Small Town Cafes

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Small Town Cafes

Postby wacocowboy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:29 pm

What is your favorite small town café, or what are some good ones you have eaten at. I am always looking for a new place to eat at when I am away from home, and small town cafes, bbq joints, and burger shacks are always better then the big chains.

Coffee Shop in McGregor TX.
Sale Barn café in Groesbeck TX.
Lakeview in Marlin TX.
Franks in Marlin TX.
Kosse Café in Kosse TX.
Drilling Rig in Mexia TX.
Cozy Café in Mart TX.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Re: Small Town Cafes

Postby HDRider » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:49 pm

I use Yelp.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:56 pm

wacocowboy wrote:What is your favorite small town café, or what are some good ones you have eaten at. I am always looking for a new place to eat at when I am away from home, and small town cafes, bbq joints, and burger shacks are always better then the big chains.

Coffee Shop in McGregor TX. 4 star
Sale Barn café in Groesbeck TX. 4 1/2 stars
Lakeview in Marlin TX. 4 stars
Franks in Marlin TX. not rated
Kosse Café in Kosse TX. 4 1/2 stars
Drilling Rig in Mexia TX. not rated
Cozy Café in Mart TX. not listed

Findings on Yelp. 5 stars is perfect
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:14 pm

We have a place here called Ferrell's. It's supposed to be pretty well known. They make a thin little hamburger that does have a very distinct taste. Predominantly older ladies work in it. They argue with each other, and fuss at the customers. I guess it's part of the ambiance. I haven't been in it in years. The owner sits, and rolls every hamburger ball and weighs it. I have seen her remove a tiny tiny pinch of meat many times, to get it just right.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:20 pm

Bigfoot wrote:We have a place here called Ferrell's. It's supposed to be pretty well known. They make a thin little hamburger that does have a very distinct taste. Predominantly older ladies work in it. They argue with each other, and fuss at the customers. I guess it's part of the ambiance. I haven't been in it in years. The owner sits, and rolls every hamburger ball and weighs it. I have seen her remove a tiny tiny pinch of meat many times, to get it just right.

You should make a point to go there soon Bigfoot. One day you're liable to get a hankering and they'll be shut down a out of business. We are losing cool local spots like that all too often these days.

Dotson's in Franklin, TN was a great old diner that recently sold out to a developer near me.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:39 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:We have a place here called Ferrell's. It's supposed to be pretty well known. They make a thin little hamburger that does have a very distinct taste. Predominantly older ladies work in it. They argue with each other, and fuss at the customers. I guess it's part of the ambiance. I haven't been in it in years. The owner sits, and rolls every hamburger ball and weighs it. I have seen her remove a tiny tiny pinch of meat many times, to get it just right.

You should make a point to go there soon Bigfoot. One day you're liable to get a hankering and they'll be shut down a out of business. We are losing cool local spots like that all too often these days.

Dotson's in Franklin, TN was a great old diner that recently sold out to a developer near me.

This place has been owned by the same person since the 30's. Stools only, no tables. It is very unique. Been 15 years or longer since I've been in it. I need to take my kids.

Everybody in town claims to have been in there when the following story happened, but my Dad was actually in there. Back in the 70's when streaking was the rage, somebody decided to run through it naked. It has a front door, and a back door. At some point at night, they lock the back door. The poor guy got the back door, and couldn't get out. He had to run back through to the front. The night cook a lady named Big Red (R.I.P.), jumped the counter, and clothes lined the guy knocking him unconscious.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:43 pm

Lol! Ya see? Can't get that at a Denny's.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Postby highgrit » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:47 pm

My wife owned the Old Dixie Dinner in Jupiter Florida, for 15 years. All the desserts were home made daily. And the menu even had a Rebel flag on the front cover, so you know it was, good southern home cooking.
0 x
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:17 pm

There was a little barbecue place in Navasota 30-some years ago; I don't think it had more than 4 or 5 tables. I ate there several times a week, so the lady who ran it knew me. It didn't even have a separate kitchen, just a kitchen stove against the wall. When I'd walk in the lady wouldn't even get up from her chair. I'd grab a plate, go over to the stove, load it up with whatever looked good, sit down and eat, and give her the money on the way out.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:35 pm

Downtown Restaurant in Giddings is pretty good..but locally, I wouldn't really recommend any of the small places. Their food will make a turd, but that's about as far as I will go.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Not many good cafes left around my area.

Cattleman's Cafe in Blue Ridge, TX is one that was extremely popular years ago, but has changed owners and recipes. Still good but not the same. The other is Bucky's in Caddo Mills, TX. Bucky's is fairly new and they are trying to bring back the country cafe atmosphere and good food. The best burger joints include CB's in Greenville, TX, The One and Only Burger and Bakers in McKinney, TX.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:20 pm

Here's a video of ours. It's the best bbq in the south.
Now you get the sauce in a plastic water bottle but I remember when you got a 1/2pt whiskey bottle full of sauce.
I bought 3lbs this week.
The video is also a good representation of our town except where the dumbazz said "there's people working in the fields" and it was a garden in town.
Google jones bbq, Marianna ar.
Last edited by jedstivers on Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:42 pm

0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:48 pm

jedstivers wrote:Here's a video of ours. It's the best bbq in the south.
Now you get the sauce in a plastic water bottle but I remember when you got a 1/2pt whiskey bottle full of sauce.
I bought 3lbs this week.
The video is also a good representation of our town except where the dumbazz said "there's people working in the fields" and it was a garden in town.

Jed, you took us to this place didnt you. I didnt remember the name but recognized the inside of the resturant.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:54 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
jedstivers wrote:Here's a video of ours. It's the best bbq in the south.
I bought 3lbs this week.

Jed, you took us to this place didnt you. I didnt remember the name but recognized the inside of the resturant.

No we didn't go there. I think they were already closed for the day.
They also bbq anything you take to them. Lot of deer and coon done.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”