Bread Fail

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Bread Fail

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:11 pm

Well kids start back to school tomorrow and its too hot to do anything outside so since my kids eat bread like I drink milk I decided to try to make some bread. Well this is the recipe I used. I would really like a good one from yall real chefs.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/basic-homemade-bread
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).

However I added about 12 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of vanilla flavoring to it on my own.

Well I used some yeast that's been in the cabinet maybe 3 months and the dough did not rise. I said what the heck so I cooked it anyway. It was super dense and halfway cooked after an hour and the crust was hard as heck. The middle had a good flavor though.
Here is a pic of this horrible bread I made :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I will stick to smoking meats and making BBQ

Image

Image

Image
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
hillsdown
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9928
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:25 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Bread Fail

Postby hillsdown » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Can't help you there , I am a one hit wonder when it comes to bread and buns. One time it will turn out great the next time flop and be inedible .

I personally think the air pressure is relative to how a loaf will rise or not , so did my grandma . She just was creative enough and a master baker that she could adjust her recipe accordingly so it never flops . That will always be out of my reach to accomplish . :dunce:


Your bread looks OK Sky , maybe a little heavy , but it might make some really good bread or rice pudding. :tiphat:
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Bread Fail

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:28 pm

HD thanks you have a great imagination bread pudding yummy I may try that lol Here is a pic of what it looked like on the inside

Image
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4310
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: Bread Fail

Postby ga.prime » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:05 pm

That's like Ellie Mae Clampett bread.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8003
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Bread Fail

Postby 1982vett » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Old yeast or you killed it. The extra sugar should have made it flow out the bowl in no time.... Water temp when you add the yeast is important as well as the temp during proofing. My wife has a recipe for Amish white bread that she has good luck with. Not so great for sandwiches but makes great French toast and cinnamon bread. Will see if I can get it from her
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Bread Fail

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:00 pm

ga.prime wrote:That's like Ellie Mae Clampett bread.


:lol2:

1982vett wrote:Old yeast or you killed it. The extra sugar should have made it flow out the bowl in no time.... Water temp when you add the yeast is important as well as the temp during proofing. My wife has a recipe for Amish white bread that she has good luck with. Not so great for sandwiches but makes great French toast and cinnamon bread. Will see if I can get it from her


lol I got water hot to point it would boil soon then dumped the yeast in it maybe it was too hot. I guess I should have used the thermometer.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8003
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Bread Fail

Postby 1982vett » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:11 pm

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amish-white-bread/. Wife says this is the recipe she uses.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Bread Fail

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:35 pm

1982vett wrote:http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amish-white-bread/. Wife says this is the recipe she uses.


Thanks 1982 I will try it wife says she wants a bread maker and has for some time her birthday is in 6 days lol should I ?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11116
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Bread Fail

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:52 pm

4 cups of bisquick, keep adding beer, and stirring till it gets to the consistency you want. Put a little sugar in it of course. Then bake. It's too simple to screw up.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2294
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Contact:

Re: Bread Fail

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:13 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
1982vett wrote:http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amish-white-bread/. Wife says this is the recipe she uses.


Thanks 1982 I will try it wife says she wants a bread maker and has for some time her birthday is in 6 days lol should I ?


I have a bread maker, got when we got married over 13 years ago. We still make bread in it weekly, LOVE IT! You can make just dough too and rise it yourself to make yummy bread. There are lots of recipes out there on the Internet for bread machines.

Here is a really good, easy recipe that never fails! Just three ingredients:

3 cups SELF RISING flour
6 tablespoons sugar (you can reduce this, but this is the recipe we use and LOVE)
1 beer (we use Corona around here, but any beer will work).

