2nd attempt at bread

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Re: 2nd attempt at bread

Postby I luv herfrds » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:10 pm

Looks great! It just takes time getting the hang of it. My favorite recipe is in Enclopedia of Country Living. Lots of bread making info in there.
My favorite was fresh bread with butter on top with home made apple sauce on top!
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:31 pm

I luv herfrds wrote:Looks great! It just takes time getting the hang of it. My favorite recipe is in Enclopedia of Country Living. Lots of bread making info in there.
My favorite was fresh bread with butter on top with home made apple sauce on top!

ILH's I tell ya that's what im gonna eat next time you got my mouth set on that.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:19 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
I luv herfrds wrote:Looks great! It just takes time getting the hang of it. My favorite recipe is in Enclopedia of Country Living. Lots of bread making info in there.

ILH's I tell ya that's what im gonna eat next time you got my mouth set on that.

Give up man....buy a can of biscuits. :lol: :lol: :hide:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:20 pm

TexasBred wrote:Give up man....buy a can of biscuits. :lol: :lol: :hide:

You definitely have a point and that's probably what I will do. :lol: ;-)
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Would you care to share your recipe? That bread looks very good. My step-mom makes bread occasionally. (that means not often enough to suit me :lol2: )
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:49 pm

If you haven't already tried sprinkling some celery seed and some course ground salt on it you should. Of course after you lather it with cow butter
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:29 am

Looks like the old country Italian bread my Aunts used to make.

Try cutting a slice of it while it's still hot, and drizzling it with some EVOO and a few drops of red wine vinegar.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:19 pm

I'm a complete and total failure when it comes to making bread and rolls from scratch. I've made enough "brick bread" in my life that I could've built a cabin with it, sprayed it down with verathane, and it would last a lifetime. Thank God for Rhoades frozen dough.
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:38 pm

Kathie in Thorp wrote:I'm a complete and total failure when it comes to making bread and rolls from scratch. I've made enough "brick bread" in my life that I could've built a cabin with it, sprayed it down with verathane, and it would last a lifetime. Thank God for Rhoades frozen dough.

I bought some proof and bake rolls from "Mom's Pantry" to use in a pinch. They are delicious and just like you bought them fresh from a bakery after you bake them. Totally bomb proof.
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:43 pm

talltimber wrote:Would you care to share your recipe? That bread looks very good. My step-mom makes bread occasionally. (that means not often enough to suit me :lol2: )

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/basic-homemade-bread
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).

However I added about 12 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of vanilla flavoring to it on my own.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:40 pm

(nesikep) My mother is a pro at it.. we also mill our own flour.

A recipe I remember is 3 ladles of our flour, 2 ladles of store bought 'whole wheat' flour, 1 ladle of white flour, about a heaped teaspoon of "Fermipan" dry yeast, and salt. mix well, let rise for a couple hours, bake. Made a really good bread.

If we didn't have our own flour I swear I'd starve. Even if we buy whole wheat bread from the local bakery it doesn't have the nutritional value to keep me fed while working hard until lunch

I am not a baker, but I suspect you have left out a key ingredient in that recipe--maybe more..
seems like it would be awful dry if made like that..
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:42 pm

greybeard wrote:
(nesikep) My mother is a pro at it.. we also mill our own flour.

A recipe I remember is 3 ladles of our flour, 2 ladles of store bought 'whole wheat' flour, 1 ladle of white flour, about a heaped teaspoon of "Fermipan" dry yeast, and salt. mix well, let rise for a couple hours, bake. Made a really good bread.

If we didn't have our own flour I swear I'd starve. Even if we buy whole wheat bread from the local bakery it doesn't have the nutritional value to keep me fed while working hard until lunch

I am not a baker, but I suspect you have left out a key ingredient in that recipe--maybe more..
seems like it would be awful dry if made like that..

Sugar and water. ;-)
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:24 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
talltimber wrote:Would you care to share your recipe? That bread looks very good. My step-mom makes bread occasionally. (that means not often enough to suit me :lol2: )

3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
Directions
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).

However I added about 12 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of vanilla flavoring to it on my own.

Thank you. That sounds really good.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:41 am

talltimber wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
Directions

Thank you. That sounds really good.

You are welcome. I hope it works better for you than me.
0 x

I luv herfrds
GURU
GURU

Postby I luv herfrds » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:13 pm

Here is my favorite roll recipe. From Hubby's Grandmother's recipes.

2c scalded milk, add 2T sugar, 2t salt and 2T shortening; I use the butter flavored Crisco.
In a measuring cup put in 1/2c warm water, 1t sugar and 1 pkg of yeast and let dissolve.
Once scalded milk has cooled to room temp put in a large mixing bowl add the yeast mixture to it and stir.
In a large mixing bowl start adding flour. It depends upon your flour how much you add. I use an all purpose.
Will take anywhere from 3cups to 5 cups of flour. Keep mixing until you get to a slightly sticky dough. It will pull away but still have a sticky feel.
Cover and let rise until double in size. Punch down.
Now how he remembers his Grandmother doing it was she would take a piece of dough about the size of a golf ball and flatten it out and spread a little butter in the center and fold up the edges and put it in a greased pan and let rise again.
Then bake it in a 375 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes til golden brown.

I double the sugar in the milk mixture and make cinnamon rolls with this dough.
0 x
No Skin Off My Nose.
Never eat meals with EMS, firefighters or Ranchers.
Red and White's Are Pure Delight.

"Sign of a good heart Chris." Northern Rancher

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”