Sunflowers

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Sunflowers

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:29 am

We cut a couple heads off the kids sunflowers before the birds had a buffet. These things are a PITA.

picked those evil seeds off

they soaked in salt water overnight

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Sunflowers

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:30 am

roasted 45 mins on 350 ready to eat. Hope this helps if someone wants to start raising them.

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:32 am

I've got a Kroger store down the street that sells them by the bag.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:37 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I've got a Kroger store down the street that sells them by the bag.

oh yea well I got a Kroger, food kitty and walmart that sells them top that :lol2: I told kids it was fun growing them but can't we just buy them next time lol They agreed and decided they want to grow cantaloupes next year. I said yes please lets do those.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:55 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I've got a Kroger store down the street that sells them by the bag.

oh yea well I got a Kroger, food kitty and walmart that sells them top that :lol2: I told kids it was fun growing them but can't we just buy them next time lol They agreed and decided they want to grow cantaloupes next year. I said yes please lets do those.

My Kroger sells those too.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:45 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

My Kroger sells those too.

You win... :lol2: :tiphat:
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:48 am

oh yea well I got a Kroger, food kitty and walmart that sells them top that :lol2: I told kids it was fun growing them but can't we just buy them next time lol They agreed and decided they want to grow cantaloupes next year. I said yes please lets do those.[/quote]

My Kroger sells those too.[/quote]

You win... :lol2: :tiphat:[/quote]

Nah, I just don't like Sunflower seeds and cantaloupes.

Tell me about your tomatoes and it's GAME ON!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:02 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:oh yea well I got a Kroger, food kitty and walmart that sells them top that :lol2: I told kids it was fun growing them but can't we just buy them next time lol They agreed and decided they want to grow cantaloupes next year. I said yes please lets do those.

My Kroger sells those too.[/quote]

You win... :lol2: :tiphat:[/quote]

Nah, I just don't like Sunflower seeds and cantaloupes.

Tell me about your tomatoes and it's GAME ON![/quote]

We had quite a few of those this year I just finally got to where the end rot stopped by using the liquid calcium and next year I may put that calcium lime on them. I am still getting yellow maters. I didn't cut them down this week.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:35 pm

We used to stash themin the attic till they dried then the seed just brushed right off of the heads.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:36 pm

I used to grow my own for Tim our Cockatoo . I just laid them in the sun with a cheese cloth over them and the birds left them alone . They came out quite easily when they dried .
I love the sunflower itself they are beautiful ,not a big fan of the seeds anymore but ate tons of bags as a kid when we would go camping . I like pumpkin seed once and a while now .
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:31 pm

I planted sixty acres once for dove hunting. Learned deer like them. Never saw the first flower. Can't remember one ever getting above knee high.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:03 pm

those got to about 9 foot tall its crazy.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:04 pm

dun wrote:We used to stash themin the attic till they dried then the seed just brushed right off of the heads.

Now you tell me lol
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:13 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
dun wrote:We used to stash themin the attic till they dried then the seed just brushed right off of the heads.

Now you tell me lol

Shoulda asked
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:41 am

dun wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Now you tell me lol

Shoulda asked

:lol2: :tiphat:
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”