Boiled Peanuts

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
FarmGirl10
GURU
GURU

Boiled Peanuts

Postby FarmGirl10 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:22 pm

I finally found a place to get raw peanuts, now I need a recipe. :D It would be a plus if it was spicy! Well atleast I think.
0 x
You may think the grass is greener of the other side, but if you take the time to water your own grass it will be just as green.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Boiled Peanuts

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:27 am

My wife makes good ones. Her recipe is pretty straightforward. Fill a large pot with green peanuts, cover in water and add a 1/2 container of salt to it. Boil for about an hour. Take a few out and taste them. If they are salty enough for your taste remove them. If not, leave them in the water and they will soak up more salt.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:29 am

Jogeephus wrote:My wife makes good ones. Her recipe is pretty straightforward. Fill a large pot with green peanuts, cover in water and add a 1/2 container of salt to it. Boil for about an hour. Take a few out and taste them. If they are salty enough for your taste remove them. If not, leave them in the water and they will soak up more salt.

Your wife sounds handy. Maybe you should have had her build your jenny
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

grannysoo
GURU
GURU

Postby grannysoo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:28 am

You can spice them up if you choose, however we just use salt. Just remember, it only takes about an hour boiling to cook them. The cool down process is where they suck in the salt...
0 x
When blacks have identity it is called pride.
When indians have identity it is called culture.
When jews have identity it is called history.
When whites have identity it is called racism.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:18 pm

dun wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:My wife makes good ones. Her recipe is pretty straightforward. Fill a large pot with green peanuts, cover in water and add a 1/2 container of salt to it. Boil for about an hour. Take a few out and taste them. If they are salty enough for your taste remove them. If not, leave them in the water and they will soak up more salt.

Your wife sounds handy. Maybe you should have had her build your jenny

:lol2: She is pretty handy and based on the the results of my homemade jenny I doubt she could have done worse. I did figure out a fix simple fix for it. A pin set into a hole drilled thru the pipe threads. I'll just call it the Yugo of Spinning Jennies. :lol2:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Lammie
GURU
GURU

Postby Lammie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:13 am

I grew up in peanut country. Heck, my dad used to work at the dryer at night during the season and my uncle was a peanut farmer for decades. Why have I never tried boiled peanuts? Why do they sound so gross. Are they like beans? Do they get soft? Are they mushy? I can't wrap my mind around a boiled peanut and I have eaten peanuts in more ways that Bubba Blue had shrimf recipes.

Did I miss something from childhood? Is it possible I blocked it out of my mind.

Parched peanuts, peanut brittle, roasted peanuts, peanut soup, peanut butter, Peanut butter cookies, spicy peanuts...
0 x
I never trust anyone who says that they are too old to read a children's book.

grannysoo
GURU
GURU

Postby grannysoo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:23 am

Lammie wrote:I grew up in peanut country. Heck, my dad used to work at the dryer at night during the season and my uncle was a peanut farmer for decades. Why have I never tried boiled peanuts? Why do they sound so gross. Are they like beans? Do they get soft? Are they mushy? I can't wrap my mind around a boiled peanut and I have eaten peanuts in more ways that Bubba Blue had shrimf recipes.

Did I miss something from childhood? Is it possible I blocked it out of my mind.

Parched peanuts, peanut brittle, roasted peanuts, peanut soup, peanut butter, Peanut butter cookies, spicy peanuts...

You have most definately missed out. All of the ways you describe peanuts above are ways that people ruin them. There is no better way to eat a peanut than to have it boiled. They do get soft, but normally not mushy. The flavor is incredible.

Go buy some and boil them now!
0 x
When blacks have identity it is called pride.
When indians have identity it is called culture.
When jews have identity it is called history.
When whites have identity it is called racism.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:17 am

I agree, you gotta try them. Once you start eating them you just can't hardly stop. I like them a little firm and not mushy. I also prefer mine chilled but I have eaten them right out of the pot and they were so hot I've burned my tongue. Parched peanuts are only good if you are hungry.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:13 pm

It's a Georgia, southeast thing. I had never heard of or seen them until a trip to GA two years ago and I thought the same as you but they are really good but I only like them warm or hot.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:45 pm

And if you try them, please don't judge them by the quality of the canned peanuts you can buy in a store. I don't even like some of these brands.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”