Something For Georgia Prime

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Something For Georgia Prime

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:43 am

My children like Humus and I had a pile of various cowpeas and thought I'd try making humus from our peas rather than chickpeas. Sounded reasonable. Turned out great and it might be something you might like to try.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Re: Something For Georgia Prime

Postby Ouachita » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:58 am

Looks like shyt, but I'm certain it taste heavely :lol: Heavenly ;-)
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:56 pm

:lol: :lol: Does look rather pasty in a scourly sort of way doesn't it? Pretty good though. We had this last night with cold beverages and crackers. Its just too hot to eat. 118F is our heat index today. Its brutal.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Brilliant idea, Jo! That stuff has unlimited versatility. Put it on a biscuit with a slice of tomato. Use it as a dip for cracklin cornbread. Heat a piece of pita bread up on a skillet, put the humus on like mayonnaise and top with fried eggplant. Use it instead of cheese on nachos. The possibilities are endless. This could start a culinary revolution. Crumble up bacon in it and eat for breakfast instead of oatmeal. Great work, man! :D
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:23 pm

I thought you might like it. Its very good. I figured a pea was a pea so why not give it a go. I just boiled the peas till done. Chilled with water then ground them in food processor and used a regular humus recipe. I sortof thought I'd get some color with it but didn't. Just looked the same as chick peas only maybe not as creamy. Am going to try black eyed peas next.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:44 am

Black eyed peas ought to work, they taste better than chickpeas to begin with.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Post Oak » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 am

I'm gonna have to pick your brain for a recipe next month when my White Acres are ready.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Nothing to it really. I just used a recipe from the net but rather than using chick peas I used cooked cowpeas. I just figured a pea was a pea and wanted to make use with what I had. It turned out good.
0 x

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Post Oak » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:44 pm

I am eating hummus right now on the beach at Tybee Island.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:54 pm

Nice place to eat it. Your peas will make it better than the store bought I'm sure.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:30 pm

ga.prime wrote:Black eyed peas ought to work, they taste better than chickpeas to begin with.

I use white soup beans. Real good.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Good idea. The dollar store here had them in bulk for sale last week. May need to pick some up.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”