How rare do you like you steak.

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Re: How rare do you like you steak.

Postby Ouachita » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:41 pm

I never knew what a good steak was until after I graduated high school and started traveling. My parents both cooked everything until it was a brick. After I had good cut cooked medium I thought I was in heaven and felt like my parents had deprived me :lol: . I started experimenting with steaks on MY grill. It has taken years, but after buying my mom a meat thermometer and showing her we were not killing ourselves, she agrees she likes her steaks about medium. I think most folks would call my steaks rare pushing medium rare. I like mine seared good, and pink and juicy pretty much throughout.
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Ouachita wrote:
hillsdown wrote:Image

This is just about perfect for me.

Perfect!!

Exactly perfect.
0 x

James T
Rancher
Rancher

Postby James T » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Ouachita wrote:I never knew what a good steak was until after I graduated high school and started traveling. My parents both cooked everything until it was a brick. After I had good cut cooked medium I thought I was in heaven and felt like my parents had deprived me :lol: . I started experimenting with steaks on MY grill. It has taken years, but after buying my mom a meat thermometer and showing her we were not killing ourselves, she agrees she likes her steaks about medium. I think most folks would call my steaks rare pushing medium rare. I like mine seared good, and pink and juicy pretty much throughout.

A meat thermometer is the only way to go. Have ordered expensive steaks at restaurants that used the timer method and every time they got it wrong.

My choice, medium rare.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:22 pm

jedstivers wrote:
Toad wrote:I'm not into steak all that much but now a chicken fried steak with gravy never lasts long around here.

I absolutely positively hate chicken fried steak. If it's something that's going to be chicken fried it better dam well be chicken.

There's nothing wrong with a good chicken fried steak, but they're hard to find.

And medium rare for my steaks, please.

Someone mentioned that they might not be able to afford to have a steer butchered at current prices. I've thought about that quite a bit, and while I haven't put a pencil to it, I'm still eating my own beef. I've heard some folks say it's cheaper to sell your cattle and buy beef, but I don't believe they've considered the fact that when you sell an animal you declare that as income, so it's figured in your taxes. Then when you buy beef you're buying it with money that you earned, and therefore paid income tax on. Plus I just like having a freezer full of beef.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:33 pm

I don't like hamburger either and if you butcher one your going to have a whole bunch of it. I'll keep selling the whole calf and buying the cuts I want.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:53 pm

jedstivers wrote:I don't like hamburger either and if you butcher one your going to have a whole bunch of it. I'll keep selling the whole calf and buying the cuts I want.

Do what works for you.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Postby highgrit » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:58 pm

How much beef can a family eat in a year? We eat a lot as a family and no way would we be able to eat a steer in one year. Between shrimp, fish, chicken, pork, and venison, turkey, I don't see the economics of raising and butchering a steer.
0 x
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:12 pm

highgrit wrote:How much beef can a family eat in a year? We eat a lot as a family and no way would we be able to eat a steer in one year. Between shrimp, fish, chicken, pork, and venison, turkey, I don't see the economics of raising and butchering a steer.

You had me until venison and turkey :lol: :cowboy:

I agree about buying cuts you will use, unless you know how to prepare and use everything, that makes a lot of sense and you should be $'s ahead.
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Postby highgrit » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:24 pm

HD, I left scallops, oysters and crabs off my list. And I know you like scallops also. My wife could eat scallops 2-3 times a week if we'd let her.
0 x
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:59 pm

I like my steak cooked in an oven, in an iron skillet.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:12 pm

We have been broiling them on a cookie sheet. Either chuckeyes or ribeyes.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:27 pm

jedstivers wrote:We have been broiling them on a cookie sheet. Either chuckeyes or ribeyes.

Soak em in sales sauce for about 30 minutes, before cooking. It won't disappoint you.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:03 pm

jedstivers wrote:I haven't tried a steak cooked like this but I have a friend that loves to cook them in his Yeti cooler. Here's the method, also lots of other sites bedside this one. He highly recommends it.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook ... -hack.html

That's how we do tri-tip. Marinate with basque sauce and make a big pile of stir fry veggies and then broil it all for a few minutes for some char :nod:
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:09 pm

I love burger meat.. so many uses for it, from meat patties to spaghetti sauce and chili.

Butcher an animal, steaks and burger, with a little bit of roast and stew.

I'll pass on chicken and all other meats quite readily, though I do like duck once in a while.

HD, that steak does look perfect :)
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:42 am

Brown on the outside pink in the middle with lots of blood still coming out. I ordered a rare steak on a cruise ship I cut into it and blood poured all over my plate had family members asking if I needed to send it back I said nope it is perfect I think I grossed a few of them out lol.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”