Coho Salmon and Maple Syrup

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Coho Salmon and Maple Syrup

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:54 pm

There are some sure enough horse traders on the board. I like horse traders. Good people. Here is the results of what I do with real maple syrup and Coho salmon a couple members fixed me up with. Won't mention names but you know who you are and I appreciate you. Though I don't know squat about salmon nor maple syrup I hope I've done the syrup and salmon justice. Thanks again. Gonna have the whole family here for Easter and I believe this maple syrup smoked salmon is going to be a hit - assuming it lasts till Easter.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Coho Salmon and Maple Syrup

Postby slick4591 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Looks great! Sure would be difficult to stay out of in this house.
1 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:14 am

Its pretty tasty. I've caught myself nibbling at it a time or two. :oops:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:31 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE smoked salmon!
I brine the salmon in brown sugar, salt and pepper for around 12 hours. Then rinse and pat dry. I put it in my smoker at 220 and it takes about an hour to get the salmon to 140. It almost never gets cold, since the family devours it.

I have never tried the maple syrup, what is the recipe?
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:28 am

I used Hank Shaw's recipe. The only thing I did differently was I cold smoked them in apple wood for a few hours first then followed his procedure which is similar to what you do. I don't eat much salmon so I don't have a lot to compare this to but IMO its pretty darn good.

https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:49 am

Having been raised on salmon about 6 days a week I find smoked salmon about the only way it is palatable. But good fresh smoked Coho, Chinook, or Sockeye done right is very good.
1 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:11 pm

You look like an old pro with that smoked salmon! Looks great, I have a few fillets left in the freezer may have to try that recipe!
1 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:39 am

Everyone seemed to love it for Easter.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Jogeephus wrote:There are some sure enough horse traders on the board. I like horse traders. Good people. Here is the results of what I do with real maple syrup and Coho salmon a couple members fixed me up with. Won't mention names but you know who you are and I appreciate you. Though I don't know squat about salmon nor maple syrup I hope I've done the syrup and salmon justice. Thanks again. Gonna have the whole family here for Easter and I believe this maple syrup smoked salmon is going to be a hit - assuming it lasts till Easter.

That looks so good.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”