Sausage Gravy

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
chippie
GURU
GURU

Re: Sausage Gravy

Postby chippie » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:31 pm

I make this with hamburger for a quick dinner. Add a salad and you are good to go.

Hamburger or Sausage Gravy and biscuits

For Gravy:
For Gravy:
½ cup butter (1 stick)
¼ cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup milk
1 lb. hamburger or sausage (optional)

Fry crumpled hamburger or sausage in frying pan until not pink in the middle, remove meat and set aside, drain out all but a Tbsp of fat and put butter into frying pan and melt until bubbling . Whip together milk, flour and spices until foamy. Add to melted butter stirring constantly, add meat if using. Bring to a boil stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until gravy starts to thicken. Remove from heat and set to cool. Gravy will thicken while cooling. If Gravy thickens too much simply add a splash or two of milk. Pour over biscuits and serve.

For biscuits:

White Lily Cream Biscuits

Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
Makes: 12 biscuits

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour (you can use another brand, but White Lily is the absolute best for biscuits and cakes. It is made from a different variety of wheat than average flour).
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup butter (for brushing top of biscuits)

Instructions:

1. HEAT oven to 500°F. (I set my oven at 475 because it bakes hot)
2. PLACE flour in large bowl. Gradually stir in cream, adding only enough to moisten flour to a sticky dough.
3. TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Fold two times to form a ball. Pat or roll dough gently to 1/2-inch thickness.
4. CUT with floured 2-inch biscuit cutter, leaving as little dough between cuts as possible. Gather remaining dough and re-roll one time; cut as described above. Discard scraps.
5. PLACE biscuits on baking sheet with sides touching for soft Southern-style biscuits or close together but not touching for biscuit with crisp sides. Brush tops with melted butter. I use a small cutter and a greased 8 inch cake pan and put the biscuits in as tight as possible. I learned this from an old ranch chuckwagon cook. The biscuits can only go one way which is up. They will be really tall with golden tops and light as a feather inside.
6. BAKE 8 to 10 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Serve hot out of the oven.
TIP Biscuit dough does not need to be kneaded except just to form a ball. A few gentle folds is enough. It is a common mistake in biscuit making to overhandle the dough.

I grease my cake, biscuit and muffin pans with homemade cake release. It is equal parts of shortening (like Crisco), flour and oil. Mix or blend it all together and brush on your pans with a pastry or silicone brush. I make it in a wide mouth mason jar and use an immersion blender to mix it. It can be stored at room temperature. Stir before using if needed.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:47 pm

M-5 wrote:Id try em .

Sobre gustos no hay nada escritos!!!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

MO_cows
GURU
GURU

Postby MO_cows » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:10 pm

I would bet the canned gravy is gross. The "just add water" packets of white gravy actually don't taste bad but look at the label. Sodium, hydrogenated oils and preservatives. Good old sausage grease is better for ya and tastes better too. I usually don't have enough grease off the sausage so I add butter to make the roux. And it is good with hamburger, too, kind of reminds you of chicken fried steak without the breading. Make it yourself, the sodium, trans fats and preservatives will kill you, plus it tastes better homemade and only takes a few minutes. Save Chippie's and HD's recipes.
0 x
It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with the simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong.
Laura Ingalls Wilder

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:52 am

chippie wrote:I make this with hamburger for a quick dinner. Add a salad and you are good to go.

For Gravy:
For Gravy:
½ cup butter (1 stick)
¼ cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup milk

Fry crumpled hamburger or sausage in frying pan until not pink in the middle, remove meat and set aside, drain out all but a Tbsp of fat and put butter into frying pan and melt until bubbling . Whip together milk, flour and spices until foamy. Add to melted butter stirring constantly, add meat if using. Bring to a boil stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until gravy starts to thicken. Remove from heat and set to cool. Gravy will thicken while cooling. If Gravy thickens too much simply add a splash or two of milk. Pour over biscuits and serve.

Chippie this sounds like what we call "Shyt on a shingle". :mrgreen: ;-) Spread it over a piece of toast or biscuit and it's great.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wlamarparmer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:42 am

For me I use the prepackaged gravy, and add my desired sausage. But, to go back to early 60's
military, SOS, whether chipped beef or ground was always for me acceptable alternative. The cooks would plop an egg on top or let You eat "as is", but rib sticking, and You didn't worry about hunger before lunch. Not 5 star restaurant but filled lots of hungry bellies. Weird, but I like .
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:50 am

I can knock back some SOS myself on occasion. That's good eating right there. I never had it before I was in the Army. It became a morning staple.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:25 pm

TexasBred wrote:
chippie wrote:Chippie this sounds like what we call "Shyt on a shingle". :mrgreen: ;-) Spread it over a piece of toast or biscuit and it's great.

:lol: it does look like heck , but it tastes great
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon May 11, 2015 10:36 pm

TB, You find yourself going thru the "too thick-too thin' thing, try using a couple tablespoons of cornstarch instead of flour. Cornstarch is what is in any packaged gravy mix to make it thick when mixed with water and heated. Make your gravy as usual and if it's too thin:
In a regular coffeecup, put a heaping tablespoon of any cornstarch, add enough hot tap water to fill the cup about 1/3 full and stir it to a paste. Slowly add that paste to your hot gravy mix, drizzling a little at a time, stirring as you go until it gets the thickness you want. t the right temperature, it can thicken in a hurry so don't drizzle too much at one time. Cornstarch will also add a nice slick sheen to the surface of the gravy.
Lots of times, if there isn't really enough beef drippings left I make dishes with brown gravy mix, but the mix only makes one cup per package, so I cheat. One package of gravy mix (for the taste) , one can of beef broth, one can of water. Bring to a simmer while stirring with a wire whisk, start adding corn starch paste to thicken it. Sometimes I will use a crushed up beef bullion cube or powdered beef bullion if I don't have any brown gravy mix--I buy the powdered bullion stuff at H-E-B.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

John SD
GURU
GURU

Postby John SD » Mon May 11, 2015 11:00 pm

TexasBred wrote:
chippie wrote:I make this with hamburger for a quick dinner. Add a salad and you are good to go.

For Gravy:
For Gravy:
½ cup butter (1 stick)
¼ cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup milk

Chippie this sounds like what we call "Shyt on a shingle". :mrgreen: ;-) Spread it over a piece of toast or biscuit and it's great.

Not quite sure how she made it, but a neighbor lady used to make the best hamburger gravy. One of the "secret ingredients" was cream of mushroom soup :idea:

As far as sausage gravy, I'd say the best I ever et was at the continental breakfast at an AmericInn in Aberdeen SD during the fall/early winter pheasant season. Best overall motel breakfast I ever had. i think they were especially putting on the dog for the pheasant hunters :idea:

They had biscuits and link sausage and the gravy had sausage in it. Naturally I covered my plate with sliced biscuits, lots of sausage on the biscuits, and lots of the sausage gravy over the top :heart: :heart: :heart: :D :D :D
0 x
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness
copyright July 4, 1776

Smile and do something nice for a liberal today. It will drive them nuts!

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”