Charcoal Question

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Charcoal Question

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:16 pm

Anyone have any idea of the ideal distance a grill should have between the charcoal and the grate? I've got some scrap metal and am playing around with the idea of building a grill just for steaks. I've got some heavy gauge metal pieces that I think would really put the sear on a steak once heated, just need to get the distance right. I read where most grills are set for 5" but this is a compromise for burgers because the ideal heat for steaks would burn the burgers before they were completely cooked. Thanks
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Charcoal Question

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:24 pm

No replies and the grill is done. If I screw up my steaks its all your fault!
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Deepsouth
GURU
GURU
Location: where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far north

Postby Deepsouth » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:25 pm

It should be adjustable.
0 x
I don't plant taters and I don't plant cotton but I keep rolling along.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:26 pm

I would think about 6-8 inches
Last edited by skyhightree1 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Deepsouth
GURU
GURU

Postby Deepsouth » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:26 pm

And you were a little impatient with us.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:29 pm

Didn't see it Jo. I have and egg style grill and I yse lump charcoal. It is approx 10" from bottom to grill grate. Because of the design I can regulate temp from 200 to 600deg for sresk I like it at 500deg. I only cook it for 30 sec 15 on each side. Lump charcoal is the only way to go.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Deepsouth wrote:And you were a little impatient with us.

Waiting on ya'll is like backing up. :lol2: I'll just blame ya'll if the steaks don't turn out good.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Jogeephus wrote:

Waiting on ya'll is like backing up. :lol2: I'll just blame ya'll if the steaks don't turn out good.

So how close did you put the grill to the coals? And be sure to let us know how the steaks turn out.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Postby highgrit » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:16 am

I know nothing about the how high a grill needs to be to cook steaks.
But I'm a excellent taste tester.
0 x
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:40 am

Adjustable would have been nice, although running the grates on a slant (say 4 to 6 inches) would also be good.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:52 pm

M-5 wrote:Didn't see it Jo. I have and egg style grill and I yse lump charcoal. It is approx 10" from bottom to grill grate. Because of the design I can regulate temp from 200 to 600deg for sresk I like it at 500deg. I only cook it for 30 sec 15 on each side. Lump charcoal is the only way to go.

Why don't you just get you a couple of bites right off the steer and let the critter live until the next steak dinner and repeat. Course the meat would be over 100 degrees which is probably too hot. :mrgreen: :lol2:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:13 pm

There's a lot of factors. How much you load the coals, how much air etc. 4-6" would be a safe bet. Build a threaded rod in the middle and make it adjustable.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:04 pm

Sure am glad I asked Google and didn't wait for you guys. :lol2: Wasn't trying to smoke them or reinvent the wheel and build a copycat Weber. Wanted to build the Steak-n-ater. Something that would do justice to a steak. Something that would put a 700F sear with minimal charcoal. Did end up making it adjustable so I can do burgers - grate set at 5" for this but for the steaks the grate is set 3.5" off the coals. Trial run showed 723F but I'm not quibbling over 23F. Threw some venison on to test and it did wonderful. Just one problem. I will be needing some longer tongs because I singed all the hair off my hands and arms flipping the meat.

I'm posting this picture trusting that one of you deviants won't go and file a patent on the Steak-n-ater®.

Less than a minute on each side.

The Bug is getting in tonight and she has requested some real food. So tonight we will grill some Imbalancer for her homecoming meal.

I just gotta find some longer tongs. I think I have first degree burns on my arm. :oops: :lol2:
0 x

Deepsouth
GURU
GURU

Postby Deepsouth » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:28 pm

Jogeephus wrote:

There are some slackers on here. Most of them are from Florida and Tennessee but there's at least one from oregon.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:38 pm

Deepsouth wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

There are some slackers on here. Most of them are from Florida and Tennessee but there's at least one from oregon.

Ain't that the truth! And to think the guilt they would have had to bare had I not found the way on my own. Would have been brutal. Tortuous for sure.

Heck, I'm actually surprised no one suggested using a microwave and why Alan didn't suggest using the infrared pizza thing a majigger he recently purchased. You know darn well he's already run a steak through it. If he hasn't, I can assure you he's spent many a sleepless nights contemplating it. Or maybe he's just keeping his secrets to himself.
0 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”