Jo Help me out please

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Jo Help me out please

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:18 am

Jo,
Can you give me a good recipe for this SOB He has been a busy beaver and creating alot of problems. He won't be hard to kill as he loves to show me his swimming skills and water slapping skills but I needed a recipe before i did.

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Jo Help me out please

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Recipe is in the cleaning. Just be careful and remove the castor gland and oil sac then clean like anything else. Smoked whole is great or cut up and use it like you would beef. They say the indians loved tail. I'd toss it myself. Rest of it tastes just like extremely tender beef. Just like it. Can't go wrong as long as you clean it right.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Recipe is in the cleaning. Just be careful and remove the castor gland and oil sac then clean like anything else. Smoked whole is great or cut up and use it like you would beef. They say the indians loved tail. I'd toss it myself. Rest of it tastes just like extremely tender beef. Just like it. Can't go wrong as long as you clean it right.

I never cleaned one so im sure I will eff it up somehow and the meat will be rank. I do love tail myself but not on a critter 8)
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:59 pm

Nothing to it. Just look between the rear legs and you will see the mound. Take a razor or something sharp and gently cut the skin to expose the glands. They are the size of calves nuts so you can't miss them. Whatever you do, don't cut into them. Just pull the skin back and take you fingers and pull on them a little and use the knife to gently cut them out. Then you can sell the caster or toss it. Wash you hands and that area then skin like you would a coon or a rabbit. You won't care for the tail unless you like to eat beef fat because that's all it is. Just fat.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:09 pm

http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/be ... moval.html
There's how you take'em out. Now for the love of all things holy, do not throw the castor or oil sac away! Give them to a local trapper, freeze them, or put the castor on your ice cream, just don't throw them away.

:lol:
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:48 pm

I make lure with mine. Stuff works wonders. Lots more potent than store bought lure. Probably cause its organic. LOL
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:39 am

Jogeephus wrote:Nothing to it. Just look between the rear legs and you will see the mound. Take a razor or something sharp and gently cut the skin to expose the glands. They are the size of calves nuts so you can't miss them. Whatever you do, don't cut into them. Just pull the skin back and take you fingers and pull on them a little and use the knife to gently cut them out. Then you can sell the caster or toss it. Wash you hands and that area then skin like you would a coon or a rabbit. You won't care for the tail unless you like to eat beef fat because that's all it is. Just fat.

sim.-ang.king wrote:http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/beaver_castor_removal.html
There's how you take'em out. Now for the love of all things holy, do not throw the castor or oil sac away! Give them to a local trapper, freeze them, or put the castor on your ice cream, just don't throw them away.

:lol:

Thanks yall for all the info... No thank you on putting it on my ice cream I will pass. Trappersteve here traps maybe he will want those glands.

Jogeephus wrote:I make lure with mine. Stuff works wonders. Lots more potent than store bought lure. Probably cause its organic. LOL

Organic is the cure all :D
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”