Cooking prime rib in oven

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Cooking prime rib in oven

Postby Till-Hill » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:31 pm

I'm a total rookie. Parents coming this weekend. Grandparents and so on. I want to eat good Saturday. Grabbed a 14 Prime Rib. I've heard of the 5 mins/# at 500 degrees and shut oven off for 2 hours. Will that work with this big of one? Butcher told me 325 1.5 hours then wrap with foil. Only problem with that I see is what time do I need to put it in oven for 7pm supper?!

Also reading uncover in fridge night before to let outside dry out and set on counter 2 hours before goes in oven?

Thanks!
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Cooking prime rib in oven

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Your best bet here is for Jo to see this. That guy is a Master.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:20 pm

5 minutes at 500 will barely brown the outside. If I recall, it's usually 500 for 30 minutes or so, then lower it to somewhere around 300 and cook until the internal is 120, then pull and don't touch for half hour. I don't like covering it, I prefer crust on the outside.
1 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:12 pm

M.Magis wrote:5 minutes at 500 will barely brown the outside. If I recall, it's usually 500 for 30 minutes or so, then lower it to somewhere around 300 and cook until the internal is 120, then pull and don't touch for half hour. I don't like covering it, I prefer crust on the outside.

I've done it both ways but think on a roast this big M.Magis has the right because 70 minutes at 500F might make an unsightly bark. I like to cook with a good thermometer or even two to be safe.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:15 pm

Till-Hill wrote:I'm a total rookie. Parents coming this weekend. Grandparents and so on. I want to eat good Saturday. Grabbed a 14 Prime Rib. I've heard of the 5 mins/# at 500 degrees and shut oven off for 2 hours. Will that work with this big of one? Butcher told me 325 1.5 hours then wrap with foil. Only problem with that I see is what time do I need to put it in oven for 7pm supper?!

Also reading uncover in fridge night before to let outside dry out and set on counter 2 hours before goes in oven?

Thanks!

My wife has done this a couple of times and it's been very good each time. I don't recall the size but don't think hers have ever been that big though.
0 x
J & D Cattle

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Thank you all, I'll take a bit of advise from all of you and I'm sure it will turn out great.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 pm

Till-Hill wrote:Thank you all, I'll take a bit of advise from all of you and I'm sure it will turn out great.

As long as you don't overcook it you can't mess up. A good thermometer is the key. Use internal temp over time every time and you can't miss.
2 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Let us know. Just don't over cook it. Don't forget the horse radish sauce, and some plain horse radish for the purists.
1 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:23 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
M.Magis wrote:5 minutes at 500 will barely brown the outside. If I recall, it's usually 500 for 30 minutes or so, then lower it to somewhere around 300 and cook until the internal is 120, then pull and don't touch for half hour. I don't like covering it, I prefer crust on the outside.

I've done it both ways but think on a roast this big M.Magis has the right because 70 minutes at 500F might make an unsightly bark. I like to cook with a good thermometer or even two to be safe.

Agreed.
500 for about 30-40 min. You're essentially looking for a sear on the meat surface. Reduce heat to 325.
Definitely want to use a good probe thermometer. Pull it from oven about 5-10 degrees short of target temp. Tent loosely with foil and let rest 20-30 minutes. For a whole rib roast, if ribs are attached, or cut & tied, figure total of about 3 to 3-1/2 hours to service time for medium rare. If its boneless, deduct about 30 min.

Yes, let it breath in refrig 24- 48 hours before cooking
1 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:Thank you all, I'll take a bit of advise from all of you and I'm sure it will turn out great.

As long as you don't overcook it you can't mess up. A good thermometer is the key. Use internal temp over time every time and you can't miss.

Leave thermometer in it whole time and look thru window or open oven up and stab it quick every so often?
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:54 pm

HDRider wrote:Let us know. Just don't over cook it. Don't forget the horse radish sauce, and some plain horse radish for the purists.

Will be none of that! Just some auju (spelling?) for me and just butter/salt/pepper/maybe garlic rub on it. Nothing fancy here in Iowa!
1 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Till-Hill wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

Leave thermometer in it whole time and look thru window or open oven up and stab it quick every so often?

Thermometer needs to stay in until you pull the meat and the internal temp starts to go down. I use a cheaper electronic one with an alarm. I think they cost $10-$15. The probe stays in the meat with a wire to the thermometer that sits on the stove.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:02 pm

:2cents: Pricey, but the best instant read thermometer I've ever used is a Thermapen.. Call me crazy, but I always smoked my prime rib using a cheap remote thermometer and check with the Thermapen before pulling. I'll eat the regular cooked stuff when I go out. Yes, horseradish and au jus are necessary.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Till-Hill wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

Yes, leave it in. One other tip I'd suggest is to not succumb to the wishes of the few who want theirs cooked medium well. This will only ruin it for you and really be disastrous when you eat the leftovers. To make these people happy, make some au jus sauce and pour it over their "pink" meat and it will immediately look like its cooked medium well and everyone will be happy because what they don't know will only make them happy,.
2 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:28 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

Yes, leave it in. One other tip I'd suggest is to not succumb to the wishes of the few who want theirs cooked medium well. This will only ruin it for you and really be disastrous when you eat the leftovers. To make these people happy, make some au jus sauce and pour it over their "pink" meat and it will immediately look like its cooked medium well and everyone will be happy because what they don't know will only make them happy,.
Thank you Jo, Medium rare here in the center. Those that want it more done yes I'll try that or I'll even cook theirs more for them, but next year they get hamburger then!
1 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”