Highgrit

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Highgrit

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:24 am

I meant to say during thanksgiving I made that Peanut butter cream pie and it was great.. Thanks for bringing that up. Now on to joes recipe
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Re: Highgrit

Postby Alan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:28 am

I'm a sucker for peanut butter and also creampie! That sounds great ......... Would anyone please share a recipe ....... Sky maybe? :lol: If you don't mind sharing the recipe I would love to give it a try.

Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:36 am

2 1/2 pounds raw duck bones (about 2 carcasses)
1 onion, peeled and sliced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
4 ribs celery, sliced
5 fresh parsley stems
5 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
2 whole star anise
1/2 cinnamon stick
1/2 tablespoon whole allspice
1 gallon water
Duck Gravy Filling:
2 ounces unsalted butter
2 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour
2 legs duck confit, skin removed, meat shredded
2/3 cup peeled and diced carrots
2/3 cup diced onion
Duck Stock: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lay the duck bones out on a sheet tray. Put the tray on the middle rack in the oven. Roast the bones until they are a deep golden brown, about 1 hour.

Drain any fat from the tray and put the bones in a stockpot. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for about 3 hours. Skim off any fat that accumulates at the top with a ladle while it is simmering.

After 3 hours, strain the stock. You should yield about 2 quarts of stock, if you have ended up with much more continue to simmer it until reduced to 2 quarts. Set aside.

Duck Gravy Filling: Melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepot. Do not let the butter brown. Whisk in the flour and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it turns very light brown, about 5 minutes. Slowly whisk in 6 cups of the hot duck stock. Make sure to add the stock very slowly, whisking the entire time to avoid getting any lumps. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and add all the remaining ingredients, except for the five-spice powder. Simmer until the gravy thickly coats the back of a spoon and the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Season the gravy, to taste, with salt, pepper, and the five-spice powder.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Assemble the potpie. Roll out 2 refrigerated pie crusts to about 13 inches in diameter. Lay 1 crust in a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate, making sure to have at least 1/2-inch extra hanging over the sides of the dish. Fill with about 1/2 of the potpie filling, or until the filling is just under the level of the top of the dish. Gently, lay the other crust over the top. Trim the edges of the crust with scissors so that you have only about 1/2-inch extra. Tuck the crusts under all around and crimp closed using a fork. Brush the top of the pie with the egg white. Cut 3 small slits in the center of the pie. Put the pie on a sheet tray and bake in the preheated oven until the crust is golden brown and the center is piping hot, about 1 hour.

Recipe courtesy Jessica O'Donnell, Executive Chef at Good Dog Bar and Restaurant in Philadelphia, PA
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:43 am

Alan,
This is what I used

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pean ... -cream-pie

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + chilling MAKES: 6-8 servings

Ingredients 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened

3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

1/2 cup peanut butter

6 tablespoons milk

1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed

1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)

1/4 cup chopped peanuts

Directions 1.In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. beat in sugar and peanut butter. Gradually add milk. Fold in whipped topping; spoon into the crust. Sprinkle with peanuts. Chill overnight. Yield: 6-8 servings.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Deepsouth
GURU
GURU
Location: where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far north

Postby Deepsouth » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:51 am

M5, that sounds very good but I have one question. Does it matter what color the duck is?
0 x
I don't plant taters and I don't plant cotton but I keep rolling along.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:53 am

I hope Renagade makes to trip out west.

Cheval à la mode
Take a piece of the best horse meat, fry with lardons in horse grease, put in a casserole with onions, carrots, a bouquet of fine herbs, a bay leaf, thyme, garlic, cloves, salt and pepper; pour in a glass of water, a half-glass of white wine or a tablespoon of eau-de-vie; cook over a small fire for about six hours; skim off the fat before serving.

Not meaning to hijack this thread, looking forward to seeing you in that Duck shirt with tears running down your face M5. :mrgreen:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:55 am

Deepsouth wrote:M5, that sounds very good but I have one question. Does it matter what color the duck is?

Nice to see you decided to quit pouting and come back to play.
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:56 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Alan,
This is what I used

1/2 cup peanut butter

6 tablespoons milk

1/4 cup chopped peanuts

Directions 1.In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. beat in sugar and peanut butter. Gradually add milk. Fold in whipped topping; spoon into the crust. Sprinkle with peanuts. Chill overnight. Yield: 6-8 servings.

Thanks Sky! Complete hijack by these crimenoles!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:03 am

Alan wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Alan,
This is what I used

1/2 cup peanut butter

6 tablespoons milk

1/4 cup chopped peanuts

Thanks Sky! Complete hijack by these crimenoles!

YW Hijacks seem to be the growing trend these days
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:09 am

Alan wrote:I'm a sucker for peanut butter and also creampie! That sounds great ......... Would anyone please share a recipe ....... Sky maybe? :lol: If you don't mind sharing the recipe I would love to give it a try.

Alan

How did I hijack the thread you asked for a recipe ?????????????
just because you like Peanut butter and cream pie. your request did not specify

If I posted a recipe for fruit cake would your green and yeller panties still be in a wad. :hide:
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:16 am

Now how can I argue with that logic! Kind of like going in front of a schools code of conduct panel, refusing to answer any questions and being found not guilty of breaking any conduct rules. :shock: :hide:
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:20 am

Alan wrote:Now how can I argue with that logic! Kind of like going in front of a schools code of conduct panel, refusing to answer any questions and being found not guilty of breaking any conduct rules. :shock: :hide:

HIJACK<< HIJACK<< now where is my lock button
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:29 am

M5farm wrote:
Alan wrote:Now how can I argue with that logic! Kind of like going in front of a schools code of conduct panel, refusing to answer any questions and being found not guilty of breaking any conduct rules. :shock: :hide:

HIJACK<< HIJACK<< now where is my lock button

:lol: :lol: poor Highgrit probably hasn't even opened this thread yet!
0 x

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Postby highgrit » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:17 pm

For those that might be interested. Google, Simonsen's Peanut butter pie. That's my Grandmother and she was quite the cook in her day.
0 x
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

Williamsv
GURU
GURU

Postby Williamsv » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks for sharing the site for your grandmother's peanut butter pie recipe.It must be delicious with all the raves that it got. Also a beautiful picture of a slice. Can't wait to try it. Never saw a recipe for peanut butter pie like that with beautiful meringue, but it sure looks like a winner.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”