Cooking your goose

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Cooking your goose

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Well, we have a flock of about 50 Canada geese in our fields grazing oats and barley every morning and evening, and since the season on them opens in a couple days and we've never had Canada goose before, I gotta ask what the best way to cook them is. I imagine there's a difference in taste from the truly wild ones and the ones that graze pastures, and then domestic geese. We love domestic goose, and usually bake it like a turkey. Do the wild ones need to be marinated first? Are they any good eating at all? How about soup? And what's the best way to pluck them! (We just aren't that handy with that sort of stuff)
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Cooking your goose

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:39 pm

Am no expert because I've only killed four in my life. IMO, plucking is out of the question. Just cut a slit down the breast bone and pull the skin back and cut the breast meat out.

I've heard different reviews on goose. Many told me it was not good but I like dark meat and found it very good. I recently cooked some and I was concerned about it being dry so I wrapped it in bacon then wrapped it with a pork loin. Turned out very good. I also took some and marinated in a corn starch teriyaki sauce and an fried in a little olive oil and that was good.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:31 pm

A litle dish soap in the scald water and plucking waterfowl is no big deal. I don;t remember the temp and time but we used to cut up a couple of different kinds of apples and stuff them in the cavity then bake them. Set them on a rack in the pan so the grease doesn;t permeate the back. After you eat your fill just cook them like an old chicken and make goose and dumplings with the leftovers. Also works with wild turkeys except we use an oven bag and no rack in the pan.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:59 pm

Take a Cedar plank and soak it in cheap whiskey for a week. Lay the goose on the plank and light it on fire. When the fire burns out throw the Goose away and eat what's left of the board. Ketchup optional!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:17 pm

I'd breast em out like Jo said and cook em in a "bag". If you shoot a bunch of em and have a block of wax use it to pull the feathers and cook the whole bird in a bag.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:31 pm

Nesi ,I have never had wild geese before but do love farm raised geese .

Having heard a few not so great things about their taste ,I would go with Jo's or 3way's recipes . ;-)

Let us know how it went . :tiphat:
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:09 pm

With the wide range of opinions on taste it must really have a lot to do with what they eat. Mine were grass-fed and was surprisingly good.

I used to do ducks by stuffing them with mandarin oranges. That was really good.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:41 pm

I've not eaten any kind of goose, but I did shoot (and kill) 2 wild ones one time and gave them to a local contractor who loves to eat them. He said he would roast them like you would a turkey.

As for plucking, what dun said is what I have done when plucking ducks. Made for easy plucking.

One of my brothers has a Raspberry Duck recipe that is out of this world!
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:45 am

we often have duck, usually with oranges marinated in white wine, as well as oranges in the stuffing.. VERY good.

So with scalding them, I'm going to go out on a limb here, you have a BIG pot with boiling water, some dish soap in it, dunk the goose in it, and then it's easy plucking?

How does the block of wax work? we bought 2 45 barrels of wax YEARS ago, so we've got lots of that.

these geese have been grass fed (with some grain) for a month, they shouldn't be too gamey flavored.. If I get a bunch of them, I guess the first one is going in the oven like we did with domestic goose, and we'll see how we like it, if we don't, we can always make soup, and I doubt you'd notice the gamey flavor too much there
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:50 am

Nesikep wrote:So with scalding them, I'm going to go out on a limb here, you have a BIG pot with boiling water, some dish soap in it, dunk the goose in it, and then it's easy plucking?

How does the block of wax work? we bought 2 45 barrels of wax YEARS ago, so we've got lots of that.

Correct about scalding them. I've never tried the parrafin method. I always have to look it up but there is a pretty specific temp for scalding. Too hot or not hot enough and it doesn;t work. Actaully too hot it messes up the skin so when you pluck it the skin tears off with the feathers. I cheat and look it up on the internet to get the temp right. I have a big candy thermometer about a foot long that floats that I use for checking the temp. I also have multiple pots of water heating so when one gets to cool I can use the other to finish scalding/plucking
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:48 am

Nesi I have some canadian goose in the freezer and wondered what the heck to do with them for a while . Thanks for making this post I was just going to smoke them or cut the breast up and fry them. I plucked the whole thing lol it was a PITA I thought that was what you were supposed to do. I think skewers breast chunks wrapped in bacon and grilled sounds good to me.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:57 am

If you want to make some from a goose or duck make sure you cut off the pope nose first.
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:29 am

these geese have been grass fed (with some grain) for a month, they shouldn't be too gamey flavored.. If I get a bunch of them, I guess the first one is going in the oven like we did with domestic goose, and we'll see how we like it, if we don't, we can always make soup, and I doubt you'd notice the gamey flavor too much there[/quote]

Ha ha. What do you have the wax for??
Take a pot. Melt the wax. Dip the goose in it and remove. Once the wax hardens just pull it off and viola! That's how they do em at the duck camp in La. Slick &quick.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:01 am

OK, so I went to the local sporting goods store, MISERABLE 12ga selection... slugs, 00, or #4 (for 2 3/4")... got a small case of the #4 (30 pellets, steel)... I know it will depend on the choke, but how close am I going to need to be to get a kill shot.. Lets say I have a full choke, what sort of spread should I expect?

Only time I ever used shotguns was shooting clays.. about 10 rounds, hit 8 out of 10.. birds are another story though
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:26 am

Nesikep wrote:OK, so I went to the local sporting goods store, MISERABLE 12ga selection... slugs, 00, or #4 (for 2 3/4")... got a small case of the #4 (30 pellets, steel)... I know it will depend on the choke, but how close am I going to need to be to get a kill shot.. Lets say I have a full choke, what sort of spread should I expect?

Only time I ever used shotguns was shooting clays.. about 10 rounds, hit 8 out of 10.. birds are another story though

If you shoot steel through a full choke you will wreck your shotgun. For steel the maximum choke is Modified. That is equal to full choke with lead. Read the box it should say that on the box. If it is a semi auto it will be really hard on it. If it is a pump it can and will eventually take the barrel off from the pressure/. If it is a dbl, an o/u or a single shot well; it's been nice knowin ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”