Texas beans

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Texas beans

Postby Ebenezer » Sat May 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Some years back we were in the Edwards Plateau area on a group cattle trip. Many of the places we ate had a serving or a dish of pinto beans with no obvious other food mixed in the beans but a good flavor from some spices. I asked several times and all they called them were pinto beans or Texas beans. They were cooked in house and were not canned. Any Texans on here have an idea of a basic recipe? Here in SC, it is pintos with some sort of smoked pork and water. They are good but I was wanting a different taste for a change. Thanks.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: Texas beans

Postby 1982vett » Sat May 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Hmmm....lots of charro bean recipes out their.....I’ve had to revise how I cook pintos because my wife likes “plain” cooked beans so I’ve had to stop putting in a can of rotel....even if I spin it up in a blender she still complains if I used to much but I think it adds a lot of flavor you are missing. Mine goes something like this.....

About a quart of dry pinto beans
A pint of beef or chicken stock plus enough water to cover beans about 3 inches
About a tablespoon of onion powder
About a teaspoon of garlic powder
Half teaspoon of fine ground black pepper
Tablespoon or two of salt...start with one and adjust after the are cooked. Salty ness will depend on how much liquid you have cooked away
3 or 4 slices of bacon.

Start rendering the bacon but don’t cook it.
Add everything else and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover wit lid and slow simmer for 2 or 3 hours. Keep an eye on your liquid level and check tenderness of beans. As they near the end of cooking, if I have a lot of liquid left I remove the lid to let the steam escape. You will have to turn up the heat to compensate for the heat loss.

If you don’t mind chunky bits of onion and garlic in the beans you can mince and dice it up instead of using powder. Try it with the rotel also. Gotten to where I would rather have it blended rather than just dumpped in also. In my opinion they are better the day after cooking so I cook a day in advance and reheat the day the are needed. One less thing to have to worry with the day of.

Give me a few days and I’ll post up the recipe this is derived from.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun May 13, 2018 9:04 am

As promised... I got this out of a local newspaper a long while back. app.php/gallery/image/14
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun May 13, 2018 9:38 am

Wife's recipe is pretty simple. First she insists on nothing but Casserole Brand pinto beans. There is a difference and these are exceptional. She doesn't soak, just puts them in water and on the stove top usually some ham or sometimes bacon along with salt and black pepper and when you need to add liquid use chicken broth instead of water.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Txpiney » Sun May 13, 2018 4:04 pm

TexasBred wrote:Wife's recipe is pretty simple. First she insists on nothing but Casserole Brand pinto beans. There is a difference and these are exceptional. She doesn't soak, just puts them in water and on the stove top usually some ham or sometimes bacon along with salt and black pepper and when you need to add liquid use chicken broth instead of water.

I also add rotell and cilantro.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Used to use my own recipe until I found Fiesta brand bean seasoning. This with bacon ends added almost makes it unfair.
1 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

snoopdog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby snoopdog » Mon May 14, 2018 4:54 am

Find some annasazi (not sure of spelling ) beans, you'll throw the pintos out the window .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Mon May 14, 2018 7:09 am

In the past, I've tried cooking to near the recipes above and never got the taste of what was served. Their beans were beans only in a thin flavored broth so I do not know what they did to flavor. I guessed at onion powder, garlic powder, chill powder and chicken broth but I have no idea.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon May 14, 2018 7:51 am

I think they need a long slow cook for one. Also the flavor intensifies as the liquid is cooked away to a thin gravy like consistency.

I’ll bet the one your trying to create had bullion from bbq beef or pork added.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 14, 2018 3:19 pm

snoopdog wrote:Find some annasazi (not sure of spelling ) beans, you'll throw the pintos out the window .

Snoop we use those as well and they are out of this world.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon May 14, 2018 3:36 pm

TexasBred wrote:Wife's recipe is pretty simple. First she insists on nothing but Casserole Brand pinto beans. There is a difference and these are exceptional. She doesn't soak, just puts them in water and on the stove top usually some ham or sometimes bacon along with salt and black pepper and when you need to add liquid use chicken broth instead of water.

I love that over white rice or wild rice. Its the only time I really like plain rice.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue May 15, 2018 5:35 am

I can eat em about any way.. As long as there's good cornbread ...
1 x
a liberal is a man, that will give away everything he doesn't own..

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 am

snoopdog wrote:Find some annasazi (not sure of spelling ) beans, you'll throw the pintos out the window .

I bought a bag of those once. Left them on the table to cook the next day and when I went to get them..they were gone. Saw them a week later up on the top shelf of the pantry, :???: but when I went to get them a couple days later, they had mysteriously and completely disappeared. :???: :???:

;-) ;-)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

snoopdog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby snoopdog » Tue May 15, 2018 7:37 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:I can eat em about any way.. As long as there's good cornbread ...
Amen
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed May 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Red beans and rice' sho would be nice' back where the Mississippi River flows...
0 x
a liberal is a man, that will give away everything he doesn't own..

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”