Dill Pickles

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Dill Pickles

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:59 pm

Garden is in and have had cucumbers coming out my ears. For some time now I've been working toward making the perfect pickle. One not too salty, crisp and not shriveled or mushy. I think I may have finally found the perfect pickle recipe and if its not - its pretty close but would love to hear any ideas on how to improve this recipe.

2-3 gallons of small pickling cucumbers about 3-4 inches long
Wash them good and cut off about 1/16 - 3/16" of an inch from the flower end of the cucumber (the yellow or off green area) since this has enzymes in it that will make the cucumbers mushy when pickled.

6 cups of white vinegar
6 cups of water
12 TBS of Kosher Salt (you can use canning salt but you need to reduce the amount since canning salt is finer grained than kosher and will weigh more by volume)
Some fresh grape or muscadine leaves. These have tannin in them and will aid in the prevention of a mushy pickle.
Fresh Dill
Garlic
Mustard Seed
Ball Pickle Crisp Granules (Calcium Chloride) Further aid to insure a crisp pickle.
Sterilize your jars pouring the boiling water down the drain when you remove the jars from the pot.

To hot quart jars add a large sprig of dill, 2 cloves of garlic, a muscadine leaf, 1 tsp of mustard seed
Pack in as many cucumbers as you can for the first layer. Once you've filled this up, add another sprig of dill and finish filling the jar with cucumbers. Add a 1/4 tsp of Pickle crisp to the jar and then ladle boiling brine over the top of the cucumbers leaving a 1/2 inch of head space.

Repeat for the other jars then place in the water bath. If you've emptied the jars in the sink the amount of water in the canner will be perfect and you won't need to remove any. Process for 15 minutes beginning the time at the point where the water begins to boil.

So far these have been a real hit around the house and we are going through them like candy. So crisp its hard to hear someone talk when you are chewing on them.

Note: When you first make them they will look a bit shriveled but don't worry. Give them a little time or place a jar in the fridge and they fill out nicely.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Dill Pickles

Postby dun » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:07 pm

I ahve never found a regular dill pickle that I liked. But a couple of years ago Peter Piper Pickle Company had a polish dill pickle that was great. I don;t know what made them polish but they sure were good.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:32 pm

Add a chili pequin or two to each jar and you will have perfection!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks Jo. We're going to try it. Thus far we haven't been able to duplicate the "crunchy" that we want, except with what my wife calls "refrigerator pickles". She makes those by the gallon, to include chunks of sweet onion, garlic, and various peppers. It's a hot/sweet mix. As the name implies, they must be refrigerated and so we only enjoy those during the season.
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:58 pm

So you like them hot? Made some hot ones last year using some Korean peppers similar to the pequin. I think I added more than you suggested and the pickles ended up being blazing hot. I'll tweak this recipe some for flavor but mostly wanted to get the bite and saltiness right first.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:28 pm

They sound good Jo.
I have a friend that buys store pickles and adds sugar and tasbaco sauce to them then puts them back in the fridge. Makes them when we are having shop cooks. It's pretty good but gets a little hot for me but that tobacco sure adds to the taste.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:34 pm

I process a lot of pickles every year and it is hard to get the perfect dill pickle. My sister bought me a jar of brine from a place in Dallas, http://www.pickleliciouspickles.com/ . It was expensive, 10 bucks, but you can make several quarts of refrigerated dills out of it or i suppose you could can them. I wished i could figure out what they put in this but it makes the best pickle i've ever eaten. Not real tart, or vinegary, with just the right amount of spiciness. The pickles keep their crunch when you refrigerate cure them. I can eat a whole jar all by myself. I only refrigerate my dills and i can my bread and butter. Made a bunch yesterday and i'm afraid to go look at my plants because i know they are full of ready to process cucumbers...working on tomatoes today...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Yeah, with cucumbers and tomatoes its feast or famine.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Betcha I could put a dent in your inventory. They sound delicious!
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:06 pm

I'm not a fan of dill pickles, but I really would love to start canning .......
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:12 pm

Thought I shared my Hot Dill Pickle Recipe with you Jo. Like it really hot add more slices of habanero pepper. Opened a jar that is 2 years old and they are still good!
Need to make more this fall.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:51 pm

I still have a bunch but they are too hot for the girls. I'll eat them but just too hot for them.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:55 pm

Finally finished canning tomatos, and I am SOOO glad. I was sick of looking at those things.
And never again will I plant that many cherry tomato plants.

I'll have to try that recipe next year Jogeephus. I made some dill pickles year before last and they were so mushy I threw out about 2 dozen jars last month.
I can make crunchy/crisp sweet pickles fine, just never was able to make the dills come out right.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:19 am

GB, this is pretty close to the store bought Gherkins my daughter likes so much. So far they have kept their crisp very well. From what I've read the tip of the cucumber has enzymes that will make them mushy so its important to cut the flower tip off. I also read where the Italians would add grape leaves to prevent them from going mushy so I added a leaf to each jar for the tannin and for further assurance I added the calcium chloride. I don't know how long they will keep their crisp but at the moment you can't hear someone talking to you when you are eating one and they don't seem to be lasting long on the shelf.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:29 am

I am tomato h e l l right now. Jogeephus I made your salsa. It is da bomb!
Cucumbers are following a close second. I made a dill relish that is easy and delicious. I have to admit that I forgot to rinse the brine out of it before I canned it. It tastes a bit salty straight off of the spoon, but when it is on a burger, hot dog or sausage it is delicious. You don't taste the saltiness.

I have an old pickle recipe that uses grape leaves as an ingredient. I'll see if I can dig it up. I enjoy the refrigerator pickles too. The recipe that I have is sweet and has onions in it. The onions are very good on a sandwich.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”