Dill Pickles

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Dill Pickles

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Glad you liked the salsa Chippie, its pretty good isn't it? Making some more tonight. I hope to make enough to do us a year. Its such an easy crutch for a quick supper dish it just doesn't last long enough.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:46 am

Anyone try using a vacuum chamber to pickle some cukes?
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:30 am

No, I had to look it up since I hadn't even heard of the process.
From what I found it's a really fast way to pickles, but that they may lose some crunch.
Have you tried it yet?
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:33 am

I've got a handful I'm trying right now.
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:35 am

Would like to hear about your results.
Though I don't have a chamber vacuum, it sounds interesting.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:30 pm

Opened the bag today and I was suprised. Tried a medium sized one and i would say it was about halfway pickled. Vacuumed the bag down again and I'll check it in a few more days. Not bad for a quick pickle I guess.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:25 pm

Are you sure that is safe?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:40 pm

As long they are refrigerated you should be pretty safe with anything you do with dills , salt and vinegar .. :?:

Btw we opened up a batch of the last pickles I made and everyone asked me what spices I put in them as they were they were delicious spicy crunchy yet different from normal dills. Maybe I should write things down next time . :dunce: Nope next time they won't turn out at all .. :oops:
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:15 pm

hillsdown wrote:As long they are refrigerated you should be pretty safe with anything you do with dills , salt and vinegar ..

Depending on the brine strength but in many cases this will do nothing for e-coli since e-coli evolved in the acid environment of the gut. I'm very careful with the cryovac. Wonderful tool but its not for everything and the food police are very anal about what I can use mine for. Canning has time proven procedures you do for reasons, omitting any of these procedures can make the difference between simply getting sick or dying. I think if you took the bagged pickle and placed it in a water bath it would be fine but relying solely on the temperature barrier seems risky to me because the bag would be very much like a gut. I wouldn't do it until I got some clarification from a university or some reliable source.
0 x

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:42 pm

I don't see how they can go bad in 3 days in the fridge?
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:47 pm

I don't see any more risk in doing that and having pickles in brine for three days. So what's the point of putting them in the bag then?
0 x

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
hillsdown wrote:As long they are refrigerated you should be pretty safe with anything you do with dills , salt and vinegar .. :?:

Depending on the brine strength but in many cases this will do nothing for e-coli since e-coli evolved in the acid environment of the gut. I'm very careful with the cryovac. Wonderful tool but its not for everything and the food police are very anal about what I can use mine for. Canning has time proven procedures you do for reasons, omitting any of these procedures can make the difference between simply getting sick or dying. I think if you took the bagged pickle and placed it in a water bath it would be fine but relying solely on the temperature barrier seems risky to me because the bag would be very much like a gut. I wouldn't do it until I got some clarification from a university or some reliable source.

Thus the question mark .
I water bath anything that I can . I am a big chicken when it comes to testing food safety .
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Supposedly opens the cucumbers cells up to be more receptive to the brine. Sort of like they claim you can marinate meat quicker. I just opened the bag again and tried a small piece again on the end I didn't cut. It's close to pickle taste but still a little like a cuke. Yesterday was half pickled (tasting anyway) today 3/4. I'd bet they could pass as a pickle if they were quartered.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:15 pm

Me too. I try to be a practical person and throw off a lot of hair splitting nonsense and agree the odds of getting e-coli on your cukes would be rare. But it is possible. I think it only takes 100 spores to make you sick but if your refrigerator is set improperly like most people's it only takes 17 minutes for the ecoli to double so your growth is exponential and in just a few hours you could have a nasty cocktail. What I gather is when you seal stuff up air tight this prevents some things from growing but many of the baddies like these anaerobic conditions. Things I can't see that will hurt me like sharks and electricity scare me and makes me more cautious. Vacuum sealing stuff is one of these things you need to be extra careful with.

I was always under the impression foods like sauerkraut and pickles were safe but I was wrong. In 2012 seven people died from e-coli in sauerkraut and over a hundred got really sick. Heating it fixes all that. When you can in jars a vacuum is formed so I really don't see the need in removing this barrier when I can't see much to gain.

I do think placing the bags in a hot water bath would work though. I've seen those in stores and they are shelf stable so there is a proven process out there somewhere for doing this.
0 x

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:29 pm

I can agree with all that. I just read about a quick pickle in a vacuum and was curious. I don't plan on it being a regular form of preservation.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”