Mix well, pour in a buttered (sprayed if you like it that way) bread pan. Cook at 350 for about an hour. We also like to take a few slabs of butter and put it on the top, makes a nice crispy top! Yummy and easy.... My kids have won tons of first place awards in 4-H baking this bread. Of course, we call it "yeast bread" and not beer bread... :lol:
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Bread Fail

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Bigfoot wrote:4 cups of bisquick, keep adding beer, and stirring till it gets to the consistency you want. Put a little sugar in it of course. Then bake. It's too simple to screw up.


Thanks yea I don't even think I could mess that up lol

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
1982vett wrote:http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amish-white-bread/. Wife says this is the recipe she uses.


Thanks 1982 I will try it wife says she wants a bread maker and has for some time her birthday is in 6 days lol should I ?


I have a bread maker, got when we got married over 13 years ago. We still make bread in it weekly, LOVE IT! You can make just dough too and rise it yourself to make yummy bread. There are lots of recipes out there on the Internet for bread machines.

Here is a really good, easy recipe that never fails! Just three ingredients:

3 cups SELF RISING flour
6 tablespoons sugar (you can reduce this, but this is the recipe we use and LOVE)
1 beer (we use Corona around here, but any beer will work).

Mix well, pour in a buttered (sprayed if you like it that way) bread pan. Cook at 350 for about an hour. We also like to take a few slabs of butter and put it on the top, makes a nice crispy top! Yummy and easy.... My kids have won tons of first place awards in 4-H baking this bread. Of course, we call it "yeast bread" and not beer bread... :lol:


Thanks FSR that is great to know I will get one for her not her birthday probably for Christmas or something. That does sound good.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
regolith
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2716
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Bread Fail

Postby regolith » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:26 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Well kids start back to school tomorrow and its too hot to do anything outside so since my kids eat bread like I drink milk I decided to try to make some bread. Well this is the recipe I used. I would really like a good one from yall real chefs.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/basic-homemade-bread
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).

However I added about 12 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of vanilla flavoring to it on my own.

Well I used some yeast that's been in the cabinet maybe 3 months and the dough did not rise. I said what the heck so I cooked it anyway. It was super dense and halfway cooked after an hour and the crust was hard as heck. The middle had a good flavor though.
Here is a pic of this horrible bread I made :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I will stick to smoking meats and making BBQ

Image

Image

Image


Should be way easier than that recipe. This is what I did yesterday, since the freezer was out of store-bought bread:
1 lb plain flour, pinch salt, one sachet dried yeast. Used dough hook in food processor, added warm water while it was mixing till it formed a dough, let the mixer beat it up for half a minute, sit for twenty, beat it up again and press into 1lb loaf tin, let it rise for twenty minutes again then bake moderate oven, might have been thirty - forty minutes.
Texture is fine which I put down to beginner's luck since it's been a while. Completely tasteless... it was organic flour, guess if I want taste should use wholewheat or add sugar?
Now I've made some bad loaves before but never had one that looked like yours when cut - that looks like it hasn't been cooked yet.
Dried yeast should be kept in fridge. Mine is way out of date, but it's still good. One sachet does about 2lb flour.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Bread Fail

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:48 am

Thanks Regolith... I kept it in the cabinets I didnt know it needed to be in the fridge. Next time I will stick a whole ounce in the bread dough and see what happens lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
MO_cows
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2501
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:36 pm
Location: outside Kansas City MO

Re: Bread Fail

Postby MO_cows » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:25 pm

Lucy tried that and it didn't work out so well!

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkini ... ucy_fo.php


Sounds like if your water was almost boiling, you killed the yeast. Think, baby's bottle warm, not too hot if you test it on your wrist.
0 x
It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with the simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
Laura Ingalls Wilder

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Bread Fail

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:19 pm

MO_cows wrote:Lucy tried that and it didn't work out so well!

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkini ... ucy_fo.php


Sounds like if your water was almost boiling, you killed the yeast. Think, baby's bottle warm, not too hot if you test it on your wrist.


Makes sence I need to see what temp the water heater is on.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.


Return to “Recipes and Cooking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest