Canning

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Re: Canning

Postby hillsdown » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:16 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
hillsdown wrote:Thanks everyone !

Now the question is just how soon is too soon to try them . I have one very impatient household . :lol: mainly the husband . ;-)

All but a couple snapped so they went in the fridge to finish up and we will eat them first . I also screwed up a batch of brine so 3 jars have half as much vinegar than what was called for so do not know how crappy those will taste . My nephew called me crying that he wanted to come back to live with us , I had just dropped him off the day before . Broke my heart to hear an 11 year old little boy so unhappy being at home , was hard to concentrate on what I was doing . :frowns: Picked him up last night and so he is back here with us , he is one happy little boy . :D

If you should find there is about 15 jars missing ... It was me I wanted to taste them to make sure they are safe for you and your family to enjoy the rest ... :lol2:

Ha ha ha !!! :lol2: Let me know if you survive them Sky ; then I will give one a go . :P
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:58 pm

:lol:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:16 pm

sweet taters we have 21 quarts in total

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:26 am

Back at it ... digging a few at a time

0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:27 am

Looks good Sky. Why do you turn them upside down?
Last edited by Jogeephus on Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:53 am

They sure look good... I wouldn't mind living off them.
0 x

BILL CLAYLAND
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BILL CLAYLAND » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Sky,

We just pick our sweet potatoes last night.
We ended up with some monsters this year.
Anyway our canning book says 90 minutes at 10 lb in the pressure cooker,
is that about what you do with yours?

Thanks,
Bill
0 x
"Everyone should believe in something, I believe i'll go fishin"

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:14 pm

BILL CLAYLAND wrote:Sky,

We just pick our sweet potatoes last night.
We ended up with some monsters this year.
Anyway our canning book says 90 minutes at 10 lb in the pressure cooker,
is that about what you do with yours?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,
We just put it in a water bath but do cook them around the 90 min mark in the canning pot. Nice I finished picking mine last weekend when the frost came and killed the vine :lol2: I posted a few under summer garden in the gardening section of the big ones we got here is the last big one I dug

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=97312&p=1287259#p1287259

0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:00 pm

Sky.......why do you turn your jars upside down?

When I can potatoes, I process them the same way BILL CLAYLAND does.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:Sky.......why do you turn your jars upside down?

When I can potatoes, I process them the same way BILL CLAYLAND does.

I honestly am not sure but its supposed to be something with the jar sealing.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:08 pm

If they are turned right side up, and didn't seal, they'll just sit there and you won't know they didn't seal till you open them and die of botulism.
Turn them upside down, and they didn't seal,they leak out all over the place and you know it right away.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:36 pm

You know if a jar is sealed or not by the concavity of the lid. When they are sealed, the concave will be down. Concave up and it's not sealed. Unsealed ones you either freeze, refrigerate, eat, or throw in trash. You can hear the lid when it goes concave down as the jars cool down.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:15 pm

very true GB... GP we had a few lids that were sealed and never sunk in like normal just were flat but sealed those lids aren't what they used to be.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:32 am

You can test the seal by tapping on the top too....a nice clink its sealed, a clunk not...Every time i get something out i've canned, i tick on the tops to see if any have come unsealed. Doing them all at once helps you hear any that have come unsealed too.....click click click clunk click...I do this when i'm processing once they should have all sealed and before i put them up.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:13 pm

ga.prime wrote:You know if a jar is sealed or not by the concavity of the lid. When they are sealed, the concave will be down. Concave up and it's not sealed. Unsealed ones you either freeze, refrigerate, eat, or throw in trash. You can hear the lid when it goes concave down as the jars cool down.

No such thing as 'concave up', opposite of concave is convex.
But yep all the lids should concave as they cool after processing, but that don't mean they will stay sealed over the course of their storage life. I've canned stuff before, every single jar lid pull down with the telltale 'plink' and later in the year find one that has lost it's seal.
cg8, if you can push down on the lid and it has any give to it, it is not sealed.If you ush down on it and it clicks or plinks it is not sealed.

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”