Please share your chili recipes

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Please share your chili recipes

Postby ohiosteve » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:03 pm

My daughter and I make chili purt near every weekend. We almost always make it the same with slight variations I'm just looking for some new ideas. We always make it pretty mild and I spice mine up with some hot sauce. We throw it in our big crock pot usually in the morning on low and its ready to eat for lunch with plenty of leftovers.

Our go-to recipe
-2 lbs browned ground beef seasoned to taste with salt, garlic powder and pepper.
-28 oz chopped maters seasoned with oregano and basil
-28 oz Bushes mild chili beans
-16 oz sweet corn
Today I used 1 lb ground venison and 1 lb ground pork sausage.
My daughter likes to use Bushes homestyle baked beans which is pretty good but a tad too sweet for my taste.
We might have to start making 2 smaller batches that might be fun.

Anyways I'd like to hear some of your chili recipes, thanks.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Hook
GURU
GURU

Re: Please share your chili recipes

Postby Hook » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:15 pm

A good chili is just thrown together on a cold day
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Or any day for that matter. I just wish my daughter was a little more tolerant of spicy foods. She is getting a little better though sometimes I'll sneak a pepper or two in and tell her after she has taken a few bites and she's ok with it.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Chili magic chili starter.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Sounds just like what we make except no corn. Anothing this is i use ranch beans. We can only get them at walmart here though. I can eat chili any day of the year. Even when its 110 degrees
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:06 pm

My go to is a simple Texas Red.

When I want something different, I like a pork or beef chili verde or a pork or beef chili Colorado

0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

LazyARanch
GURU
GURU

Postby LazyARanch » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:16 pm

I never make it the same way twice... sometimes it's HOT, sometimes kinda sweet... always good!
0 x
"If you want to know where your heart is, look where your mind goes when it wanders." Henri Frederic Amie
Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the M is silent...

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:21 pm

No beans in my chili anytime.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:25 pm

I don't know if frito chili pie is common all over the country but it is here.
Put Fritos in the bottom of the bowl, then chilli then dill pickle slices and cheese. Some people also put slaw in it too but I don't like slaw.
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:27 pm

My chili really doesn't have a recipe, pound and a half of hamburger, chili beans, tomatoes, chili powder, light on the hot peppers, chopped onion. But I make a big batch, eat it for a couple of days and then vacuum pack the rest and freeze the rest, that becomes my starter for the next batch which I might twist a little.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:28 pm

jedstivers wrote:I don't know if frito chili pie is common all over the country but it is here.
Put Fritos in the bottom of the bowl, then chilli then dill pickle slices and cheese. Some people also put slaw in it too but I don't like slaw.

We have that also, love it ....... Ah without the pickles. :lol:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:40 pm

I prefer mine without beans also, and don't think I want corn in it either. As I said on another discussion, when you start putting too many vegetables in it it's not chili anymore, it's soup. The only vegetables I want in mine are tomatoes, peppers, and onions.

My mother-in-law used to cut up a steak and add it to the ground meat. I highly recommend that.

I also like to eat mine with Fritos, and I'm okay with cheese, but pickles? That's just wrong.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Alan wrote:
jedstivers wrote:I don't know if frito chili pie is common all over the country but it is here.

We have that also, love it ....... Ah without the pickles. :lol:

The pickles are what make it. I really don't like chilli but I can eat it with that stuff.
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:31 pm

I like some " chow-chow" or spicy pickle relish on mine. Never seen chili w corn in it...
I've seen people pour chili right into a small bag of corn chips. No clean up. Just toss the bag when your done.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Postby MO_cows » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:02 pm

That first recipe doesn't have enough "chili" in it to suit me. It doesn't have to be so hot it blows up your insides, but it has to have chili flavor. The best peppers for that I have found so far, guajillo chiles. They aren't hot but have a ton of chili flavor. I bought a big bag of them, dried, and have been grinding them up fresh as needed. A tablespoon or two of ground guajillo chiles, plus some ancho chili powder, a couple, three chipotles out of the can and some cumin are what gives it the best "chili" flavor, at least for me. Adding the corn makes it more of a chili stew or soup. I do like beans and tomatoes in a pot of chili even though that isn't "real chili". I grew up eating chili with kidney beans, but I like pintos better.
0 x
It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with the simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
Laura Ingalls Wilder

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”