Canning

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Canning

Postby greybeard » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:41 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Looks good!

Thanks this canning is alot of work

wah-wah-wah. :lol2:
Wasn't much to can this year for us due to my failure at gardening. Canned some tomatoes, corn, and made some pickles. Froze most of the corn. Might candy some jalapenos later.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Grey how do you candy jalepenos I got them growing out my ears but they arent ready yet and habeneros too nt sure what to do with them. Grey looks good to me better something than nothing at all... Do you or anyone in here use the freezer safe jars ? I do.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:55 pm

jalepeno's and alot of cayenne to add a lil spice to it LOL
Hot chow chow is on the left the left over sweet and spicy juice I canned as well because it had a good taste so figured I could either soak meat in it or brush it one while grilling or just use it to make some sort of sweet salsa later not sure but I saved it what do yall suggest I do with the spare juice ? middle is just the straight juice in jar left is regular chow chow to show you the comparison between regular and the sweet and spicy chow chow
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:31 pm

I use a recipe very similar to this:
http://www.muybuenocookbook.com/2013/01 ... jalapenos/
except I leave the garlic out, and cut the mustard seeds by 1/2, and I add some brown sugar or molasses.
Wife can't stand the heat, so I usually make a few extra jars with the seeds removed or use serranos instead of jalapenos for her.
City girl candy.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:36 pm

thanks grey yea my wife wont eat anything with any heat in it .. I gave my boy a fresh jalepeno out the garden yesterday he normally likes hot stuff but that one wasnt for him lol I have 5 habenero plants have no clue what to do with those.. I want to try to make a habenero mango sauce that I ate on some wings from a place called buffalo wild wings..
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:55 am

Looks good. Nothing like having stuff squared away in the pantry for later.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:08 am

Good point Jo... I wonder how that left over juice would taste poured over a pulled pork sandwich.
0 x

juliapeter007
Beginner
Beginner

Postby juliapeter007 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:17 am

I blended all components together as well as placed several salt on top I'll empty the lake involving of it as well as rinse out the actual produce after that make down the road.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:27 am

I had a few extra cucumbers and made refrigerator pickles the other day.

REFRIGERATOR PICKLES

1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups white sugar
6 cups sliced cucumbers
1 cup sliced onions

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring vinegar, salt and sugar to a boil. Boil until the sugar has dissolved, about 10 minutes.

Place the cucumbers and onions in a large bowl. Pour the vinegar solution over the vegetables. Transfer into sterile contain and store in the refrigerator.

I used a food processor to slice the cukes and they were sliced very thin. They are good alone or in a salad, and the onion tastes like it is candied. It is tasty.
I think that I may try making them with a seeded jalapeno next time and try processing the jars in a hot water bath.

CANDIED JALAPENOS

Ingredients
3 pounds fresh, firm, jalapeno peppers, washed
2 cups cider vinegar
6 cups white granulated sugar
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon celery seed
3 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Instructions:
Wearing gloves, remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. The easiest way to do this is to slice a small disc off of the stem-end along with the stem. Discard the stems.
Slice the peppers into uniform ⅛-1/4 inch rounds. Set aside.
In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and simmer for exactly 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into clean, sterile canning jars to within ¼ inch of the upper rim of the jar. Turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes.
Use a ladle to pour the boiling syrup into the jars over the jalapeno slices. Insert a cooking chopstick to the bottom of the jar two or three times to release any trapped pockets of air. Adjust the level of the syrup if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp paper towel and fix on new, two-piece lids to finger-tip tightness.

*If you have leftover syrup, and it is likely that you will, you may can it in half-pint or pint jars, too. It’s wonderful brushed on meat on the grill or added to potato salad or, or, or… In short, don’t toss it out!

Place jars in a canner, cover with water by 2-inches. Bring the water to a full rolling boil. When it reaches a full rolling boil, set the timer for 10 minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. When timer goes off, use canning tongs to transfer the jars to a cooling rack. Leave them to cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours. When fully cooled, wipe them with a clean, damp washcloth then label.
Allow to mellow for at least two weeks, but preferably a month before eating.
Last edited by chippie on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Postby hillbilly beef man » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:07 am

It is going to be a wihle before I have anything to can unless anyone has a recipe for chickweeds. We are 6 inches away from getting our yearly rainfall total of 48 inches and my garden showes it. It has been three weeks since it has been dry enough to get in it.

On a side note, is it possible to can anything and not be up till 2 a.m. doing it? It does not matter how early I start it always seems like it is up in the morning till I get finished. But I also have the "I have to get finished tonight" syndrome as my wife calls it.
0 x
Teaching a child to work and manage money will take them futher in life than any education that they could ever receive.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:45 am

I can in small batches. It is easier for me to make 6 to 8 pints or half pints at a time.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:25 pm

chippie wrote:I had a few extra cucumbers and made refrigerator pickles the other day.

REFRIGERATOR PICKLES

1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups white sugar
6 cups sliced cucumbers
1 cup sliced onions

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring vinegar, salt and sugar to a boil. Boil until the sugar has dissolved, about 10 minutes.

Place the cucumbers and onions in a large bowl. Pour the vinegar solution over the vegetables. Transfer into sterile contain and store in the refrigerator.

I used a food processor to slice the cukes and they were sliced very thin. They are good alone or in a salad, and the onion tastes like it is candied. It is tasty.

I use this one--it's quite old, and was written by an old aunt of mine many decades ago. Parenthesis are mine:
an 8 lb lard bucket holds 7 lbs of cut/sliced cucumbers (everyone in 2013 has an 8 lb lard bucket layin around--right?)
7 lbs of cukes.
2 gals of water.
1 cup of pickling lime for every 7 lbs of cut cucumbers.
Cut cucumbers in wheels (that means slice 'em into round slices--not long slices)
Dissolve 1 cup of lime in 2 gals clean water. Place cut cucumbers in large crock, pour lime water over the slices, cover with a towel and let stand 24 hrs. (do not stir--the lime is making the slices crunchy/crisp and stirring will break them into little pieces)
Drain, rinse and let slices stand in clean water for 1 hour.

Pickle syrup:
8 cups sugar.
2 qts white or red vinegar. (no I don't know what %)
1/2 cup of bought or home made pickling spice.
2 tblespoons of salt.

Mix all ingredients in a large pot, on med heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved and a syrup forms.
Add pickles and cook at med rolling boil for 45 minutes-1 hr.
Pack hot into hot sterilized jars, putting as many slices as you can in, covering with syrup, but leaving 1/2" head space.

(Use ladle and canning funnel to do this--this MUST be done while mixture is HOT!
Add lids and rings, tighten rings snugly but not over tight. They should seal when the mixture and jars cool. I have also, put the mixture into jars, and done the hot water bath thing too--10 minutes for pints, but I have seen the original instructions used and pickles kept for 2 years or more.)
These will be sweet but spicy pickles, and crunchy. That is what the lime does--crisps the slices.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks greybeard! I saved the recipe.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:58 pm

I just read on the internet you can can green tomatoes I have a ton that all this rain I think is making them bust when they get near ripe so I am gonna can some green ones has anyone else ever done that?
0 x

Commercialfarmer
GURU
GURU

Postby Commercialfarmer » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:19 am

I haven't canned any, but now you have me thinking about them- fried green tomatoes. I have 2 hours left and now I'm starving. Dang you sky!
0 x
X

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”