Canning

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Canning

Postby TexasBred » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:28 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Dad always called those "Music Roots".

Music Roots ? :???:[/quote]

Sweet potatoes are a very close 2nd place to beans in producing gas..aka "Music".
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:53 pm

TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Dad always called those "Music Roots".

Music Roots ? :???:

Sweet potatoes are a very close 2nd place to beans in producing gas..aka "Music".[/quote]

:lol: I did not know that .. you learn something new everyday.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:32 pm

3waycross wrote:
hillsdown wrote:I am going to try my hand at dill pickles for the first time . :help: Hope to get at it next week .

We will expect some samples!

Boy you sure are brave to request that . :lol:

Picked up 35lbs of pickling cukes today at the market ; fresh picked and young too . Will give this a whirl tomorrow and am going to use my own peppers in them .
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:28 pm

All done , quick pic before covering them all up and hope they all snap . Then can go into the cold room tomorrow .
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:43 pm

They pickles sure look familiar! Paula says to tell you good job!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:52 pm

3waycross wrote:They pickles sure look familiar! Paula says to tell you good job!

She was my inspiration for trying . Know I will not be able to come close to hers but perhaps in a few dozen years , I may get close !

E will let you know in 2 months how I did .
0 x
HD

Louis Sabin}

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Impressive. You were a busy camper.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:50 pm

I wish I wasn't still trying to master not burning toast, I would give some pickles a try and hope they looked half as good as yours! They look delicious.

Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Alan wrote:I wish I wasn't still trying to master not burning toast, I would give some pickles a try and hope they looked half as good as yours! They look delicious.

Alan

Alan your next challenge will be learning how to open a can of biscuits. :mrgreen:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:57 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Alan wrote:I wish I wasn't still trying to master not burning toast, I would give some pickles a try and hope they looked half as good as yours! They look delicious.

Alan

Alan your next challenge will be learning how to open a can of biscuits. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: you know, I smack the can of biscuits on the edge of the counter and it always breaks open ..... Darn, throw that can away and try again. I wish I knew what a biscuit tasted like. :mrgreen:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Those pickles do look good how long did it take for you to get all that done?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:41 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Those pickles do look good how long did it take for you to get all that done?

Not that long 4 hours or so .
0 x
HD

Louis Sabin}

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:11 am

hillsdown wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Those pickles do look good how long did it take for you to get all that done?

Not that long 4 hours or so .

good job!! you all will be eating really well.
0 x

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks everyone !

Now the question is just how soon is too soon to try them . I have one very impatient household . :lol: mainly the husband . ;-)

All but a couple snapped so they went in the fridge to finish up and we will eat them first . I also screwed up a batch of brine so 3 jars have half as much vinegar than what was called for so do not know how crappy those will taste . My nephew called me crying that he wanted to come back to live with us , I had just dropped him off the day before . Broke my heart to hear an 11 year old little boy so unhappy being at home , was hard to concentrate on what I was doing . :frowns: Picked him up last night and so he is back here with us , he is one happy little boy . :D
0 x
HD

Louis Sabin}

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:47 pm

hillsdown wrote:Thanks everyone !

Now the question is just how soon is too soon to try them . I have one very impatient household . :lol: mainly the husband . ;-)

All but a couple snapped so they went in the fridge to finish up and we will eat them first . I also screwed up a batch of brine so 3 jars have half as much vinegar than what was called for so do not know how crappy those will taste . My nephew called me crying that he wanted to come back to live with us , I had just dropped him off the day before . Broke my heart to hear an 11 year old little boy so unhappy being at home , was hard to concentrate on what I was doing . :frowns: Picked him up last night and so he is back here with us , he is one happy little boy . :D

If you should find there is about 15 jars missing ... It was me I wanted to taste them to make sure they are safe for you and your family to enjoy the rest ... :lol2:
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”