Sauerruben

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Sauerruben

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 pm

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I'm not that desperate yet. But if you ever drink Knob Creek you better stock up on it now cause its fixing to go up tremendously.

I'm just trying to figure out how to maximize my return on $16.00 worth of turnip seed. I've fed the neighborhood, I've fed strangers, I've fed the family, I've fed the cows but while I love turnips a man can only eat but so many. :nod:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:47 am

After reading all 4 pages of this I can't help but wondering why didn't you just feed the turnips to the cattle?
0 x
Every calf deserves a white face.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:16 pm

KNERSIE wrote:After reading all 4 pages of this I can't help but wondering why didn't you just feed the turnips to the cattle?

I did. I just made one last picking before I did. We cooked em, gave em away and still got some left over. I just hate to have spent all the time washing them and picking them to turn right back around and feed them to the cows.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Angus Cowman
GURU
GURU

Postby Angus Cowman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:23 pm

How much longer before it is ready Jo?

I asked an old timer about it the other day and she said she used to make it all the time and if it is made correctly it is great but made improperly it can be lethal
0 x
If they had to actually work with a Spade and Hoe versus electing them we would all be better off (Caustic Burno 2011)

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:58 pm

It should be ready in 2-4 weeks now. It's not smelling much now. If I stick my finger in the water it smells just like saurkraut. I hope it will be good.
0 x

mnmtranching
GURU
GURU

Postby mnmtranching » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:38 am

Angus Cowman wrote:How much longer before it is ready Jo?

I asked an old timer about it the other day and she said she used to make it all the time and if it is made correctly it is great but made improperly it can be lethal

OH come on :???: Joe said He's going to try it out on the guys who eat yotes. :roll:
0 x
Its the cost of production and the value of your marketable product, or if you having fun. That's it, everything else is BS.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:03 pm

mnmtranching wrote:
Angus Cowman wrote:How much longer before it is ready Jo?

OH come on :???: Joe said He's going to try it out on the guys who eat yotes. :roll:

I'm glad you made this post cause I forgot all about it. Checked the calandar and it should be more than ready. Here is a picture of the result of weeks of toil and careful cooking techniques. :lol2:

I haven't warmed any up yet but I have had several samples of it right out of the crock. I gotta say its pretty good. Tastes kinda like saurerkraut but its not as salty or strong. Its kinda like a moderate sauerkraut without the bite. Its good though and if I post tomorrow you'll know it didn't kill me. I think I'll make it again but next time I'm going to put some more salt in it and maybe some pickling spices to increase the flavor a bit. I like spices. But all in all it was worth the trouble.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Her sweetnesty just came home and informed me I jumped the gun and explained how to use a calandar. :oops: She likes the way it tastes so we are going to cook some tonight, can some tonight and put the rest back in to go the full length of time. Maybe in two more weeks it will have more bite.
0 x

Angus Cowman
GURU
GURU

Postby Angus Cowman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:21 am

Jogeephus wrote:Her sweetnesty just came home and informed me I jumped the gun and explained how to use a calandar. :oops: She likes the way it tastes so we are going to cook some tonight, can some tonight and put the rest back in to go the full length of time. Maybe in two more weeks it will have more bite.

Don't ya hate it when they are always right
0 x
If they had to actually work with a Spade and Hoe versus electing them we would all be better off (Caustic Burno 2011)

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:27 am

Jogeephus wrote:Her sweetnesty just came home and informed me I jumped the gun and explained how to use a calandar. :oops: She likes the way it tastes so we are going to cook some tonight, can some tonight and put the rest back in to go the full length of time. Maybe in two more weeks it will have more bite.

I was wondering how 4-6 weeks had passed since March 2. I thought I had lost a month somewhere
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:40 am

dun wrote:

I was wondering how 4-6 weeks had passed since March 2. I thought I had lost a month somewhere

When you lose something as simple as your reading glasses you can lose just about anything including time. :oops: :lol2: :nod:
0 x

Bullbuyer
GURU
GURU

Postby Bullbuyer » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:32 pm

My dad's cousin made some of that stuff and I agree with Jogee - not as salty or strong as regular kraut. i like it a lot better than sauerkraut - his was grated really fine - made for an interesting texture as well as taste.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:07 am

My wife says it has a hint of horseradish. I plan on carrying some more on for the full 4 and 6 week period to see how it turns out.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:43 am

Its done. Taste just like saurerkraut only not as crunchy.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”