Syrup

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Syrup

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:37 pm

This is going to sound completely ignorant, but what do you folks use cane syrup for???? Is it like maple syrup is for us northerners? Something to put over pancakes and waffles, and sweeten other things????
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:This is going to sound completely ignorant, but what do you folks use cane syrup for???? Is it like maple syrup is for us northerners? Something to put over pancakes and waffles, and sweeten other things????

All the above. It is good on buttered toast. Anything goes good with sorghum molasses or syrup.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:41 pm

wlamarparmer wrote:My boyhood, many tried other methods. tractors, gas engines, nothing surpassed ol' wore out mule.
That cane juice for teen boy early winter. PRICELESS
w lamar parmer

Did you ever ferment it or the skimmings? While we were cooking this off I noticed some of the younger people carrying on that tradition.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Don't throw any of your "Danger Will Robinson" jerky in it.

I bet you make a hot version. :cry:

:lol2: :lol2: Nah but if you remember the sweetness of the $2 Pistol this was from this syrup and tupelo honey.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:This is going to sound completely ignorant, but what do you folks use cane syrup for???? Is it like maple syrup is for us northerners? Something to put over pancakes and waffles, and sweeten other things????

Yes, it would be our version of your maple syrup and like your real maple syrup this hasn't been cut like the commercial stuff.
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Jogeephus wrote:

Yes, it would be our version of your maple syrup and like your real maple syrup this hasn't been cut like the commercial stuff.

That's one of the best parts of living up here, a person can get real, fresh bottled maple syrup very easily. I know dozens of people who run sap, and several that make syrup. It's pretty much a given that everyone will get at least one bottle of local syrup for Christmas.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

That's one of the best parts of living up here, a person can get real, fresh bottled maple syrup very easily. I know dozens of people who run sap, and several that make syrup. It's pretty much a given that everyone will get at least one bottle of local syrup for Christmas.

I can't say I've ever had real maple syrup. The stuff I've had is really watered down and "thin".
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

I can't say I've ever had real maple syrup. The stuff I've had is really watered down and "thin".

Jo, real maple syrup should be just a tad thicker than water.....nothing like the c**p in the store that is mostly corn syrup.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:50 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

My wife brought some back when she visited her sister in Vt. I wasn't impressed.
I have heard of people making syrup from Sweetgum and Sycamore tree sap, but never seen or tasted the syrup myself.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Logar » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:55 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Finished the last batch of cane syrup this weekend. Its a lot of work but in the end the smiles on people's faces when you hand them a bottle and say Merry Christmas makes its worth the effort.

Never had it - is it thick or is it runny?

Can you buy it in the store - might like to try it.

Merry Christmas.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:30 am

I'm not jogeephus but ribbon cane syrup is pretty thick. Molasses thick.
If it's thin, someone watered it down to stretch it and from what I've had, it's kinda 'skunky' when done that way..
Yes, you can buy it in stores...here anyway..some is better than others.
Steens is the brand I see in stores here. I've seen also Uncle John's and Fains.
https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Syrup-Steen ... B00IYTLVC0
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:47 am

GB,
Gotta brag here. Steens is made in my hometown. Guarantee you it is pure cane syrup without any additives. Sure smells good when they fire up the kettles. Smell drifts over the whole town.
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:10 am

Logar wrote:Never had it - is it thick or is it runny?

Can you buy it in the store - might like to try it.

Merry Christmas.

It can be thick or runny depending on if you want to make molasses or syrup. This is where the art comes in because each year is different and different canes have different sugar contents. Humidity also effects it. The trick is to reduce it down to the consistency you like and stop the heat. If you don't stop the heat soon enough you will end up with a pot of sugar or candy you will have to chisel out of the pot. Making this call is an art and is done by reading the run off from the paddle since the pot is a frothy brew that you can't really see. You can also read the bubbles once you've done it a few times.

1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:09 am

It can be thick or runny depending on if you want to make molasses or syrup

I've never heard of molasses being made from sugar cane...always made from sorghum.
0 x

Covet Not!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Much stronger, sweeter and thicker. Works best on a big fat biscuit with some butter inside. ;-) Most ribbon cane syrup I've seen was sold in cans.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”