Breaded Tomatoes

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Breaded Tomatoes

Postby MO_cows » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:20 pm

I haven't had them in years but remember them fondly. But I can't make them like I remember. Tonight I tried some with frozen diced tomatoes which had a lot of the juice and seeds squeezed out of them before freezing. For the bread, I used a day old baguette which was very dry and should have sopped up juice like no tomorrow. But they are still too runny. The taste is good, but not the texture. Help!
0 x
It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with the simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
Laura Ingalls Wilder

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Breaded Tomatoes

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:23 pm

We fry them green but cant help if you are talking about ripe ones. Bet that would be good though.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:24 pm

Fried green tomatoes is near and dear to my heart get that meal out blk pepper some sugar coat them and fry them ... OH MY...
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:10 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Fried green tomatoes is near and dear to my heart get that meal out blk pepper some sugar coat them and fry them ... OH MY...

would you mind punctuating that sentence so it makes some sense please, and quit yer freakin drooling.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Postby MO_cows » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:26 pm

Not breaded as in drench and dredge. Breaded tomatoes are sort of stewed tomatoes with cubes of bread in them. It seems to be more common in the south. But yep, fried green tomatoes are a coming with the first frost warning.
0 x
It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with the simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
Laura Ingalls Wilder

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:32 pm

MO_cows wrote:Not breaded as in drench and dredge. Breaded tomatoes are sort of stewed tomatoes with cubes of bread in them. It seems to be more common in the south. But yep, fried green tomatoes are a coming with the first frost warning.

Sorry, never seen that here. Must not be far enough south.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

trappersteve
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby trappersteve » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:22 am

Kenny we must not get outta these mountains enough, ive Never heard of that either
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:01 am

MO_cows wrote:Not breaded as in drench and dredge. Breaded tomatoes are sort of stewed tomatoes with cubes of bread in them. It seems to be more common in the south. But yep, fried green tomatoes are a coming with the first frost warning.

I am as much a son of the south as there is with some mammies that could cook. Never heard of it.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:01 am

Never heard of it either. Only breaded tomatoes I've ever eaten was some big ripe one's sliced and brought to room temp then put between two pieces of Sunbeam bread with Hellman's mayo and plenty of salt and pepper. I just don't think you can improve on that.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:03 am

3waycross wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Fried green tomatoes is near and dear to my heart get that meal out blk pepper some sugar coat them and fry them ... OH MY...

would you mind punctuating that sentence so it makes some sense please, and quit yer freakin drooling.

Sorry temporary insanity took over ;-)

kenny thomas wrote:

Sorry, never seen that here. Must not be far enough south.

Same here never heard of that.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:06 am

I found it online though looks good especially if smothered in mozzarella

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2011/10/ol ... z3AwA9hFoR
0 x

MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Postby MO_cows » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:31 pm

Geez I guess my upbringing was a little more "backwoods" than I thought. One of my grandmothers always made it during tomato season and I had it at other places too. The recipe Sky posted was the one I worked from, minus the cheese and the baking because it's too durn hot to run the oven. Maybe frozen tomatoes were the problem, or maybe baking dries it up some more? I'll have to try again with fresh tomatoes......
0 x
Laura Ingalls Wilder

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Never heard of it either. Only breaded tomatoes I've ever eaten was some big ripe one's sliced and brought to room temp then put between two pieces of Sunbeam bread with Hellman's mayo and plenty of salt and pepper. I just don't think you can improve on that.

Now, THAT, I heard of...
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:08 pm

I did some snooping through my southern cook books and found a few that were referenced to what you are talking about . I also googled it and this is what I found that sounded as close to what I think you are looking for .

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2011/10/ol ... z3Ayq63Jhc

Sorry ,haven't tried them before but they do sound interesting and tasty too . :tiphat:
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:11 pm

I've never like tomatoes. It's a pitty to, cause they look so good. My mamaw made it with day old biscuits. I also remember dirty old bacon grease being a component, as well as butter. The old folks always had it at breakfast.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”