Smokers

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Smokers

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Hook wrote:It depends on your temps. With a 225 smoke temp its one large bag every 8 hrs.

Not sure what the temp was but I do know the needle was pegged in the HOT section and not in the ideal :lol:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:10 pm

This was the first time I used it back in may

[youtube]ke-0Tfzw5Sw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:31 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:this is the one i like

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-L ... MgodEjcAfA

I wish I could have bought that one but wife would have not been happy with the pricetag so I bought this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-A ... /203736346 to replace the one I bought years ago that was falling apart: http://www.brinkmann.net/outdoor_cookin ... 852-7080-E

Offset smoker is a lot better and holds more meat than the upright "bullet style" smokers. One think I noticed with my model is trying to get the heat just right and I am sure that is because of the cheaper steel used but also what the conditions are that day and how the air is flowing through it may require turning it to the right angle so the breeze helps the air flow. Bought a cover for it so hope it will help protect it so it lasts many years.

Would love to get into a discussion on smoking with you guys. What kind of wood do you prefer to use, what cuts of meats do you do the most and your methods of prep work and smoking to get the flavors you want. I do mostly pork butts and have gotten really good over the years of enhancing the flavor I am able to get. Beer can chicken is another one I really like doing. Tried my first brisket this summer, wasn't pleased with how it turned out but my dad thought it was delicious so must not have done too bad. When wanting to smoke something simple and in less time I usually do hind quarters and boneless/skinless chicken breasts or baby back ribs. Can still get some good smoke flavor while doing more of an "offset grilling" to cook it a little faster than slow smoking it.

Will let you guys add to the discussion and will chime in some once I see where the conversation goes. I could go into more details on how I like to smoke things but could get to be a pretty long post if I get too deep into it.
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:59 pm

I have a butt in brining right now. I will put it on the kamado smoker in the morning about 6am and cook it at around 230deg for about 12 hrs. I just got the new grill last week and have cooked on it 3 times already on one pile of lump charcoal. I use pecan to smoke with because it's free.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 101 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:27 pm

SPH, I also love to smoke when I can find the time, don't feel like to turns out like I think it should, but folks sure eat it, I do think that when your preparing the meat then the hours it takes to smoke it one's taste buds maybe get's too much smoke and one can't get a good taste of your own cooks?? I have a Weber Kettle, Electric Mastercraft, a big Pig Cooker made by BQ Grills out of North Carolina ,wore out several other cookers like the ones you guys are looking at here, but my family likes the food I smoke off our plain Gas BBG that you can buy at any box store the best. My next purchase will be a Weber Gas grill, it will last forever if taken care and you can control the heat better with it than the lighter grills. Our big pig cooker works the same way, can do a whole pig if you want or about 230# to 250# of butts or beef roasts, cook them for 11 hrs, on this and you can cut them with a fork. Like I said I am still learning but found a site called (The Smoke Ring ) that has a lot of information if one wants to visit with folks the love to smoke, most of these guys like to just use just wood but still a lot of information there. Good luck 101
0 x

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:15 pm

You can smoke meat on about anything if you do it right. Don't have the book in front of me at the moment to get the exact quote but Myron Mixon even mentions in his "Smokin'" box when the question is asked if you can use a regular kettle charcoal grill to smoke his answer is "be nice yes!" I did some chicken breasts and leg quarters on my Weber Kettle last week, just did some offset heat with the charcoal and used some tin foil pans to keep the juices in till I finished off on direct heat and it tasted just as good as something I'd put on low and slow indirect heat on my offset smoker. Really you only need to get the smoke flavor in on the first part of the cooking process. Once that meat starts to cook through it doesn't take in much smoke so if you are doing low and slow the first couple hours are the prime smoke hours, anything you over-do on the back half of the process could give you too much smoke flavor. Just like when I do it on my kettle grill, I just throw a few chunks on top of the coals when I start and that's it. By the time it burns off the meat is already cooked enough it's not going to add to the smoke flavor any more.

Weather is taking a dip in temperature here overnight so not going to be many ideal days for awhile to smoke with Winter around the corner. I can if I really feel like it, just takes more effort to keep the fire hot enough the cooler it gets.
0 x

Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 101 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:44 am

Yes I agree SPH, my first smoker was a upright I built out of heavy lumber, had a door off an old oven, and used charcoal for heat in a pan for heat, smoked a lot of hams and salami in those days. Good luck 101
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:52 pm

I saw the one Sky posted originally--at Tractor Supply--$199 I believe it was and they didn't sell many at all. It is very cheaply built, and thin.
My sister has the one from Lowes, and it's "ok". She's used it for both smoking and grilling maybe 4 times and the paint is starting to burn off under the firebox-she keeps it under the carport or in the garage when not in use.
A good smoker should last you a lifetime Sky-----divide the cost of a good, heavy, well built smoker by the number of years you reasonably expect to live and use it, and that is what it's value really is.
As far as your skillset--you CAN do this--it's not rocket science or difficult at all. Buy the pipe from a junk yard, then pay some hungry welder to cut and weld it up for ya--you'll end up with a good one and not pay much more than what the Lowes unit is.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”