Roll the whole loin in coarse ground pepper and grill over coals until medium rare. Slice and eat. Wonderful.
0 x
Nobody gets something for nothing unless somebody got nothing for something

"the cows are where your at,the bull is the direction your going...." ALACOWMAN

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:28 am

hdrockn wrote:
M.Magis wrote:It doesn’t need much. I fry in a blazing hot pan for about 30 seconds per side for a piece about 1/2” thick. Pull, add salt and pepper, and let it sit for about a minute. Should be somewhere between rare and med rare.

I agree with this....for the tenderloin.....but tenderloin is not the backstrap. The loin is the backstrap. Did you miss the beautiful tenderloin on the inside of the ribs when you were butchering?

I do the same for both.
0 x

Stinkerbell396
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Stinkerbell396 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:12 am

Crock pot. Put the tenderloin in there. Cut up some potatos & onions throw it all in there. Put enough water in there so everything is covered. If you like seasoned salt or just regular salt sprinkle some in. Turn the crock pot on high for 6 hours. If you have any left by the next day & have kids that don't like the term "left overs" you can add in green beans & diced tomatoes tell them its stew because apparently it having a new title of "stew" instead of "leftovers" makes it suddenly acceptable to eat again.

If you want to be fancy you can put slices in the tenderloin. Slice up a apple & put the slices of apple in the slices you cut in the tenderloin. Sprinkle brown sugar on top. Put in some water high for 6 hours but keep a eye on it to add water or turn to low if its cooked thru after 4 hours. The slices in the tenderloin seems to make it cook faster.
0 x

Hunter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hunter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:53 pm

tater74 wrote:Roll the whole loin in coarse ground pepper and grill over coals until medium rare. Slice and eat. Wonderful.

^^^^This, except wrap it in bacon.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Not to get off topic but why don’t you see back strap for sale? I see lots of venison sausage but never back strap or chili meat.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:47 pm

I’m guessing it goes to restaraunts.
0 x

Grundy53
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Grundy53 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 am

This or. Cut into medallions, wrap in bacon, throw in smoker/grill.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”