Outdoor Kitchen

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Outdoor Kitchen

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:12 pm

slick4591 wrote:
HDRider wrote:Arkansas seems to have fallen a little too far south next to Texas in that stone work.

Slick that is a grade A, #1 outdoor kitchen.

:lol: A little slippage there.

Thank you. We are trying to make it something easy to work out of and proud to have.

You've already done that but go ahead and finish it anyway.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:17 pm

slick4591 wrote:Thanks. I just wish it wasn't taking so long. We are also finding out with this heat we're going to have to buy a swamp fan to kill some of the heat. Tried to sit out there and drink a beer but it was just to hot. I don't think a ceiling fan will do the job.

Which direction is the part where the grills are--looking out west when you will be cooking?
Makes a lot of difference in the afternoon sun. Solar cloth can work wonders on the sunny side.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:34 pm

Jogeephus wrote:You've already done that but go ahead and finish it anyway.

Thanks Jo. I believe we will. :lol:

greybeard wrote:Which direction is the part where the grills are--looking out west when you will be cooking?
Makes a lot of difference in the afternoon sun. Solar cloth can work wonders on the sunny side.

Yes, it's looking west and I have my doubts on the shade cloth alone being enough. We looked at some 80% stuff today at Home Depot and I wasn't impressed. Called a pro and got him on the hook to come out at some point for an estimate.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:36 am

You might try a greenhouse supply company for shade cloth. I used it on my greenhouse years ago and it really worked well. They had 40-60-80% etc. shade ratings. Just an idea.
1 x
“Become friends with people who aren't your age. Hang out with people whose first language isn't the same as yours. Get to know someone who doesn't come from your social class. This is how you grow.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:39 am

millstreaminn wrote:You might try a greenhouse supply company for shade cloth. I used it on my greenhouse years ago and it really worked well. They had 40-60-80% etc. shade ratings. Just an idea.

Thank you. I hadn't thought of that, but it reminds me that years ago I special ordered some of that fabric with grommets in it to string across a 30' area when we were catering and entertaining. When the summer/fall season was over I took it down and folded it, then put it away in the building. The rats ended up having a field day with it and it looked so bad I sent it to the burn pile. For this one I'm hoping to find something that can be rolled up like a window shade and left in place thru the off season.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:04 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
M-5 wrote:I fail to understand why a contractor has to be involved. A quick trip to lowes and you have everything you need.

Could be he has a nice home and wants a first class outdoor kitchen.

Stands repeating although I must admit he really has outdone himself.
2 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks, TT! Really nice of you to say that. Although, I have failed in two areas of this due to my wife not budging. I'm not getting a fridge or kegerator right now. But, this kitchen is expandable. :lol:
1 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:17 am

slick4591 wrote:Thanks, TT! Really nice of you to say that. Although, I have failed in two areas of this due to my wife not budging. I'm not getting a fridge or kegerator right now. But, this kitchen is expandable. :lol:

Expandable is nice.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:13 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

Yes, it's looking west and I have my doubts on the shade cloth alone being enough. We looked at some 80% stuff today at Home Depot and I wasn't impressed. Called a pro and got him on the hook to come out at some point for an estimate.

Slick,
i went thru several cheap ones on my patio and finally purchased a better grade off of amazon. They have all different grades and prices. I have been very satisfied with this one and also with the Keystone Co. for their advice and service. Check this one out on Amazon. Was no problem to install. Well built.

Keystone Fabrics Premium Outdoor Sun Shade, Cordless, 10-Feet by 8-Feet, Kona (under $400 )
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:45 am

bbirder wrote:
slick4591 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

Slick,
i went thru several cheap ones on my patio and finally purchased a better grade off of amazon. They have all different grades and prices. I have been very satisfied with this one and also with the Keystone Co. for their advice and service. Check this one out on Amazon. Was no problem to install. Well built.

Keystone Fabrics Premium Outdoor Sun Shade, Cordless, 10-Feet by 8-Feet, Kona (under $400 )

Thanks. I've looked and the longest I saw there was the 10' like you bought. I would prefer something 12", but not sure if I might have to go with two 6' to get there. Don't really want the break between the two either, but hopefully the pro can give me solid advice on what I have.
0 x

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:50 am

They offer it in different lengths and I am sure they have a 12'. At the least it will give you a comparison to the price the pro gives you. Mine has a heavy duty removable crank handle to raise and lower. It can be hung somewhere out of the way. Also, the bottom has enough weight to it that the wind doesn't flap it around.
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:06 am

I was wondering how hard those cranks would be to use because the wife isn't very strong. I kinda figured the wider they were the harder it would be.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:15 am

slick4591 wrote:I was wondering how hard those cranks would be to use because the wife isn't very strong. I kinda figured the wider they were the harder it would be.

you can always put an adapter on it to use a portable drill .
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:23 am

slick4591 wrote:Just about completed the floor (leaving me a little treat in the center) and had to quit when they reached the north counter/smoker (not built yet) area. The electrician/plumber/gas guy wasn't here today so no more counter work until he makes his connections. Also decided to place the grills in the holes to make sure their measurements were correct before cutting slabs next week.

After going over all your pics I found a MAJOR problem with your outdoor kitchen.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:34 am

skyhightree1 wrote:After going over all your pics I found a MAJOR problem with your outdoor kitchen.

Wanna come fix it?
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”